Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 03:00 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
I just realized that if this ULL had come down in winter with the same moisture levels, it would have resulted in a 10-12" snowstorm (assuming 10:1 ratios). The average high today is 77, compared to 50 in mid-January. And the precipitation all happened with temps below 55, so that would equate to temps below 28 in January.
Maybe even colder than that, because standard deviation is higher in January than May I would imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 03:03 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Maybe even colder than that, because standard deviation is higher in January than May I would imagine.
I think it would be in the teens for highs in Upstate Ny with this pattern in January, probably high twenties in NYC

Old 05-06-2016, 03:15 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Wunderground now shows 5 days in a row with thunderstorm chances, beginning Sunday.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:22 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
I can't stress enough how weird it feels to have an 80* sun angle and the temps/humidities we are seeing now.

Currently: 80F DP 47F

Old 05-06-2016, 03:22 PM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
I just realized that if this ULL had come down in winter with the same moisture levels, it would have resulted in a 10-12" snowstorm (assuming 10:1 ratios). The average high today is 77, compared to 50 in mid-January. And the precipitation all happened with temps below 55, so that would equate to temps below 28 in January.
Right on. Kinda hard to say exactly what it would result in. Depends how much cold air is with it even in winter but yeah, all this most likely would of been snow.. I can find a lot of past posts of ULLs but here's one Jan 31, 2015. I cant find one over the Mid Atlantic, need more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
What's you reasoning behind us seeing more of these ULL in the future.
One thinking is a Warmer Atlantic = more High Pressure around or ridging towards Greenland = More Blocking = More chances of a spinning storm at all levels including these ULLs = them diving south more because of the blocking.

They've always happened in the past, but I wonder if we saw more of them when the Atlantic was warmer vs cooler. Just a hunch. Another reason is a warmer Stratosphere which disrupts the Polar Vortex and or Polar Jet Stream south more provides these cold pockets of air which ball up and spin up. An Upper Low is basically a piece of the Polar Vortex which broke off.

Remember the rare Mexico Upper Low. Insane how far south that was breaking record cold and snow down there.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I can find a lot of past posts of ULLs but here's one Jan 31, 2015. I cant find one over the Mid Atlantic, need more time.
Looked through my files....Found one. February 13, 2014. Dropped down to South Carolina. 400,000 were without power from snow and ice in southeast states. Can't find a temp map I think I was more focused on the snow and cold up here but did post a few stuff from down south and Mid Atlantic.

//www.city-data.com/forum/33444611-post208.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/33446362-post211.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/33450997-post232.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/33451681-post235.html

Old 05-06-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If the cloud cover stays like this, it should be warmer in Vermont than New Jersey later today..
Nice call! 70s in Vermont warmer than even down in Virginia with 50s. Richmond max temp is 58 so far

I didn't pass mid 50s again. Fire is going for heat. Just crazy. My storm door is still up instead of the screen. lol

0.68" today so far. Just annoying mist now

Old 05-06-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
What's you reasoning behind us seeing more of these ULL in the future.
Steve D explains it better and in detail while explaining why the wild fires in Canada happened. Much More with link!

https://nynjpaweather.com/2016/05/06...limate-change/

Quote:
2. With the upper level low intensifying in the northern Pacific, a ridge becomes sustained over western North America. The ridge is a direct result of the trough in the northern Pacific. While air rises in association with a trough, air sinks under a strong ridge. The sinking air warms and with strong 500 MB heights (that’s how we measure upper level ridges) that sinking air gets very hot. Thus you end up with a dry, hot weather pattern over western Canada, the northern Rockies, and the Northern Plains in the United States.

3. Now, remember the SSTA in the Atlantic? Again, we are dealing with thermal dynamics. We have very warm water in the western Atlantic and very cold water in the northeastern Atlantic. This clash of air masses is leading to a trough over the northwestern Atlantic which acts like a block. Think of this block like a traffic jam. So, the result of this, combined with a ridge in the West is a sustained trough and/or upper level low over the Eastern United States. This is why the Philadelphia and New York City metropolitan areas have seen plenty of rainfall of late.

4. So, think back to your high school physics class and remember Conservation of Mass. You must have a thermal and mass balance in the atmosphere. This is why we have storms. The upper level lows in the Pacific and over the Eastern United States balance the ridge over western North America. The ridge intensifies and as a result, so two the two troughs/upper level lows, which leads to a feed back loop until the block is broken.

So you take this pattern with what was already a warm winter due to the combination of El Nino and the positive PDO, and you end up with a low level environment in Alberta, Canada that is supportive for forecast fires. I should note, that this very same pattern was shifted east last month and lead to some fire concerns in New Jersey a few weeks back.

This process is not unusual. In fact, there are several cases of these dangerous fires throughout western North America. If you want to research past fire events in Canada, go here.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:18 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
ULL rarely get temps below 30 in winter. I definetely think if one of these ULL lows with this strength hit in winter we would have a good snowstorm, temps would probably be in the upper 20s at coldest. Most ULL that hit in the winter pissbthe the southern forumers at americanwx because temps are so marginal, normally sitting around 35, close to snow temps but not there yet. I imagine though one of this strength would have lead to at least patchy frost down in Miami. Similiar to 2010.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:20 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Steve D explains it better and in detail while explaining why the wild fires in Canada happened. Much More with link!

https://nynjpaweather.com/2016/05/06...limate-change/
Nice explanation! Would be an epic winter pattern for us down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather