Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better collection of climates?
The U.K. 47 36.43%
The U.S. South 82 63.57%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 12:24 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I have been yes, but I'm basing it off things I see reported in the news frequently rather than stereotypes... And I did say that not everyone was like that
Oh, then you're basing it off an East Coast bias against the South, because many of the things reported aren't always true. For instance, there was a report that Texas won't allow evolution to be taught in schools, but that's simply not true. I know because I went to school in Texas, and my kids are currently in school in Texas. But you can't convince people that have never been here that we learn evolution, have far less racial strife than many places in the north, and are genuinely nice people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Problem is there are no good cities in the south aside from Houston, New Orleans, Charleston, and Savanna, the others are just really sprawling and I love walking so that won't be good. Sometimes I could walk for 10 miles at a time and I won't be able to do that almost anywhere in the South. Even Houston is borderline un walkable pero like it seems like the area round Downtown and Midtown are nice for walking
A lot of people walk around Houston, but we're a car-centric city having our major growth spurt after the automobile was invented. Plus, it gets bloody hot in the summer. It's not the heat so much as the humidity. Sometimes it feels like you're breathing liquid. Luckily, the worst only lasts a couple of months and the rest of the time it's pretty nice. My boss loves that he can play golf year-round here.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:59 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,935,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I talk to him every now and then. He still lives in Australia and seems to be enjoying himself for the most part. Lucky guy

Has he become a permanent resident or citizen? Still in Perth?

At least the guy lived out his dream and got out of cold climates. It's a lot more than I can say about all the cold lovers on this forum from the South that love freezing way cold winters, but don't move anywhere to get them.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The south's culture is way better than it's weather. If you came here, you would meet a lot of welcoming and friendly people.

It is not that, it is a segment of the population that continues to believe the Confederacy was in the right and the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery, only northern aggression.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:02 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Has he become a permanent resident or citizen? Still in Perth?

At least the guy lived out his dream and got out of cold climates. It's a lot more than I can say about all the cold lovers on this forum from the South that love freezing way cold winters, but don't move anywhere to get them.
Maybe because moving isn't something you can just up and do, especially if you're really young. And there's much more important things to worry about than what kind of climate a place has.

I haven't seen you do anything either, besides stay in Philly and ***** about how cold it is.

Btw, I'm moving to Minneapolis before the end of this year anyways.

And if you know who Kamsack is, he moved from Bowling Green, KY to Grand Forks, ND because he loves cold weather. But he did this in like 1990.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:02 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times
Quote:
A lot of people walk around Houston, but we're a car-centric city having our major growth spurt after the automobile was invented. Plus, it gets bloody hot in the summer. It's not the heat so much as the humidity. Sometimes it feels like you're breathing liquid. Luckily, the worst only lasts a couple of months and the rest of the time it's pretty nice. My boss loves that he can play golf year-round here.
I would have to spend some time there to see if it's walkable enough for me. I've walked when it was 97f outside and it didn't feel too bad, altho maybe Houston humidity is worse than new York humidity. I'm too young for golf but I would love to live in a place where in winter you get to wear sweaters instead of five layers of jackets and coats like in Upstate NY, or even in NYC

Old 06-02-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It is not that, it is a segment of the population that continues to believe the Confederacy was in the right and the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery, only northern aggression.
I don't like that either. You don't see too many in Houston like that, but the Deep South has a lot of people who can't seem to let it go.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Oh, then you're basing it off an East Coast bias against the South, because many of the things reported aren't always true. For instance, there was a report that Texas won't allow evolution to be taught in schools, but that's simply not true. I know because I went to school in Texas, and my kids are currently in school in Texas. But you can't convince people that have never been here that we learn evolution, have far less racial strife than many places in the north, and are genuinely nice people.

How were African Americans treated by your states before the Fed Govt, which so many of you hate and despise, had to step in and do something about it?

Old 06-02-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I don't like that either. You don't see too many in Houston like that, but the Deep South has a lot of people who can't seem to let it go.

So then yes you agree that there is a problem with a portion of a culture there that would find anything whatsoever redeeming about a vile regime like the Confederacy.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I would have to spend some time there to see if it's walkable enough for me. I've walked when it was 97f outside and it didn't feel too bad, altho maybe Houston humidity is worse than new York humidity. I'm too young for golf but I would love to live in a place where in winter you get to wear sweaters instead of five layers of jackets and coats like in Upstate NY, or even in NYC
I've always wanted to experience four seasons with snowy winter at least one year to see if I could handle it. My husband's from Pittsburgh, and he flatly refuses to go back to winter like that. It's okay. I am not a real fan of cold, so I'm sure I wouldn't like it very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather