Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:37 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times

Advertisements

I absolutely love rain and actually love the uk climate, but was really surprised to see the averages of of the rainiest cities in the british isles are significantly lower than many of the southern united states cities and their rainfall averages. I am curious of what type of rain does the UK get , a mist, sort of like seattle and portland etc who are much less in yearly averages than a lot of southern cities. Strange how some areas like seattle get know as rainy climates and alot of the south doesnt but much higher yearly averages of rain in the south.

I am curious of what type of rain does northern england, glasgow, cardiff gets, sort of a mist and not alot of downpours?

Last edited by floridanative10; 05-17-2016 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 10:44 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Boring, thunderless, cold overcast drizzle where you don't see the sun for days on end and just get a light accumulation.
VERY different from your handsome, warm, short-lived but intense thunderstorms that are preceeded and proceeded by full on sunshine. Northern U.K has some of the dullest climates in the world and yes, I suspect this will turn into another bashing British climates thread.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:56 PM

Overcast drizzle is what i thought, dont get me wrong though, I even love the southern humidity in the summer because you know you are going to get an evening thunderstorm but july and august rains can make it even more steamier after a rain in the daytime in the southern summer, usually in july and august. I just love the dark clouds forming in the afternoons for a thunderstorm and the break in the sun. I dont know if there is such a thing for seasonal affective disorder with lack of rain and too much sun but sometimes I get depressed with the sun shining every morning through the window.

I think I could adapt to a rainy uk climate with some overcast skies but maybe not the temps, rain in the cold is not alot of fun but I wouldnt mind the grey skies, I think.

I think living in las vegas would drive me crazy after a while, even an amazing place like san diego where I lived, which is a ton of peoples absolutely ideal climate, got me depressed with sun day after day after day and months without rainfall

Old 05-17-2016, 10:57 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
There are some advantages to UK climates... Lerwick is in a higher hardiness zone than Nashville

Old 05-17-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
There are some advantages to UK climates... Lerwick is in a higher hardiness zone than Nashville

and Jacksonville has a colder all time record low than much of the U.K, yet it's average winter highs are higher than the average summer highs for most of the Northern U.K.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:18 PM

The UK has some amazing gardens too, not usually for vegetables and fruits but design. London and that metro area is one of the few cities in europe where i have actually visited to just go on a garden tour. Gardening in the south is amazing for what you can grow but the uk is amazing for gardens as well, so many gorgeously designed gardens in the uk, many of the brits really do a fantastic job with the design of their gardens.

Its crazy that london,cardiff is a 9b hardiness zone, dublin a 9a, glasgow a 8b. there are ton of of vegetables and certainly fruits you can't grow there that you could in many 8 and 9 zones around the world but very impressive hardiness zones and lack of sub freezing temps

Old 05-17-2016, 11:21 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
I'd say cloudiness is a bigger problem for England then rain. Look at how cloudy Liverpool is! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool#Climate And Limerick is even worse https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick#Climate

Old 05-17-2016, 11:39 PM

Yes, good post, thats the reason, number of days of overcast and rain for the average rainfall is much higher than yearly averages for accumulation . I looked it up and portland and seattle , like the rainiest cities in the uk , have 2-2.5 times the amount of rainy days than say mobile ,tallahassee ,miami or new orleans and alot of southern metros, They just dont get the massive downpours where it' is just pouring down like in the south

Last edited by floridanative10; 05-17-2016 at 11:47 PM..

Old 05-17-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Yes, good post, thats the reason, number of days of overcast and rain for the average rainfall is much higher than yearly averages for accumulation . I looked it up and portland and seattle , like the rainiest cities in the uk , have 2-2.5 times the amount of rainy days than say mobile ,tallahassee ,miami or new orleans and alot of southern metros, They just dont get the massive downpours where it' is just pouring down like in the south

Yep and to make it worse, usually temperatures range from 35-50 when the rain is falling. In Glasgow, 60F and sunny is considered "warm, summerish" weather. Be grateful to live in a climate where you don't have to sacrifice warmth and sunshine hours to get rain and you get them paired often.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:42 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
I live in Northern England, and we get the same rain as Southern England. Generally light, and rarely does it rain all day. It's never warm when it rains, and usually a day with rain will generally end up being a crap day. Certainly don't expect sunshine, downpour, then sunshine again.

What would be expected of such a northerly Island such as this though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather