Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 04:50 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I would add Pennsylvania to that list. New York seems to be "sending" a lot of people to Pennsylvania as well. Very cheap housing in PA, though the taxes have gone up due to the population boom.

Monroe County, PA which borders NJ saw rapid growth from the 70s through the 00s. There are people who live there and commute all the way to NYC which takes at least 1.5 to 2 hours on a good day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe...a#Demographics

Old 08-16-2016, 04:58 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I would add Pennsylvania to that list. New York seems to be "sending" a lot of people to Pennsylvania as well. Very cheap housing in PA, though the taxes have gone up due to the population boom.

Monroe County, PA which borders NJ saw rapid growth from the 70s through the 00s. There are people who live there and commute all the way to NYC which takes at least 1.5 to 2 hours on a good day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe...a#Demographics
That's insane.

Reminds me, though. I know when I was in high school, I was aware that a neighbor down the street commuted every day to NYC. Now, I'm a good 100 miles from NYC. To get there, you have to drive about 60 miles on the highway to get to the train station in Hamilton, wait who knows how long for the train, get on and ride to NYC, which itself would take at least 1 hour. Then do it all over again for the drive home. Absolutely insane commute. 120 miles driving every day, and 2 or 3 hours in total being on the train or waiting for it.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
That's insane.

Reminds me, though. I know when I was in high school, I was aware that a neighbor down the street commuted every day to NYC. Now, I'm a good 100 miles from NYC. To get there, you have to drive about 50 miles on the highway to get to the train station in Hamilton, wait who knows how long for the train, get on and ride to NYC, which itself would take at least 1 hour. Then do it all over again for the drive home. Absolutely insane commute.
I can't fathom such a commute. Mine is "only" 50 miles and I'm pulling my hair out.

They want to hold on to their city jobs without paying for the expensive housing in NYC and nearby areas of NJ, but they pay the price with the commute. I'm not in a much different boat, but I work in the next county over from where I live. Don't have to cross two states and river to get to work. Just another reason why the NY metropolitan area is a hard place to live if you don't make three figures plus.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I can't fathom such a commute. Mine is "only" 50 miles and I'm pulling my hair out.

They want to hold on to their city jobs without paying for the expensive housing in NYC and nearby areas of NJ, but they pay the price with the commute. I'm not in a much different boat, but I work in the next county over from where I live. Don't have to cross two states and river to get to work. Just another reason why the NY metropolitan area is a hard place to live if you don't make three figures plus.
I don't understand why this part of South Jersey, though. You could get a nicer place in Burlington County closer to the train station if you wanted to work in NYC.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I don't understand why this part of South Jersey, though. You could get a nicer place in Burlington County closer to the train station if you wanted to work in NYC.
Yeah that's nuts. The train station is still far from NYC, let alone having to drive 50 miles just to reach the station.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:12 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
That's insane.

Reminds me, though. I know when I was in high school, I was aware that a neighbor down the street commuted every day to NYC. Now, I'm a good 100 miles from NYC. To get there, you have to drive about 60 miles on the highway to get to the train station in Hamilton, wait who knows how long for the train, get on and ride to NYC, which itself would take at least 1 hour. Then do it all over again for the drive home. Absolutely insane commute. 120 miles driving every day, and 2 or 3 hours in total being on the train or waiting for it.
My college commute took almost an hour each way thanks the remote parking arrangement. I had to either walk over a mile to class or wait for a bus. The biggest problem facing UK is its central location, just not enough space down there.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's nuts. The train station is still far from NYC, let alone having to drive 50 miles just to reach the station.
Yeah, actually closer to 60 miles each way.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:

Usually those people wanted rural and lots of land, but that seems like an insane way to live.

There are ways to live closer for not that much more money if aren't that picky. I mean, if you're commuting for a city job, it's probably decent. First neighborhood I grew up was a 36 mile train ride to Manhattan; you get some houses for $300,000 or just under. Yard size is small, and houses aren't big, but the area is fine.

A friend of mine shares a small apartment in Brooklyn with another friend of his; each pay about $900 / month, and they could find a bit cheaper. His commute time is under half an hour.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
From what I've heard, many of those long-distance commuters had job elsewhere and then don't want to move out of their home neighborhood.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Usually those people wanted rural and lots of land, but that seems like an insane way to live.

There are ways to live closer for not that much more money if aren't that picky. I mean, if you're commuting for a city job, it's probably decent. First neighborhood I grew up was a 36 mile train ride to Manhattan; you get some houses for $300,000 or just under. Yard size is small, and houses aren't big, but the area is fine.

A friend of mine shares a small apartment in Brooklyn with another friend of his; each pay about $900 / month, and they could find a bit cheaper. His commute time is under half an hour.
Seems pointless since they can never enjoy their homes since they're always commuting and working.

Definitely a lot easier if you have two incomes in a household sharing rent and other expenses.

$1,800/month in Brooklyn sounds really cheap. I thought it was more expensive there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather