Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 04:21 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,583,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
^^ Cucumber?
HAHA, yea that's the one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 04:26 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
Australia is about the size of the US minus Alaska, so it's hardly 'much smaller'. It takes 5.5 hours to fly from Brisbane to Perth.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:49 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

Portsmouth sounds pretty good as far as the UK goes. Winters would still be better than snowy places. Summer sounds pretty decent . I wouldn't mind Portsmouth's summer minimums -the summer minimums here are just plain ridiculous at times.
How long is your frost free season? Is there any month in which 0C has never been recorded where you are?

Old 11-28-2014, 01:48 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
How long is your frost free season? Is there any month in which 0C has never been recorded where you are?
I can't find any official stats for my area, but I'm guessing the first frost here would typically be in the second week of April, and the last one in the first week of November. Frost free season isn't really a term used in NZ, probably because the advent of frost doesn't have a lot of impact for the majority of agriculture/horticulture.

OC is rare in summer months, but temperatures below 5C aren't too unusual. That's only on the coast though. Go more than about 10km inland, or any higher than about 300 metres, and summer frost would probably be a yearly event.

One event that stands out, was a -3C frost on the tobacco farm I grew up on. That was in mid February, and laid the whole crop low. Little wonder that the area had the nick name of Siberia Flat

Old 11-28-2014, 07:55 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,880,130 times
Cold snap incoming here as well, -15°C lows have been forecasted in places. A nice bit of real winter.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:11 AM

13,487 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
No its not. We had snow down to 1,000 feet a few weeks ago.

It is not a shock to the system.. They have had freezing fog in England already. Don't talk about the weather when you don't live here.
Just because there was a bit of sleet on a hill in a remote part of N.I a few weeks ago, it doesn't mean the rest of the UK has had cold weather... So don't YOU talk about the weather in England when YOU don't live there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Maybe West London is much more continental It would be nice to have a weather station in each borough, would be very interesting to see the climate variations, not that it'd be that big, but still, interesting.

There were many days when I was there in winter where London had the coldest temperatures in the country, on the daily weather forecast on TV. Even colder than Scotland and Northern Ireland.
London did have a weather station in central London, 'London Weather Centre', which was located in Bloomsbury, but like many others it was closed down. There is stil St. James' Park, which although in central London, will still be a little cooler as it is a huge park. Saying that though in 2010 it only dropped to -4.5C there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Florida is so much better than Aussie.
Remind me how many times you have visited Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I've always wanted to visit Australia, idk why, but I just do. I've heard they don't like Americans (who cares?), idk how true that is though.
No one likes American's...

Old 11-28-2014, 02:55 PM

2,714 posts, read 3,046,009 times
It's still above zero here, but it does feel very icy with the wind though.
Had about 2°C / 36°F this afternoon, but this was a gusty eastern wind- so the feels like temperature was much lower maybe in -5 to -10°C range.

Over the next days the winds should easen a bit and bring the real cold, with night frosts down to about -5°C and daytime highs around freezing or little below that, so that the first ice days should soon be possible here.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:01 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,207,481 times
Good for you but I hope my cold comes from the NW, not Europe. I do terrible in Easterlies.

Its not uncommon to be double figures here and ice days in England.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:11 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

OC is rare in summer months, but temperatures below 5C aren't too unusual. That's only on the coast though. Go more than about 10km inland, or any higher than about 300 metres, and summer frost would probably be a yearly event.
Your summers sound even worse than ours. I'm at about 550 m but we can count on July to be frost-free in almost every year, and June and August frost-free in most years.
Our coldest weather of the winter is coming this weekend. Forecast highs are -20C, lows near -30C.

Edit: Updated forecast calls for a high of -24 and a low of -26 on Sunday, with bright sunshine. It's very common here in Nov, Dec and Jan to have low diurnal ranges and it drives me crazy. I like having a difference between day and night.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:49 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Your summers sound even worse than ours. I'm at about 550 m but we can count on July to be frost-free in almost every year, and June and August frost-free in most years.
Our coldest weather of the winter is coming this weekend. Forecast highs are -20C, lows near -30C.

Edit: Updated forecast calls for a high of -24 and a low of -26 on Sunday, with bright sunshine. It's very common here in Nov, Dec and Jan to have low diurnal ranges and it drives me crazy. I like having a difference between day and night.
That is cold. Serious cold and bright sunshine create a strange atmosphere - uplifting and stifling at the same time. 55O m would be a high risk of summer frost for here. Cold air from 60-70"S can cross the country in the middle of summer, bringing cold air in a few hours.

Summers here are quite cold at night, but it doesn't feel as bad as it sounds. It's a climate that cools quickly, but also warms quickly. This morning was 4C, but it was 22C by 11 am, and decent diurnal ranges are common throughout the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather