Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 04:25 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
What? We just use salt here.
Salt is only good down to certain temperatures that's why it is used in the UK. Liquid melters are used in areas that get colder temperatures...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 04:31 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
What? We just use salt here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Salt is only good down to certain temperatures that's why it is used in the UK. Liquid melters are used in areas that get colder temperatures...
Bingo. Here are the lows tonight. Teens here, hence the liquid melters. Salt doesn't work well with temps that low. They'll run the salt trucks tomorrow during the day while its snow. Or maybe not, maybe they'll just plow only.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:38 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice to see you posting again. Come back to your weather roots and forget the General Chat thread! Did you see my response and all my posts on the next bigger storm? (6th and 8th)??

Sometimes I feel bad because I don't give everyone a heads up but I looked back, I did. Don't you and Nei read my hundreds of posts and see my maps and animations??! Watch Feb 6th for more!
Usually. It's just tonight's prediction I was not anticipating. Nor the snow squalls today. But yeah, I definitely look forward to your posts, especially preceding and during storm events. I know I heard something about this weekend - the 5th. Looks like it's in our forecast now, 1-3 inches. Maybe those total might increase?

Old 01-30-2017, 04:41 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
Look this not what I would typically do, but given the relative accuracy of my predictions of the weather in Indianapolis for the winter of 2016/2017, I feel that I at least have the amateur authority to make weather predictions for Indianapolis for the next two or three weeks out; with this being said, the main theme for the remainder of this winter will likely initially start off as being near or below average in temperature for Indianapolis for the next seven to ten days, with precipitation and snowfall likely near or below normal for the next ten days, further out, I predict that at the end of week two in the future, that temperatures will take a turn for the milder and even becoming decidedly springlike between weeks two and three, with precipitation being near average for that period but snowfall looks to continue to be below average.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Look this not what I would typically do, but given the relative accuracy of my predictions of the weather in Indianapolis for the winter of 2016/2017, I feel that I at least have the amateur authority to make weather predictions for Indianapolis for the next two or three weeks out; with this being said, the main theme for the remainder of this winter will likely initially start off as being near or below average in temperature for Indianapolis for the next seven to ten days, with precipitation and snowfall likely near or below normal for the next ten days, further out, I predict that at the end of week two in the future, that temperatures will take a turn for the milder and even becoming decidedly springlike between weeks two and three, with precipitation being near average for that period but snowfall looks to continue to be below average.

Always interesting and fun to read forecasts and thoughts from people. Keep em coming. In the future Requote yourself to see how you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Usually. It's just tonight's prediction I was not anticipating. Nor the snow squalls today. But yeah, I definitely look forward to your posts, especially preceding and during storm events. I know I heard something about this weekend - the 5th. Looks like it's in our forecast now, 1-3 inches. Maybe those total might increase?

Yeah, your right, tonight/tomorrow wasn't supposed to be big but small changes added some extra fluff for us. These little events keep adding up but annoying. 1-3" for Feb 5th is safe bet right now. Still far, so much can change but I'm watching close. Could be 6-8" could be nothing. Storm still showing up. And now another on the 8th (I have a feeling that will be rain for us though, we'll see)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Back to this....... I learned this from my cousin who works for Pelham DOT.

I believe they use Liquid Calcium Chloride or Magnesium here. It works by releasing heat when moisture hits it. So its a pre treatment. Salt doesn't work well with low temps so the liquid is used. Temps in the teens (F) tonight so they opted to use it

Found this link:

Winter Road Treatment and Snow Removal - Snow & Ice - Highway Division

Old 01-30-2017, 06:39 PM

I know what they mean, just looks funny. "Light Snow Likely than Light Snow". Lol

Old 01-30-2017, 06:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I know what they mean, just looks funny. "Light Snow Likely than Light Snow". Lol
Ha, it's computer generated so it's going to create results read weird to humans occasionally.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:10 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
A bit chilly now but doesn't feel bad. Beats the cloudy/cold rain Liverpool type of weather we had recently

Old 01-30-2017, 08:02 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
We need a total and complete shutdown of the SE Ridge

A PV split would be even better

https://twitter.com/judah47/status/826074754935291904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
And then beyond that forecast point how low we'll go, nobody knows

Let's see what the PV does. If it splits all of Feb and into March will be dominated by cold. Though that is a BIG IF...

Old 01-30-2017, 08:26 PM

Current temps. Teens across Western PA. Look at Ithaca. Whoa

26° IMBY

The Clipper is coming. Snowing moderately areas of Michigan this hour

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather