Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 06:13 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I agree with growing them where they barely survive & look crappy, but some of those growing in California look great, sure they will never produce actual coconuts, but if they survive & look good what is the harm?

When I was on the Gulf Coast of Alabama, I stopped for lunch at a golf resort that had big Phoenix dactylifera palms. Talking to people that lived there they said the dates produced were rather tasteless.

I later found out hat is because of the humidity. Those trees like it dry, not super humid. The opposite is true of coconut palms. But the date palms in Alabama looked great other than having rotten fruit. The coconut palms in the desert will probably never fruit, and I guess if they look good then okay. They still need a lot of watering I would assume whereas down South with date palms they don't have to do that.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:19 PM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I have never even seen a pic, but they must be heavily watered or misted when it is 115F with desert dewpoints. Where are the pics of them?
There are a couple of photos on this thread & on some of the Palmtalk links. The one in La Quinta looked pristine, before the new homeowners chopped it down

Old 06-09-2017, 10:37 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Palm trees in Myrtle Beach, SC from my friend on our FB gardening group. The thing with the Southeast is there are loads of micro climates due to all the islands and water and swamps. Airports down there tend to be inland and the coldest locations in the area. The coastal areas and islands tend to be quite a bit warmer than the airport data appears to show.

Wow! I had no idea Myrtle Beach had so many good looking CIDP's. The last few above average winters probably helped. Speaking of CIDP's, look at what I spotted a few days ago that made me nearly swerve into traffic...

As far as I know (according to Google Earth) it's been there since at least September of 2015. I may have to knock on this guys door one day to see how long it's been there and if it somehow survived the polar vortex winter. CIDP's are tough and comparatively to Washingtonia Filibustas, they are just as hardy yet dont show foliar damage as early as W. Filibustas.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:51 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Wow! I had no idea Myrtle Beach had so many good looking CIDP's. The last few above average winters probably helped. Speaking of CIDP's, look at what I spotted a few days ago that made me nearly swerve into traffic...

As far as I know (according to Google Earth) it's been there since at least September of 2015. I may have to knock on this guys door one day to see how long it's been there and if it somehow survived the polar vortex winter. CIDP's are tough and comparatively to Washingtonia Filibustas, they are just as hardy yet dont show foliar damage as early as W. Filibustas.
Yeah my FB friend from there is a landscaper and palm trimmer. He sees a lot of palms during work.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:24 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Quote:

Is that a prickly pear cactus there on the left-hand side?

Old 06-10-2017, 04:17 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,816 times
do Roystonea exist on the Azores ?

Old 06-10-2017, 07:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
do Roystonea exist on the Azores ?
Never seen them, probably the lack of warmth. Besides, the Howeas and the Archontophoenix (as well as Nikaus) do very good there.

At the same latitude (approximately) in the south of Lisboa you can find some nice looking Roystoneas though, although Lisboa has warmer springs and summers.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:26 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Is that a prickly pear cactus there on the left-hand side?
I'm not a cactus expert but I would assume so. Cactus aren't uncommon around here and supposedly I heard there is s certain species (maybe it's the one you mentioned) native to the Sandhills area of South Carolina. I think they're pretty common though and not terribly exotic, but still pretty neat.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:54 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
I'm not a cactus expert but I would assume so. Cactus aren't uncommon around here and supposedly I heard there is s certain species (maybe it's the one you mentioned) native to the Sandhills area of South Carolina. I think they're pretty common though and not terribly exotic, but still pretty neat.
We have cactus native in my area... I know it all too well when a ton of little pricks got stuck in my hand when I discovered one in the woods.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:12 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Never seen them, probably the lack of warmth. Besides, the Howeas and the Archontophoenix (as well as Nikaus) do very good there.

At the same latitude (approximately) in the south of Lisboa you can find some nice looking Roystoneas though, although Lisboa has warmer springs and summers.

was there one in la Coruna or was i dreaming ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.