Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 05:36 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times

Advertisements

Ugh there's another thread with the emoticon on the front page. It belongs to the one and only unhappy thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
He's in Paris with his parents iirc.
Yep. Speaking of Paris, my asthma is back for the first time in three years due to pollen. I picked the worst period for an extended stay in Paris.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:46 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
South of the Pori-Tampere-Lappeenranta line there's currently moderate alder pollen. Hazel is currently starting.

Well, but I'm not allergic, so good for me! I'm allergic to pineapple and kiwi, but those doesn't grow here luckily.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:57 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Spoke to a guy from the University of Sydney today..

"No snow in Sydney, you will have to pack it in your bags" , implying it snows in Raleigh a lot lol.... told him I think you just came here in a particularly cold time. Do people look up climate data from places they visit or is it just weather enthusiasts? I think not as many people seem to get an impression of the climate from the day they visit. People in the NC thread bragging how they visited in Feb from the north and it being nothing but 70s... well did you happen to think we might be in a warm period? Stuff like that gets me as people can be naive.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:39 PM

The populist True Finns Party may choose this guy as their new chairman: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Jussi_Halla-aho

Old 03-14-2017, 08:09 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post

"No snow in Sydney, you will have to pack it in your bags" , implying it snows in Raleigh a lot lol.... told him I think you just came here in a particularly cold time. Do people look up climate data from places they visit or is it just weather enthusiasts? I think not as many people seem to get an impression of the climate from the day they visit. People in the NC thread bragging how they visited in Feb from the north and it being nothing but 70s... well did you happen to think we might be in a warm period? Stuff like that gets me as people can be naive.
I see that all the time on forums for cities all over the south. I once saw someone from DC go on about how cold DC is and how mild Nashville is during "average" conditions, the difference between the two really isn't much. Nashville has the same average lows with milder afternoons by about 3-5 F. Also Nashville has on average a lower extreme low throughout the year than DC (5 F vs. 10 F).

It's almost like people from the Northeast have a knee-jerk reaction that south of the Mason-Dixon cold becomes impossible. I bet you some clueless guy from DC probably thinks it's colder there than in Kentucky....

Old 03-15-2017, 11:31 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,508,583 times
First two 10C days of the year completely ruined by high winds...

this climate

Old 03-15-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
First two 10C days of the year completely ruined by high winds...

this climate
Without the wind you wouldn't had hit 10C in the first place.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:46 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,508,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Without the wind you wouldn't had hit 10C in the first place.
Same direction and slower speeds as yesterday and it had hit 10C, of that I have no doubt. Paradoxically the winds come from the colder waters of the north-west right now too (the strength of the direction indicates Shetland to me). It's just really strange. Yesterday at least it came from NE England.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
It's almost like people from the Northeast have a knee-jerk reaction that south of the Mason-Dixon cold becomes impossible. I bet you some clueless guy from DC probably thinks it's colder there than in Kentucky....
Eh, I'm the opposite. Before this forum I assumed the upper South was colder than actually is, or at least averaged more snowfall than say 6 inches / year. I'd reports of snow in the south and thought the average highs were in the mid to upper 40s so occasional snow with variabailty.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post

I know very few people people who genuinely research climate data, other than weather enthusiasts. I remember in university a guy from southern Germany askied how cold our winters get, when I said the average high was about 8C he looked surprised, and I was just as surprised that somebody would relocate to an area and not even have and quick glance at the climate data, but instead prefer to make assumptions.

Most people I know have a very simplistic understanding of climate. To them Spain = Always scorching; Russia= Always freezing; New York = Same as London; etc.

They don't understand that it's rarely as simple as that. Most western European's don't seem to be able to get their head around continental climates, and how much variation they see throughout the year. I also can't believe how many people simply assume that temperature is a simple as, the further south you go, the warmer it gets. There's so many more variables than that.

And of course, there's nothing more frustrating than when somebody visits an area for a short period of time, especially during an unseasonable spell, then assumes that they're an expert on climate. I've known people to visit London during a heatwave, before returning home and telling everyone it's like Spain

Last edited by Razza94; 03-15-2017 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather