Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2016, 03:44 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,542,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Accents vary greatly here in the U.S. too (not surprising with the sheer size and difference in backgrounds of this country). The most stereotypical "neutral" accents here seem to be in the northern Lower Midwest (states like Nebraska, Iowa, and northern halves of Illinois, Indiana and Ohio) anywhere north of that line seems to be a northern accent (which has very noticeable Canadian influences) and south of that seems to be more southern influenced (of course, the more south you go, the thicker/stronger the accent). Places like KC, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Louisville, Cincy etc seem to have slight southern influences in their speech even though they're not in the south. Of course out of those cities mentioned, Louisville has the strongest accent.
It's funny, and I guess it's because I'm not native, but I really can't tell where a person is from in the US except if he's obviously from the south or Canadian or perhaps around Minnesota I guess. I mean, it might seem obvious since I'm not a native, but I think that most people wouldn't guess that I'm not American if they heard me speak (unless they spoke to me long enough for me to slip so to say). And I'm pretty good at Swedish accents and dialects so it's not that I'm deaf to accents.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:44 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post

Of course, after moving to South FL my accent disappeared in no time, now I have more of a "Miami accent" or neutral accent.
I would describe mine as neutral as well, though there's a slight hint of NJ to it. "Cawfee" and "wader" (instead of "water"). But it's not as strong as places closer to NYC.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:54 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
It's funny, and I guess it's because I'm not native, but I really can't tell where a person is from in the US except if he's obviously from the south or Canadian or perhaps around Minnesota I guess. I mean, it might seem obvious since I'm not a native, but I think that most people wouldn't guess that I'm not American if they heard me speak (unless they spoke to me long enough for me to slip so to say). And I'm pretty good at Swedish accents and dialects so it's not that I'm deaf to accents.
Yeah, someone from say, Iowa and someone from California wouldn't sound too different honestly. It's a bit hard to distinguish since so many places have a stereotypical "neutral" American accent. Like you said, someone from the Deep South or Far North would be a lot easier to distinguish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I would describe mine as neutral as well, though there's a slight hint of NJ to it. "Cawfee" and "wader" (instead of "water"). But it's not as strong as places closer to NYC.
Same here (in regards to having local accents). The typical "Miami Accent" is essentially a neutral accent with noticeable Hispanic/Latino undertones. The accent is stronger near Miami than here in the Broward suburbs. I have a fairly neutral accent but Miami accent does come out on certain words.

Natives here however, American people who have lived generations here in Miami/South FL have a very noticeable southern influence though, specifically African-Americans.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Florida accent gets more southern as you go north, right?

I have a bit of a NYC accent on a few words like ilmc but probably sound fairly neutral. Still a bit different from Midwesterners. A lot of the US sounds the same

Old 12-26-2016, 04:06 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Yeah, when you hear people on American TV shows they tend to sound very similar, unless they are from a specific region like the South or New York, and then their accents are usually exaggerated.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:08 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Florida accent gets more southern as you go north, right?

I have a bit of a NYC accent on a few words like ilmc but probably sound fairly neutral. Still a bit different from Midwesterners. A lot of the US sounds the same
Something like that lol. I notice there's a lot more southern accents in Tampa or Orlando than down here, and very obviously more in the likes of Jacksonville, Gainesville or Tallahassee.

Also, very highly dependent on how urban/rural the area is, with more rural places having stronger accents.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:18 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,093 times
American accents sound the same generally. Yes there are a few places where there are differences e.g Illinois, Texas, Georgia etc but your not going to notice the difference between someone from Los Angeles and someone from Vermont really.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:25 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,777,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Me too. "Moss-cow" doesn't help a Brit since they pronounce moss differently though . Do you say data with the first A being similar to darn or dad? It's hard for me as a non-native to say what I usually say because both dayta and dahta sound normal to me (with the dad-A, a darn-A just sounds weird). I think I instinctively say dahta though. I don't know if a darn-A is an accepted pronunciation though, but that's how I'd pronounce the dah part of dahta myself
Yeah, I say it with the "dad" a. "Dayta" doesn't sound weird to me, I just don't say it like that.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:33 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
American accents sound the same generally. Yes there are a few places where there are differences e.g Illinois, Texas, Georgia etc but your not going to notice the difference between someone from Los Angeles and someone from Vermont really.
Depends, some people in California definitely have accents, they aren't strong though.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:41 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
What's Kevin Spacey's accent as Frank Underwood in House of Cards? It sounds extremely similar to the president's accent in Fallout 3!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather