Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 06:31 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Spanish cities are pretty clean tbh. Sure it depends on the region (say Valladolid will be cleaner than Valencia), but overall I don't find them any dirtier than German cities.

Yes, neither do I find them very dirty.

More like happy thread material: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-fra...Name=worldNews

Centrist presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron was seen as the most convincing of the top five election contenders in a French televised debate, according to an opinion poll published minutes after the debate ended.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:42 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I thought Spanish cities are cleaner than German ones? At least Berlin seemed a bit dirty here and there. Better than NYC but not Madrid. Thought I got a whiff of a really horrid smell in Berlin that I can't remember ever smelling in NYC.
Berlin is definitely on the dirty side among German cities though, not really representative. But Germany isn't as pristine as, say, Austria. In some European countries you'd wonder if everyone has OCD. Germany isn't one of these.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:49 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
More like happy thread material: Macron seen most convincing in French election debate - poll | Reuters

Centrist presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron was seen as the most convincing of the top five election contenders in a French televised debate, according to an opinion poll published minutes after the debate ended.
Strange, I found him pretty mediocre. Imho Melenchon and Le Pen performed well (as always...), Fillon wasn't bad and Hamon was so-so but better than Macron. Just noticed that 4 of the 5 main contenders have a surname ending in -on. Hmm.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:58 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,956,021 times
Quote:
Strange, I found him pretty mediocre. Imho Melenchon and Le Pen performed well (as always...), Fillon wasn't bad and Hamon was so-so but better than Macron. Just noticed that 4 of the 5 main contenders have a surname ending in -on. Hmm.
hon hon hon hon hon hon hon

Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
I didn't find New York City to be particularly dirty, especially considering its size. Then again I'm from Paris so it probably explains that. Never encountered the legendary smell thanks to subpar weather. Other US cities may be cleaner but are also smaller. In western Europe, Naples and Marseille have a well-earned reputation.
I know Paris has a reputation for being dirty but I don't think it's that bad. No worse than London imo.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:11 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Manhattan is very very dirty. When we went to Dublin I was surprised at how clean the sidewalks were, I was used to folded up pizza plates and cigarette butts. In terms of weird smells, the city where I studied abroad, Valparaiso, is by far the worst. It's a beautiful little city but Jesus, some of the smells there are inhuman. Some parts of Lima are atrocious too, mostly in the southeast of the city

Old 03-20-2017, 07:55 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:
I showed pictures of turku to a Spanish poster on c-d and she wondered if people actually spend time in the city when it's so squeaky clean.
Turku must look untouched lol, Spanish cities look pretty sterile from what I've seen (online).

Quote:
I didn't find New York City to be particularly dirty, especially considering its size. Then again I'm from Paris so it probably explains that. Never encountered the legendary smell thanks to subpar weather. Other US cities may be cleaner but are also smaller. In western Europe, Naples and Marseille have a well-earned reputation.
The better known areas of the city aren't bad, I can't even call Manhattan filthy, not when there's sections of Brooklyn, Queens, & The Bronx that literally give some third world cities a run for their money. I often see garbage blowing around in the street, random debris, old furniture, abandoned vehicles, broken glass, dead animals, standing water, etc. in neglected neighborhoods. Manhattan has almost none of that.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Turku must look untouched lol, Spanish cities look pretty sterile from what I've seen (online).
All Finnish cities are extremely clean. I hear it from foreigners all the time.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:23 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,620,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I thought Spanish cities are cleaner than German ones? At least Berlin seemed a bit dirty here and there. Better than NYC but not Madrid. Thought I got a whiff of a really horrid smell in Berlin that I can't remember ever smelling in NYC.
yes they are, at least comparing to the german places I visitted, probably if I would went to a beautiful typical bavarian town the cleanliness would be 1000000000%

Ariete, wasn't that female Spanish user Arigarisha? The well known amongst Spanish users here in c-d which is always nothing but bashering about Spain

Spain is very, very very clean, I came from Netherlands and I can compare them, the Spanish are very worried about maintaining anything clean; the only Spanish city which I didn't see clean at all was Barcelona in some places like the Ramblas, but the Spanish people aren't guilt for this, but for the filthy tourists, because some tourists don't know how to behave and think that the ground is their personal bin

same applies to lots of tourists in Mallorca or Benidorm (i'm sorry, but much of them are germans, lots of videos available in youtube) which are drunk asf on the streets and vomit or urinate in every corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
And yes they are, the towns even more, it's all well cared, well painted, even the old houses which haven't got people living on them from dozens of years, are cared by the own local government.

Probably that user which said that to him was Arigarisha, which is always bashering and telling crap about Spain. In her own location is "kingdom of Pain, southern Europe" so

Quote:
All Finnish cities are extremely clean. I hear it from foreigners all the time.
this is true

oh yes, forgot to say that in every corner of every 2 Spanish streets you will find 4 types of containers, one for the general trash, one for the paper/paperboard, one for the glass and one for the packs/cans.

even in small towns you find this, and from many years ago they're extending the type of buried containers, like we have back in Rotterdam but instead here also on small cities. if I don't remember bad, if they catch you throwing the general trash on any reciclying bin or not reciclying they will fine you with some hundred euros, also it's a fine to deposit the trash in summers on daylight (because of the smell)

this is from Spain:

this is from The Netherlands:

Last edited by ase42dv; 03-20-2017 at 09:24 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 08:59 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,956,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post

this is true

oh yes, forgot to say that in every corner of every 2 Spanish streets you will find 4 types of containers, one for the general trash, one for the paper/paperboard, one for the glass and one for the packs/cans.

even in small towns you find this, and from many years ago they're extending the type of ground containers, like we have back in Rotterdam but instead here on small cities. if I don't remember bad, if they catch you throwing the general trash on any reciclying container or not reciclying they will fine you with some hundred euros, also it's a fine to deposit the trash in summers on daylight (because of the smell)

this is from Spain:

this is from The Netherlands:

seems a bit over the top doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather