Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 07:21 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,779,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Well they speak of immigrants in general, not of "illegals" (which is really just code word for Latin immigrants - at least here in the U.S.)

Anyways, I don't really see the point of being so xenophobic. Some people literally seemed terrified of immigrants, to the point it nearly looks cowardly.
Not in all parts of the U.S. We live in Miami though so I see why you would feel that way.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:22 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,376,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Not in all parts of the U.S. We live in Miami though so I see why you would feel that way.
Not sure about that, 99% of the time I see someone bitching about "illegals" I can pretty much guarantee they're talking about Mexican (or Latin in general) immigrants.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,537,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I think that's nearly everywhere, except maybe the few living near a Chinatown or something. Maybe different Latin American country but still hispanic

Old 03-27-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
It's kind of funny, because these kinds of people who are anti-immigration, anti-feminism, anti-PC, etc. etc., like to think of themselves as having taken the red pill; that they have broken free from the sheeple circlejerk society and see it as it really is. They see themselves as so much more rational than everybody else. What's funny about it is that they're one big circlejerk themselves. They usually hang around on forums (news and youtube included as examples of said forums) where their views are shared by almost everyone else there, and then they circlejerk eachother all the while complaining about how everyone else is part of a big hipster-loving PC circlejerk. They like to see themselves as rationalists who have taken the red pill, but then again, the "other side" just sees them as conspiracy thin foil hatters.

And I'd like to leave a little nuance to the whole social PC censorship going on in Sweden that Lommaren likes to rant about. Of course you're not gonna like it if you wanna make the same jokes you've always made, or have the same views you've always had, and these are suddenly deemed wrong. Of course it will be inconvenient for you, but if something is frowned upon, then there's a reason for it. I belong to one of the many (and at least in my part of town I'm with the absolute majority) who adhere to politically correct rules so to say. The reason being if something isn't politically correct, then it's not because of some conspiracy feminazi reason, it's simply because it probably can and will offend people. And the politically correct alternatives almost always have literally no cons other than "but this is the way I've always done it, please don't make me change and adapt". I know it might seem difficult to "keep track of all these new rules", but I mean, they're for the better lol. This is of course when talking about matters like which terminology to use and which jokes to make and whatnot.

And yes, it is still deemed a bit "wrong" to want to close the borders, but in the eyes of most people, that's because it is and should be deemed wrong, you know, and perhaps that is because it actually is wrong? I'm not gonna take a stance and argue or anything, because I frankly don't like arguing about politics, but some food for thought can't be bad?
I find it funny how these types, especially here in the U.S., have the tendency of calling progressives as "snowflakes" (in the sense that we're offended by everything lol) but the most paranoid, scared of everything different, fearful of others, wanting to carry AK-47s because the world is a big and scary place tend to be these type of people.......the irony.

A lot of the anti-PC crowd seems to dislike PC because they can't be openly racist without being scolded. I do think sometimes people get offended over any little thing and that it's a bit over the top, but anti-PC all seem to have something in common....

Old 03-27-2017, 07:32 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,336,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I knew the Bronx had good Mexican, thought they were more a bit further out. Looks worth a trip, hopefully the owners of La Morada haven't been deported. Housing project is across the street, maybe go there earlier in the evening?

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/04/d...ronx.html?_r=0
If they want to deport the owners I'm going to go to the Bronx myself and start a protest; you can't deport someone who makes such delicious food. And you're right, it's better to go a bit earlier since the area is very unsavory. It's fine during the day since it's very busy, but I wouldnt be in that neighborhood past dark

Seems like Aljazeera wrote an article about them Undocumented migrants await Trump's next move | USA | Al Jazeera

Old 03-27-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think that's nearly everywhere, except maybe the few living near a Chinatown or something. Maybe different Latin American country but still hispanic
I remember overhearing this one guy calling some Hispanic woman "illegal" just because he heard her speak Spanish to someone something along the lines of "these illegals are ruining this country, they should at least learn English"

My response: How do you know they're illegal? I speak Spanish a lot of the times too and I'm an American citizen.

Him: ............................

Old 03-27-2017, 07:47 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,336,995 times
Quote:
Being an immigrant myself, the anti-immigrant sentiment of some people on here makes me wonder if they have an issue with me living in the U.S.
I'm an immigrant too, and I don't really encounter any sort of anti-immigrant sentiment outside of a couple of instances here and there. I'm from a "white" country tho, so Im guessing that's the wild card

Old 03-27-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I'm an immigrant too, and I don't really encounter any sort of anti-immigrant sentiment outside of a couple of instances here and there. I'm from a "white" country tho, so Im guessing that's the wild card
Yeah, I bet most people probably can't tell you're an immigrant lol. Living in South FL nearly my whole life, I've never really experienced it either considering the amount of Hispanics we have here. I encountered it a bit when I lived in GA though.

Most anti-immigrant cowards aren't really ballsy enough to talk **** to your face anyways.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,938 times
Mainland European posters stay up rediculously late..seriously.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:05 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,981,938 times
Quote:
Well they speak of immigrants in general, not of "illegals" (which is really just code word for Latin immigrants - at least here in the U.S.)

Anyways, I don't really see the point of being so xenophobic. Some people literally seemed terrified of immigrants, to the point it nearly looks cowardly.
I'm not put off by migrants.. I am somewhat distant around certain ethnic groups and cultures though..i've noticed that Muslim woman in particular almost always isolate themselves completely from the native population of western countries.. Somehow I don't see me, a White male mixing well with them, so you know, it's kinda pointless for me to approach them.

Tbh, certain ethnic migrant groups have an air of superiority about them (at least in the UK anyway).. I'm talking Indians/Malaysians. I don't know if that's because I'm coming into contact with rich international students or what.

There's also the issue of cultural differences, in terms of communication and social norms. What they see as rude will be completely different to what we see as rude and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather