Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 04:01 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
why 60.s and 70's? Why not 60's, 70's and 80's? This is exactly the point that people seem incapable of grasping! In fact why not 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's? The temperature can be in any of those ranges?
I am basing it on averages. It's a given the temperature deviates on occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 04:04 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
I wouldn't call heat in the UK humid though. Humidity almost always below 50% when it's 30C+.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:10 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,685,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I wouldn't call heat in the UK humid though. Humidity almost always below 50% when it's 30C+.
Of course it is! If the average high in a place in the warmest month is 23 °C, even if the humidity is usually high, the humidity when it's 30 °C it's almost always much lower than the one that typically appears when it's 23 °C. Those heatwaves usually come from dry landmasses, because the maritime currents will bring cooler temperatures.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:54 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,412,207 times
Quote:
At least you are finally able to grasp 'averages', it gets into the 90's here and its usually a humid heat (it is an island surrounded by water after all), all we are saying is the UK summers are NOT 'cloud and drizzle', can the weather be a bit unpredictable yes, can it let you down on the day you've planned your picnic, hell yes but is it too cold for a beach or to swim in your outdoor pool, hell no! (Britain has some stunningly beautiful beaches too, there is after all 8000 miles or so of coastline to chose from) Summer days can be hot and summer days can be sunny, nobody claims its the Med but why does London get all this ridiculous 'cloudy drizzle' **** when for example Paris or Berlin don't??? You should try doing a few UK summers, you are going to love them.
Yes I already stated , UK summers are very nice and pleasant, rarely hot but never cold. I'm sure I will enjoy it but its not my ideal summer conditions. UK does not get humid heat, high humidity in the UK in summer is associated with damp cool weather. The reason I said outdoor pools aren't that nice in a UK summer because its to cool for the water to warm up much on its own. The UK has many gorgeous beaches that I can take a stroll on but 0 that have warm enough temps to enjoyably swim in for a long period of time with just swimming trunks. I know the UK gets hot days but that is on sporadic far in between days on average. And isn't on average the hottest temp 31 c in london? Certainly warm and for sure it gets more days at 28 and 26 c which are also warm but those are my ideal summer temps 30-33 c with dews around 21-28c, that's my ideal summer conditions.

The UK has gorgoussss summers, lushhhhhh green countryside, beautiful sunshine and clouds , and some rainy days in summer all with temps ranging from mid 60s to upper 70s in July in the south to 60s and low 70s further north. Not my ideal but I am certain I can enjoy the weather there I never said I couldn't. Temps are beautiful, its heavenly, I mean what more can I tell you about what I think of UK summers. In fact I'll try to spend a whole summer in the UK, I was planning on going some where 2018 anyways, why not the UK . Besides I love the cultural diversity of london and the beautiful Scottish highlands up north, maybe I'll go spot Nessie or something lol. Then again I always preferred Ireland to England.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:04 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
UK summers are the best in the whole wide world. Everyone agrees with me. So shut up everyone.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:09 PM

13,488 posts, read 9,036,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Yes , you made a statement saying I have never been to the UK based on a presumptive notion. I'm sure you are more knowledgeable on the climate in London, but averages don't lie
Quote:
I base it on averages. My ideal summer conditions are not London's. Average says about 74 average July temp and dry it no way in hell will ever get a humid 90 degree day like here. Key word HUMID. Averages don't lie.
Averages are just all the temperatures of the month added up then divided by the number of days in the month, worked out over a 30 year period. It does not mean the temperature is that "average" temperature every day, which is what you fail to understand. It can be 18C one day & 30C another. So in that sense yes averages DO lie, or at least they don't tell the whole story especially in the UK...

Old 05-21-2016, 05:36 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,136,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Averages are just all the temperatures of the month added up then divided by the number of days in the month, worked out over a 30 year period. It does not mean the temperature is that "average" temperature every day, which is what you fail to understand. It can be 18C one day & 30C another. So in that sense yes averages DO lie, or at least they don't tell the whole story especially in the UK...
You are unbelievable. In another thread, you were claiming the exact opposite...

Old 05-21-2016, 05:58 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
This does hit the nail on the head, it also seems to be something that a lot of people on here seem to fail to understand.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:05 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,685,799 times
Quote:
This does hit the nail on the head, it also seems to be something that a lot of people on here seem to fail to understand.
If that was true, Winnipeg would never get to -30 °C like it actually does.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:12 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Yes I already stated , UK summers are very nice and pleasant, rarely hot but never cold. I'm sure I will enjoy it but its not my ideal summer conditions. UK does not get humid heat, high humidity in the UK in summer is associated with damp cool weather. The reason I said outdoor pools aren't that nice in a UK summer because its to cool for the water to warm up much on its own. The UK has many gorgeous beaches that I can take a stroll on but 0 that have warm enough temps to enjoyably swim in for a long period of time with just swimming trunks. I know the UK gets hot days but that is on sporadic far in between days on average. And isn't on average the hottest temp 31 c in london? Certainly warm and for sure it gets more days at 28 and 26 c which are also warm but those are my ideal summer temps 30-33 c with dews around 21-28c, that's my ideal summer conditions.

The UK has gorgoussss summers, lushhhhhh green countryside, beautiful sunshine and clouds , and some rainy days in summer all with temps ranging from mid 60s to upper 70s in July in the south to 60s and low 70s further north. Not my ideal but I am certain I can enjoy the weather there I never said I couldn't. Temps are beautiful, its heavenly, I mean what more can I tell you about what I think of UK summers. In fact I'll try to spend a whole summer in the UK, I was planning on going some where 2018 anyways, why not the UK . Besides I love the cultural diversity of london and the beautiful Scottish highlands up north, maybe I'll go spot Nessie or something lol. Then again I always preferred Ireland to England.
You are right of course about 'averages' but some people keep claiming that it NEVER gets hot and that it is ALWAYS cloudy it isn't it does get hot and it does get humid, it also gets thunderstorms, it gets hot, it gets cool, it gets sunny, it gets rainy, it doesn't get snow (not in the summer anyway!) Its weather, it varies, you claimed that it was too cold to swim in a pool, well it isn't, there are thousands of people in the UK with a pool in their garden (usually the wealthy), the pool simply wouldn't be there if what you say is true, here is a picture of Bournemouth beach:-

http://www.letsgoout-bournemouthandp...4/01/Beach.jpg

You can google numerous beaches in the UK and you will see plenty of people sitting on it, or bathing in the sea, the UK climate is simply NOT just cloud and drizzle like SOME people on here continually harp on about, it is nowhere near as bad as people (usually people from the other side of the globe) like to claim (because they base their claim on a stereotype and not the facts). There are some people that also claim you can't get sunburn in the UK, my ex mother in law refused to put sun cream on one year when we went to Brighton for the day in August, she decided that the sun in the UK was too weak to burn!!!!! I kid you not! this is an example of the stupidity SOME people show when it comes to the climate in the UK, needless to say she got so badly burnt she could hardly move for 2 days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather