Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 03:58 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Like traffic, taxes, and litter? lol
Traffic and taxes mainly lol. Litter sort of, it is more in Cary, Containment Area for Relocated Yankees lol.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah, but even when Londoners move away, they mostly stay in counties bordering London, like Surrey and Essex, or nearby cities like Brighton and Bristol - those places are cheaper than London but still very expensive. It's basically like a NYer moving to New Jersey or Connecticut.

You won't get many people from our equivalents of New Jersey and Connecticut moving to our equivalents of Georgia or South Carolina. Then again, there's no tax at local levels, it's all the same wherever you live.
Hmm... I assumed moving from expensive to cheaper regions is normal. The US trend might be a recent quirk. I read this a while back...

Eearlier US domestic movements, particularly from the east to western US from the late 19th century to mid 20th century was to a place where average incomes were higher. California in particular by the end of that era was wealthier than the national average by far, and more advanced by health, education or development standards. The current sunbelt migration is to poorer to average parts of the US.

Between 1929 and 1945, California’s population swelled by nearly 40 percent, yet this population achieved the greatest per-capita economic growth in the nation, with average incomes 40 percent higher by 1945 than the national average.

Equitable growth and Southern California

Hmm, just found an article on earlier western migration vs current sunbelt migration:

Adding to the anomaly is a historic reversal in the patterns of migration within the United States. Throughout almost all of the nation’s history, Americans tended to move from places where wages were lower to places where wages were higher. Horace Greeley’s advice to “Go West, young man” finds validation, for example, in historical data showing that per-capita income was higher in America’s emerging frontier cities, such as Chicago in the 1850s or Denver in 1880s, than back east.

But over the last generation this trend, too, has reversed. Since 1980, the states and metro areas with the highest and fastest-growing per capita incomes have generally seen hardly, if any, net domestic in-migration, and in many notable examples have seen more people move away to other parts of the country than move in. Today, the preponderance of domestic migration is from areas with high and rapidly growing incomes to relatively poorer areas where incomes are growing at a slower pace, if at all.

Why the Economic Fates of America

Old 08-14-2016, 04:05 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Yeah, most of the movement is still from the rest of the UK to London and the South East of England, because that is where the greatest job opportunities are to be found. Funny thing is, incomes in London have not grown much at all over the past decade, while in other cities they have grown more substantially, but of course London is starting from a much higher base anyway.

Expensive areas tend to be expensive for a valid reason.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:06 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
I don't understand the logic of moving somewhere simply because it's "cheaper". Do people not realize that things are cheap for a reason? If it were the same quality of life I would understand.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
No one moves to Appalachia unless it's Knoxville,Boone, or asheville other than that nope. Surprisingly most people here actually southerners not yankees. I'll find a statistical break down I saw other day. People do move to Eastern NC though, mainly Greenville and Wilmington. Not many end up staying though except in wilmington. Even here where I live in the middle of no where 20 miles east of Raleigh we still get Yankees, not like in Raleigh though.
12% of North Carolinans were born in the Northeast:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...North_Carolina

Old 08-14-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I don't understand the logic of moving somewhere simply because it's "cheaper". Do people not realize that things are cheap for a reason? If it were the same quality of life I would understand.
I imagine some people can achieve a better standard of living moving to a cheaper area, but in general, areas that are expensive will have higher incomes to offset that. London has the highest house prices in the UK, but also enjoys the highest disposable income, so the high wages seem to offset the high cost of living mostly.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
As I said, if you want to buy a house and your job income isn't that good only way is to move somewhere cheaper. I guess schools are worse, the rest might not make a difference.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I imagine some people can achieve a better standard of living moving to a cheaper area, but in general, areas that are expensive will have higher incomes to offset that. London has the highest house prices in the UK, but also enjoys the highest disposable income, so the high wages seem to offset the high cost of living mostly.
Depends on your job; for many worse paying or blue-collar job fields the higher wages don't offset the higher cost of living in the US. Also depends on whether you want to own a house, though rent is generally high in the big Northeastern metros too, unless you live with housemates.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Depends on your job; for many worse paying or blue-collar job fields the higher wages don't offset the higher cost of living in the US. Also depends on whether you want to own a house, though rent is generally high in the big Northeastern metros too, unless you live with housemates.
Just depends really. You can live on minimum wage up here, but in London it's impossible, so if you're on a lower income in London you'd probably be better off living somewhere else, but if you're just earning a normal wage you won't be any better off moving to a cheaper region, unless your goal is to buy a house.

But still, like I said, Londoners would likely choose cheaper areas closer to London, not hundreds of miles away, and would still prefer to work in London.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:18 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
12% of North Carolinans were born in the Northeast:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...North_Carolina
Not too much, but then you have to consider the percentage of North Carolinians born who their parents were also born in NC not any where else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather