Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 07:07 AM

13,488 posts, read 9,034,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
In YOUR opinion. Just because you find cool summers warm enough to swim, doesn't mean people from warm summer climates will find it warm enough. Cornwall especially has pretty poor summers. certainly cooler than even up here.

I'm English, yet I can't understand why other British posters are seemingly unable to grasp the idea that other people might think it's cool or cloudy...
BUT people from outside the UK are simply looking at the average temperatures & then saying that is far too cold, that is not summer etc.. etc... when the UK can get hot temperatures of 30C+, so of course there is plenty of opportunity to go to the beach, swim in a pool etc... Yes summers may well be better in the south of the UK, but just because it isn't as hot as Spain, South Carolina or Perth, the UK does get a summer & even those from hotter climes will still find plenty of days to do the "summery" things they like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 07:18 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Because 'other people' including you are suggesting that the UK never gets any hot and sunny days which is nonsense! Nobody is suggesting that the UK is some kind of tropical paradise yet you (and others) seem happy to suggest that its a drizzly cloudy climate, ITS NOT EITHER, 21 degrees may not be warm enough for everybodies liking but the UK IS NOT 21 degrees in the Summer, 21 degrees is a UK 'average' its warmer in the south cooler in the north, the 'average' summer temperature in London and the South East is around 23 degrees C and then that is an AVERAGE, lets say there has been a couple of days rain in Sussex and the temperature has been 18 degrees to get the average back to 23 or even 21 you would need days where the temperature is in the high twenties, that is how it works, I know York is cold its in the part of England that has the coldest summers, the North East but to suggest its never warm enough to swim in the UK in the summer is nonsense, its weather, weather changes in every country on earth, last summer I went to Turkey for my holiday and it rained for 4 days, sometimes it happens anywhere, the fact the UK is variable does not = cold it does not = rainy and it does not = constantly cloudy. There will be plenty of opportunities for me to sit on the beach at Brighton this year, there will be plenty of time for me to have a BBQ in our garden, and yes if I don't put on sun cream while sitting on the beach in Brighton there will be times I burn (I might not then fit the description earlier on here of having great skin because I am British and therefore NEVER see the sun).
Ffs, I never said we never get hot days! Nor have I ever said it's drizzly! Seriously, where do you get this rubbish from?
I know how averages work, and if the average at the coast is 21c, then the majority of days are going to be too cool for many people to swim, especially those from warmer climates. If course I know there's some very warm days, Jesus Christ.

So you're saying it's cold here in York, where the average temperature in July and August is 21c, which is warmer than most of the South West, and comparable to the South Coast btw. In fact, summer here is about the same as Brighton, maybe even slightly warmer here. The fact you actually say it's cold here, when our summer is only about 2c cooler than the very warmest place in the country, pretty much makes your entire argument complete rubbish.

I can barely even take you seriously.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:22 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
BUT people from outside the UK are simply looking at the average temperatures & then saying that is far too cold, that is not summer etc.. etc... when the UK can get hot temperatures of 30C+, so of course there is plenty of opportunity to go to the beach, swim in a pool etc... Yes summers may well be better in the south of the UK, but just because it isn't as hot as Spain, South Carolina or Perth, the UK does get a summer & even those from hotter climes will still find plenty of days to do the "summery" things they like
I know there can be hot days, of course. But what others are failing to grasp is that not everybody finds summer in England acceptable. I don't know why that's not sinking in. Yes I know the south coast is sunnier, but that's such a small area, and the warmest part of the country has an average high of only 23c, which to many people, is actually still not very warm.
I had plenty of days on the beach in Portsmouth at Stokes Bay, and plenty of those days were very nice, although the sea was pretty cold. But averages are there for a reason, and they do give a rough idea of what temperature and sunshine, rain etc to expect.

Last edited by Dean York; 05-21-2016 at 07:42 AM..

Old 05-21-2016, 08:26 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I spend an awful lot of my summers sitting on a beach, even more so when I was younger and I used to surf a lot in Cornwall, and that sums it up right here, no matter what anybody says British weather will ALWAYS be just cloud and rain to 'Johnny foreigner', summers in the UK ARE NOT what people think, unreliable perhaps but that just means that it can SOMETIMES let you down, however if you LIVE in the UK you will have plenty of opportunity to sit on a beach, swim in the sea or if you are lucky enough to have a pool (plenty of people round here do) swim in your outdoor pool in the garden. Obviously your pool is only going to be used over 4 months of the year, but it will be used.
I'm sorry but temps in the low 70s would make uncomfortably cool pool water, unless its heated, the ocean is far too cold to swim in comfortably also, and if you go in there is no hot temps to warm you up quick. So overall it would be pretty uncomfortable.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Why would it be hard to swim in an outdoor pool or go to the beach?? Thousands of people manage to do both of those every summer in the UK, shocking I know...

And the SE in particular DOES get convective thunderstorms, most spells of warm/hot weather end with thunderstorms, with you know lightning strikes an'all
Too cool pool water to swim in and ocean water is cold with no hot temps to greet you at least when you get out of the cold water, though i would be able to swim in it most people wont, plus it wont be comfortable. Plus London average s like only 15 thunderstorms a year. So odds of an epic tropical style convective thunderstorm with warmmmm rain is not too high.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Too cool pool water to swim in and ocean water is cold with no hot temps to greet you at least when you get out of the cold water, though i would be able to swim in it most people wont, plus it wont be comfortable. Plus London average s like only 15 thunderstorms a year. So odds of an epic tropical style convective thunderstorm with warmmmm rain is not too high.
Most people heat swimming pools you know The sea water may be "cool" but you can still swim in it without dropping dead you know... And "no hot temps" ? So the UK gets no heatwaves at all? If you went to the beach when it was a 30C+ day it would be perfectly hot enough And Jesus wept, only 15 thunderstorms, so what?!? Make up your mind, it either isn't warm & sunny enough or it isn't wet & thundery enough for you lol...

Old 05-21-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I know there can be hot days, of course. But what others are failing to grasp is that not everybody finds summer in England acceptable. I don't know why that's not sinking in. Yes I know the south coast is sunnier, but that's such a small area, and the warmest part of the country has an average high of only 23c, which to many people, is actually still not very warm.
I had plenty of days on the beach in Portsmouth at Stokes Bay, and plenty of those days were very nice, although the sea was pretty cold. But averages are there for a reason, and they do give a rough idea of what temperature and sunshine, rain etc to expect.
No one is failing to grasp that some people think the UK summers are crap, I get that, but the ridiculous things some people say like you would never be able to go to the beach or ever swim in an outdoor swimming pool are completely ridiculous lol...

Averages are just that, it doesn't mean that every day will be that temperature as well you know. You can have a cool overcast day at 18C then a hot & sunny one at 30C, so no averages certainly don't tell the whole story... Judging by some peoples comments you would think it never got above 23C anywhere during the summer...

Old 05-21-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Most people heat swimming pools you know The sea water may be "cool" but you can still swim in it without dropping dead you know... And "no hot temps" ? So the UK gets no heatwaves at all? If you went to the beach when it was a 30C+ day it would be perfectly hot enough And Jesus wept, only 15 thunderstorms, so what?!? Make up your mind, it either isn't warm & sunny enough or it isn't wet & thundery enough for you lol...
Most of the thunderstorms are the cold rain type ones too. Plus how often would it be 30c. It would be very hit and miss to get a good beach day for swimming. Veryyy. This is just when counting how often it gets that warm plus you have to take into considerations factors affecting my life and if I can or can't go to to the beach. No one said the UK doesn't get 30c days but they are sporadic and not that much. Geez. London is not summery enough for me. I'm sure people in london have to what swimming pools lol. End of discussion lol.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
No one is failing to grasp that some people think the UK summers are crap, I get that, but the ridiculous things some people say like you would never be able to go to the beach or ever swim in an outdoor swimming pool are completely ridiculous lol...

Averages are just that, it doesn't mean that every day will be that temperature as well you know. You can have a cool overcast day at 18C then a hot & sunny one at 30C, so no averages certainly don't tell the whole story... Judging by some peoples comments you would think it never got above 23C anywhere during the summer...
Look we are all aware London's gets hot days in summer. No one said it doesn't. Geez

Old 05-21-2016, 10:17 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
Ah yes, dunno what to put here, cannot accept that somebody that lives here, hates the climate. Is it cloudy? Yes, that's a fact. Are summers cool? By most people's standards, yes.

Of course it's perfectly livable. But it doesn't mean I have to like it. Just because somebody is telling me it's warm enough to go outside and that they find it warm, doesn't mean it's good enough for me.
This is what you posted:

That's because you losers that have never left the country, seeem to believe that the weather here is better than it really is. Either that, or some strange loyalty or obsession to somehow try to dispel stereotypes. I admit that I'm exaggerating a little, but I'm not accepting that people are making it sound like we have nice summers. It's a ****ing joke.
You even think Leeds summer is ok ffs. It's a ****hole of a climate.

You don't seem to accept that I actually like summers here, thinking 'it's a joke'. You seem to have a hard time accepting that other Brits don't think the summers are 'dreadful' here - in fact, you're the only British person on this forum that seems to hold that opinion.

I have always maintained the opinion, that summers here, are just cloudy - I'd certainly like more sun, but only 50-55% in the sunniest month. Even so, the sun shines on the vast majority of summer days, certainly enough to get a tan. Pictures from my childhood show how much darker my skin is in summer compared to winter and we were far too poor to afford to go abroad (never bothered me though because I enjoyed myself). Even when we went to Spain for the first time, it didn't alter my opinion of the climate here - and considering I got sunstroke and spend the best part of a day vomiting in bed, I actually didn't mind returning (although at the time, I wasn't used to the strength of the sun at that latitude, I've never got sunstroke in the UK or anywhere else since).

Anyway, you should listen to flamingGalah - he lives in a climate you apparently love. Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 05-21-2016 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather