Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 03:01 PM

470 posts, read 454,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
The summers in Texas ARE unbearably hot with no rain and last four months. But, after that suffering, I like the winters. It gets cold, true; but then it'll warm up again. So I like the winters with the exception that it very rarely snows. I can get buy most days with a very lightweight, nylon lined, mid-thigh jacket or coat.
Corpus? I dated a guy who grew up there. He confirmed my experience that the wind in Corpus will "blow your head off." That's how he put it. Like visiting a town experiencing a hurricane. Have long hair? You'll be eating hair all day.
As far as pools in Dallas? The water becomes bathtub warm fast. So you can't cool off even if in the pool. I know people who have pools and they don't even go in them by July it's so darn uncomfortable outside or inside the water.
Yes, inland TX is atrocious in this regard. You have to go far Southeast in the state (to around Houston/Beaumont) to see real, regular relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
If you think the Texas Gulf Coast has moderate temperatures, you don't kow what the word "moderate" means. Houston is hot as hades even in early summer. Now that it's August, we're hitting 99+ degrees. And let's not forget the humidity, the stuff which makes the tropical plants thrive and the people wilt. I was having a conversation with my wife the other day about how even though the kids are out of school for the summer, you wouldn't know it. Because it's so hot and uncomfortable, they stay inside all day and only venture out in the late evening, just like they do during the school year when they're stuck in the classroom. It's as quiet in the summer as during the school year
The Gulf Coast (especially as you go immediate to it) is indeed quite moderate (especially in relative terms). Look at average highs for Galveston, Port Isabel, South Padre, League City, etc; all remain no higher than the low 90s, even in the peak of summer. Going inland, temps get hotter, but not by much; average highs for Central Houston are no higher than 92F in the peak of summer, as per climate data; Bush Airport, as well as places like Conroe, Tomball, etc are much hotter, but they are also much further inland from the Gulf. Sea breezes, rain chances, etc all help to moderate the area in a normal summer. 100F temps are quite infrequent on the TX Gulf, no more than a 3rd of all years experience such temps.

By the time these places like Houston or Beaumont are seeing upper 90s, the rest of Texas would have seen temps far above 100F for weeks. On top of that, winters in these cities, as well as the rest of the Gulf Coast, are very moderate vs the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 03:40 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,956,641 times
Houston being moderate is like saying Hanoi or Kolkata are moderate in the summer. Humidity is extreme. Its a sauna.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:21 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
The climate in Houston is hell...unless you like spending your time in a polluted, dirty, stagnant sauna 9 months out of the year.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:33 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Me too. I like pool shows as well - giving me ideas for the future. A good tree house show doesn't go astray either.

Nice photos. Obviously not much wind in Texas, judging by the condition of the bananas.
Have you ever tried out pinterest? My ex girlfriend used it and I put all my home improvement and cool architecture pics and anything from astronomy to some cool boats I see on the internet on there. I have my own board for my own dream house. You sound like my friend I used to work construction with, he loved tree houses. built one for his kids in north Carolina, looks over this beautiful river in north carolina mountains .

These are the boards I saw for pools and my new favorite things, swim up bars, outdoor kitchens and a fire pit. one on here for cool tree houses

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/swim-up-bar/

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...=pools%7Ctyped

https://www.pinterest.com/zerbest/ba...er-cool-ideas/

cool tree houses

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...=house%7Ctyped

this was a video that a guy who did from that picture of that first first dallas pool I pictured . the dallas pool was on a show from hgtv called cool pools. this is just like a little beer cave/grotto with swim up bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHOFnD_inX8

Last edited by floridanative10; 08-07-2016 at 05:42 PM..

Old 08-07-2016, 05:45 PM

430 posts, read 290,431 times
If you can't take the Heat, stay out of Texas.

But ya, I agree the climate here in TX is insane. The weather here seems to only work in Extremes.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:06 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
[quote=floridanative10;45044265]While I agree that houston is much better for citrus than dallas, I think comparing dallas and north texas to the midwest is way, way off . Dallas is an 8a hardiness zone and capable of growing a ton of stuff you could never grow in say okc or arkansas and the midwest, this guy has tons of palms (mexican fan palms, California fan palms, Washingtonia fan etc), cycads, bamboos,yuccas bananas, some citrus etc

he moved from kansas city to north texas to grow more subtropical stuff

Plant collector brings tropics to Dallas | Dallas Morning News

Winters are mild it seems but alot of people like a change of season, pretty brutal summer but tons of pools at least in plano.

I watch alot of show about pools because I am a banal person lol , texas and dallas has some of the best. florida has the best but texas triangle has much better economy

These are all backyard pools and gardens in or around dallas, first three pics are from poolmaster and hgtv cool pool show. Dallas is not a Midwestern climate by any means

It's not that far off to compare north Texas to the Midwest. In my town, there's plenty of corn crowing around. There's literally corn growing on my block! There's a lot of the same tree species here that I saw in Kansas City. Midwestern native trees thrive here. We're the transitional zone where it is warm enough for some palms but still cold enough to have real seasons. Our weather patterns are more like the Midwest, especially with an abundance of spring storms and tornadoes, than they are like the deep south. The only difference is the actual temperatures in the winter. Btw all those palms will suffer when we experience a harsh cold winter again. Whenever I do see a palm, which isn't often here, it's generally a Mexican desert variety.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Houston being moderate is like saying Hanoi or Kolkata are moderate in the summer. Humidity is extreme. Its a sauna.
Sauna > Oven, anyday. Houston may be humid, but temps are cooler than much of TX during summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
The climate in Houston is hell...unless you like spending your time in a polluted, dirty, stagnant sauna 9 months out of the year.
Houston is better than the vast majority of TX in climate. Way more moderate temps; much of the rest of TX is too hot, too cold, too dry, or a combination of all 3.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It's not that far off to compare north Texas to the Midwest. In my town, there's plenty of corn crowing around. There's literally corn growing on my block! There's a lot of the same tree species here that I saw in Kansas City. Midwestern native trees thrive here. We're the transitional zone where it is warm enough for some palms but still cold enough to have real seasons. Our weather patterns are more like the Midwest, especially with an abundance of spring storms and tornadoes, than they are like the deep south. The only difference is the actual temperatures in the winter. Btw all those palms will suffer when we experience a harsh cold winter again. Whenever I do see a palm, which isn't often here, it's generally a Mexican desert variety.
Cold hardy palms will survive in Dallas. Also, many areas of the inland Deep South see violent storms/tornadoes (especially inland Alabama and Mississippi).

Old 08-07-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
If you can't take the Heat, stay out of Texas.

But ya, I agree the climate here in TX is insane. The weather here seems to only work in Extremes.
The Gulf Coast offers the most moderate, placcid climate in the state. Houston/Beaumont get decent rainfall year-round, and Brownsville/South Padre grows coconuts.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:30 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,449,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Sauna > Oven, anyday.
Yep, I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather