Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 01:00 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of palms here, I'll try to upload them even tho the files on my phone are too large :/

Old 07-23-2016, 08:46 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
There are a lot of palms here, I'll try to upload them even tho the files on my phone are too large :/
Where you at

Old 07-24-2016, 01:55 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Where you at

He is visiting a true unflawed subtropical climate in the southern hemisphere where palm enthusiasts don't fret over every single winter and the low temps. He is visiting a place where palms don't get killed off every few years due to cold.

You happen to live in a unique "subtropical" climate. Why is it unique? Because it is susceptible to insanely cold low winter temps due to pathetic geography where you never know which winter will do you in your palms lol.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:33 AM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There do seem to be different forms as well. A local palm enthusiast told that a nearby queen palm I had thought of as a mule, was actually just variance within the species, and that he had seen that same variance in South America.
Many palms are quite variable, Trachycarpus fortunei for example can look quite diferent from each other but are the exact same species, leading many to think they have a special or different species...

Syagrus romanzoffiana grows across a very large area so there are some variances, there are some called "Parana Queens" which have very thick trunks, but again I don't think there is any real difference in hardiness... They can of course hybridise not just with Butia & Jubaea & other coccoids, but also with other Syagrus species. My favourite is S. romanzoffiana x S. schizophylla, the "Coconut Queen" or "Super Parrot Palm"...

Old 07-24-2016, 02:28 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Taken from my other post in the summer photo thread. A few palm sightings from a walk yesterday.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:42 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Tree Aloes could be considered palm like. There are a few around here, but not common.

Here is one I took a photo of today.
Attached Thumbnails
Palm Trees General Discussion-img_4329.jpg  

Old 07-26-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
He is visiting a true unflawed subtropical climate in the southern hemisphere where palm enthusiasts don't fret over every single winter and the low temps. He is visiting a place where palms don't get killed off every few years due to cold.

You happen to live in a unique "subtropical" climate. Why is it unique? Because it is susceptible to insanely cold low winter temps due to pathetic geography where you never know which winter will do you in your palms lol.
Yeah in Valparaiso we haven't dropped below 7c this month, or this entire winter actually. It's not even a warm winter, we just don't get cold here and that's why there are beautiful palm trees on every corner

Old 07-27-2016, 05:58 AM

13,486 posts, read 9,030,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Tree Aloes could be considered palm like. There are a few around here, but not common.

Here is one I took a photo of today.
Nice. In the UK Cordyline australis is still widely called a "palm" & some even call Yuccas them too. I prefer Cordylines after they have branched & are some years old, they can look very exotic with a big thick trunk & multiple heads. I also like mature Yucca elephantipes, which are hardy in milder parts of the UK. They are quite commonly seen in gardens around Portsmouth, which is strange as they have never been sold as outdoor plants, so must be houseplants that outgrew homes & got plonked in the garden...

Old 07-27-2016, 07:59 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

::Looks outside::

Whew, palms are still there. Tom, you had me thinking most/all my palms died this past winter! My palms go dormant in the winter, they don't die.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:30 PM

Just beautiful
Attached Thumbnails
Palm Trees General Discussion-palm1.jpg   Palm Trees General Discussion-palm6.jpg   Palm Trees General Discussion-palm5.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather