Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 03:43 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
God, if I lived in New York and my parents moved me down to Florida I'd be so pissed. That'd be like moving from Paris to Caracas.
Same thing with people who move from like Boston to Phoenix....yeah let me move my kids from the most educated region of the country with the best public schools, really nice areas, etc to place with ****ty schools, overwhelming poverty, drought prone, etc just because I don't wanna shovel snow for 30 minutes a few times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
LMAO spot on.
Lol, even the all caps since they seem to yell all the ****ing time for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
They think NYC is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Really don't get it.
Me neither.

Quote:
That's normal though. Parisians and Londoners are the same - and of course, people in the rest of their respective countries love to hate them. Go to any country and people will hate the biggest/most powerful city. Swedes hate Stockholm, Danes hate Copenhagen, the Dutch hate Amsterdam, etc.

It's just the way the world is.
You can be proud of where you're from without downtalking other cities and places though. That's the thing that annoys me. I don't care that they're from the "most powerful city" or whatever.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Same thing with people who move from like Boston to Phoenix....yeah let me move my kids from the most educated region of the country with the best public schools, really nice areas, etc to place with ****ty schools, overwhelming poverty, drought prone, etc just because I don't wanna shovel snow for 30 minutes a few times a year.
A friend form home moved from Long Island to Phoenix. His in-laws live there, and houses are cheap enough he can afford to own one (he's married with a kid).

Quote:
Me neither.
for better or worse, there aren't any other cities like NYC in the US. A few others have some similarities, but none in the south including Florida.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:47 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Yeah, it's weird. New England in particular is the richest region of the country with the best schools, most educated populations, healthiest people.. yet people pick up sticks and move to a state where the schools are renowned for being exceptionally bad and every other person is severely obese.

Why, just why. I can't think of any other country in the world where people are actually moving away from the wealthiest regions to the poorest.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:50 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Well, with all the transplants here it may as well be NYC junior.

And just because there aren't other cities like NYC, doesn't give people from there the right to constantly down talk other places. Seriously, I see it everywhere. When I lived in GA, the NY transplants were always talking **** about how crappy GA is. OK? So move back then. Lol.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Yeah, it's weird. New England in particular is the richest region of the country with the best schools, most educated populations, healthiest people.. yet people pick up sticks and move to a state where the schools are renowned for being exceptionally bad and every other person is severely obese.

Why, just why. I can't think of any other country in the world where people are actually moving away from the wealthiest regions to the poorest.
Aren't some English moving away from London? Most of the move is explained by cost of living (cheaper housing). I'm surprised you find that surprising. though some is for climate, especially for retirees. Wages are lower in those areas, but housing prices vary more. Retirees don't care about education standards obviously.

The truly poor areas of the south don't get many transplants; few if any move to Appalachia or the deep south besides the Atlanta area or Florida.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:55 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Quote:

And just because there aren't other cities like NYC, doesn't give people from there the right to constantly down talk other places. Seriously, I see it everywhere. When I lived in GA, the NY transplants were always talking **** about how crappy GA is. OK? So move back then. Lol.
Same thing here , they run to escape new York then attempt to recreate it including the things that drove them away .

Quote:
More NYC junior or Latin America?

15,318 posts, read 17,231,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Same thing here , they run to escape new York then attempt to recreate it including the things that drove them away .
Like traffic, taxes, and litter? lol

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Aren't some English moving away from London? Most of the move is explained by cost of living (cheaper housing). I'm surprised you find that surprising. though some is for climate, especially for retirees. Wages are lower in those areas, but housing prices vary more. Retirees don't care about education standards obviously.

The truly poor areas of the south don't get many transplants; few if any move to Appalachia or the deep south besides the Atlanta area or Florida.
Yeah, but even when Londoners move away, they mostly stay in counties bordering London, like Surrey and Essex, or nearby cities like Brighton and Bristol - those places are cheaper than London but still very expensive. It's basically like a NYer moving to New Jersey or Connecticut.

You won't get many people from our equivalents of New Jersey and Connecticut moving to our equivalents of Georgia or South Carolina. Then again, there's no tax at local levels, it's all the same wherever you live. Also, the best schools in the country are located in London and its surrounding area.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:57 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,411,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

No one moves to Appalachia unless it's Knoxville,Boone, or asheville other than that nope. Surprisingly most people here actually southerners not yankees. I'll find a statistical break down I saw other day. People do move to Eastern NC though, mainly Greenville and Wilmington. Not many end up staying though except in wilmington. Even here where I live in the middle of no where 20 miles east of Raleigh we still get Yankees, not like in Raleigh though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather