Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 09:14 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times

Advertisements

Beautiful yellow and pink flowers near my house...will try to upload pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Spring Photo Thread 2015-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 09:15 AM

Here are the pink ones
Attached Thumbnails

Old 03-23-2015, 09:16 AM

Close up

Pretty good for south florida
Attached Thumbnails

Old 03-23-2015, 10:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Saturday morning midtown Manhattan. 9 AM:

clouds cleared up half an hour later:

rolled back in an hour later:

clearing up:

evening light:

Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Park on Long Island, yesterday. Snow mostly gone:

Buds! Forsythia.

Little flowers coming up!

Old 03-23-2015, 04:22 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Saturday morning midtown Manhattan. 9 AM:
Awesome view! Is that from One Penn Plaza? You're lucky to live out in the countryside but not that far from such a city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nat gas requires digging and pipe running and most folks don't want to spend the money to convert and most areas don't have the availability of Nat Gas. Electric is the most expensive. Many use firewood and I seen many with Propane but oil is the easiest and most abundant. I hate it and only use a wood stove for primary heat. My furnace never turns on except when in the single digits F in the mornings.
Good to see wood stoves making a comeback. I've seen whole (small) apartment buildings heated with wood pellets. Didn't think about the availability of natural gas. To be expected in the very low density suburbs of Connecticut.

Quote:
Good luck on the home find/purchase. yeah that grass is crazy green. Maybe fake?
Haha I was jesting, I wouldn't contemplate buying such a house. This villa nearby (well one can't see anything from the street) was for sale for $750 million a few years ago:
Villa Leopolda, Villefranche-sur-mer, France - In Photos: The World's Most Expensive Billionaire Homes - Forbes

This one would be more to my means.

Sure the grass was real. Just well taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
I'd think from some of the photos that's a wetter place than it is. Neat foliage.
Eh! The place is wet, we had 22" of rain last November. And it's wetter than London.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Awesome view! Is that from One Penn Plaza? You're lucky to live out in the countryside but not that far from such a city.
Yes, One Penn Plaza. Good guess there, though maybe guess isn't the right word. I assume the hints were the NYTimes and Bank of America Tower in the view? I'm 150 miles away, was away for a weekend trip. 150 miles isn't that far? But yes, nice to be able to get out to someplace different.

Quote:
Good to see wood stoves making a comeback. I've seen whole (small) apartment buildings heated with wood pellets. Didn't think about the availability of natural gas. To be expected in the very low density suburbs of Connecticut.
My parents don't have a natural gas pipeline, I do in my home. I've heard too much use of wood stoves would create local air pollution issues.

Quote:
Haha I was jesting, I wouldn't contemplate buying such a house. This villa nearby (well one can't see anything from the street) was for sale for $750 million a few years ago:
Villa Leopolda, Villefranche-sur-mer, France - In Photos: The World's Most Expensive Billionaire Homes - Forbes
Interesting plants photos in that post.

Quote:
See, the few bare trees don't have much of an impact on the overall look of the place
Only because evergreens were planted? Or in most landscapes?

Quote:
Meanwhile 2° polewards:
Now you're just trolling us.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:46 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
My parents don't have a natural gas pipeline, I do in my home. I've heard too much use of wood stoves would create local air pollution issues.
They banned old stoves and fine people for using them because of that reason.. Now new stoves are EPA certified & burn clean. they even have a secondary combustion area inside the stove where the smoke gases will ignite and burn minimizing the smoke coming out of the flue at the top.. and if you have seasoned good wood, there's no pollution, no smoke. The only smoke is when you first light it or fill the box for a long burn the first few minutes will smoke until there's enough heat in there to burn the gases.

Sometimes I watch the smoke rise out of the flue (and man it smells good) and it dissipates before even getting higher than my 60 foot Maple. I burn clean good dry firewood.

Cherry is my absolute favorite and its hard to find Cherry trees around here lately! Hickory smells nice. Oak burns hot. Maple way too fast

Old 03-23-2015, 05:04 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
Yes, One Penn Plaza. Good guess there, though maybe guess isn't the right word. I assume the hints were the NYTimes and Bank of America Tower in the view? I'm 150 miles away, was away for a weekend trip. 150 miles isn't that far? But yes, nice to be able to get out to someplace different.
Yup, the NYT building and BoA tower. C'mon, you're American, 150 miles is as close as it gets. What big city is within 150 miles from here? Marseille? Meh, I'd rather stay home.

Quote:
It does, modern ones should have particle filters, the wood boilers in the apartment buildings I mentioned had them. In Germany they're mandatory. I remember the pollution from coal heating in Poland. As soon as you cross the border from Germany there's a distinct smell in the air on calm days.

Quote:
Only because evergreens were planted? Or in most landscapes?
Pines and evergreen oaks are native, so the region is mostly green in winter. There you have spots with nothing but small deciduous oaks.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ni...0819a5fd979a70

Quote:
Now you're just trolling us.
Serves you right. Now you know how it feels to see pages upon pages of snowy landscapes & streetscapes when all you get is limbo temps for months on end.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:08 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
The place is wet, we had 22" of rain last November.
That's 75% of average for the whole year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather