Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 10:37 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
You know they are not CIDP's right? They are Phoenix sylvestris & only reliably hardy in 9b, even temperatures in the mid 20's F can damage them. Only places they have a chance is southern Louisiana & even here they may be damaged or killed in cold snaps...

And that nursery is located in Forest Hill Louisiana, which is zone 8b according to the USDA site...
Notice no one has replied to those low temps I posted. Once the cold AMO returns in full those palms will be toast, along with many others there and across the Southeast.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:39 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Looking good and well watered with the deep green fronds! I don't have an answer for the trunk... Every palm is a little different. On the way home today I actually saw a windmill with a very stout, thick trunk about 6 feet tall. Usually, windmills get skinny at the base and thicker the farther up you go.

Also, yours is at the size where windmills creep along. They're so slow at the young juvenile stage, but be patient. Once it starts getting a good bit of trunk on it, it will start to take off.
Windmills don't even survive long term in coastal DE. Doubt they will survive on Long Island without protection.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:41 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
I'm not sure about Sylvestris, but these two Dactyliferas survived the low teens of 2014 and 2015 just a few miles (if that) from my house:

the other one

Phoenix palms in general can take a beating. I checked Google Earth/Street View and apparently they've been there since 2011. If dactyliferas and a CIDP can survive the winters of 2014/2015 here, then I'm sure some Sylvestris can handle whatever a Louisianan winter can throw at them. Maybe even moreso in Northern Louisiana, since they would be more accustom to the temperature fluctuations during the year, so that they can harden off. New Orleans, if it were to hit a severe cold snap like the 80s, would kill off most if not all phoenix palms because they aren't accustom to temperature swings like that and don't have time to harden off at all.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index....n-columbia-sc/

Old 07-04-2016, 10:43 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Windmills don't even survive long term in coastal DE. Doubt they will survive on Long Island without protection.
Probably not, but that's not exactly what we were addressing in our posts. Debbie downer! Lol But if anything, a windmill would be his best bet, correct?

Old 07-04-2016, 10:45 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Phoenix dactylifera can take very cold temperatures, Phoenix canariensis can take a fair bit of cold too (when mature). Phoenix sylvestris are not as cold hardy, they are being planted more in that region because they are fast growing & thus cheaper, in most of Louisiana they will not be long term unfortunately...

Old 07-04-2016, 10:50 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Phoenix dactylifera can take very cold temperatures, Phoenix canariensis can take a fair bit of cold too (when mature). Phoenix sylvestris are not as cold hardy, they are being planted more in that region because they are fast growing & thus cheaper, in most of Louisiana they will not be long term unfortunately...
Phoenix Dactylifera is hardy down to 12, so zone 8A. Only problem is it likes dry conditions, otherwise I bet it would be a more common palm on the east coast.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:29 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
I thought canariensis were more hardy than dactylifera? You don't see many dactylifera here, but CIDPs are all over the place.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I thought canariensis were more hardy than dactylifera? You don't see many dactylifera here, but CIDPs are all over the place.
Nope. P. dactylifera can take very low temperatures because of their desert origins, but they need quite dry climates & hot summers. P. canariensis, coming from the Canary Islands, can take quite cool & wet weather so do well in cool temperate climates, but they are generally only hardy down to around -8C in the UK, though mature specimens have taken lower in warmer climates...

Phoenix dactylifera are not suited to the UK climate at all, many have tried & failed. There is a fairly new development on Torquay seafront & 2 years ago they planted several mature P. dactylifera infront of it. After 2 mild winters they now look half dead & that's in one of the milder parts of the country after mild winters...

Old 07-04-2016, 04:16 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Nope. P. dactylifera can take very low temperatures because of their desert origins, but they need quite dry climates & hot summers. P. canariensis, coming from the Canary Islands, can take quite cool & wet weather so do well in cool temperate climates, but they are generally only hardy down to around -8C in the UK, though mature specimens have taken lower in warmer climates...

Phoenix dactylifera are not suited to the UK climate at all, many have tried & failed. There is a fairly new development on Torquay seafront & 2 years ago they planted several mature P. dactylifera infront of it. After 2 mild winters they now look half dead & that's in one of the milder parts of the country after mild winters...
I heard that cidp palms have been successfully grown as far north as 58 degrees. They are very hardy palms.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I heard that cidp palms have been successfully grown as far north as 58 degrees. They are very hardy palms.
Where? They are not what I would call "very hardy palms" at all... Even in the UK, very mild for the latitude, they are only reliably hardy along the south coast & in London...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather