Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2017, 12:47 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times

Advertisements

I've always loved hearing stories about the "snowbirds" who fly south to Florida every winter and annoy the hell out of the locals

Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Some of the things people at my partners hotel complain about are hilarious... As well as moaning about the lack of "British" food, they complain that it is hot (seriously), that there are mosquitoes, that there are cockroaches, lizards etc.. they even complain that there are no UK TV channels on the TV's in their rooms
That's the one that gets me the most. People are always moaning about cold weather, yet whenever the temperature rise above 25C everybody complains that it's "too hot". I swear if Britain had a near-perfect climate like Las Palmas, people would still complain about the weather 24/7, it's in our DNA.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:52 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,777,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I've always loved hearing stories about the "snowbirds" who fly south to Florida every winter and annoy the hell out of the locals
They make driving a ****ing nightmare.

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:
Yeah, they are annoying as ****. They incessantly whine about the weather of the place they came from, but at the same time complain about how things down here aren't the same as back home.

But yeah, we should put with them because tourism is a big part of our economy. Maybe if we had a more diversified economy, we wouldn't have to rely on tourism so heavily and we wouldn't have to do everything in our power to accommodate these retard snowbirds. Alas, South FL's economy is really a piece of ****, there's nothing here that really makes us stand out besides tourism.

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
Quote:
I can't understand why people go on holiday and just want "Britain in the sun". Yes, the weather is good in Spain, but the main reason why I'd visit somewhere is to sample the lifestyle and culture.

People expect the same in Australia, they just care about the sun. They often don't bother to research other aspects about the place, which is why so many Brits return home, giving rise to the term "Boomerang Brits".
Same for Americans. Many go to Latin America expecting "United States in the Sun". Which is why most of them go to Cancun/Costa Rica/Aruba, places which have sun and beaches, and not much else. Actually New Yorkers do an even more inception-esque version of this; they go to the Carolinas and Florida expecting a "New York in the Sun" lol

Old 03-21-2017, 12:53 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
True. Much of the infrastructure is 3rd world too, it's only since joining the EU that proper decent roads have been built & things like traffic lights installed lol... And they don't understand the concept of queuing
Infrastructure has a lot to do with population. England wouldn't have it's motorway or rail network without it's large population.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yeah, they are annoying as ****. They incessantly whine about the weather of the place they came from, but at the same time complain about how things down here aren't the same as back home.

But yeah, we should put with them because tourism is a big part of our economy. Maybe if we had a more diversified economy, we wouldn't have to rely on tourism so heavily and we wouldn't have to do everything in our power to accommodate these retard snowbirds. Alas, South FL's economy is really a piece of ****, there's nothing here that really makes us stand out besides tourism.
A place like southern Florida is always going to attract swarms of tourists, and winter migrants, it's an inevitability. One that will make it very difficult to diversify the economy.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:55 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,093 times
Quote:
I can't understand why people go on holiday and just want "Britain in the sun". Yes, the weather is good in Spain, but the main reason why I'd visit somewhere is to sample the lifestyle and culture.

People expect the same in Australia, they just care about the sun. They often don't bother to research other aspects about the place, which is why so many Brits return home, giving rise to the term "Boomerang Brits".
I go on holidays to countries that are similar culturally, not everyone is interested in sampling the local cuisine and going on tours.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Infrastructure has a lot to do with population. England wouldn't have it's motorway or rail network without it's population.
Not necessarily, generally speaking a nation's infrastructure just needs to meet the needs of its people, if there's less people then it doesn't have to be enormously expansive. Iceland has a small population, yet it has world class infrastructure.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:57 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
Tbh i wish there was a Boston or New York type city in South Carolina. A place with New York politics but South Carolina climate and sunshine. And of course New York style pizza, seems like we're the only place in the states outside Chicago that can make a decent pizza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather