Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: True winters must have snow?
Yes 72 57.14%
No 54 42.86%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 04:53 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,287,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
is it particularly damp in your city in winter ?

i wouldn't go out in a t shirt in 12c (16c probably the lowest ) ,but to sit in the garden in the sunshine at 12 with a coffee is common practice in a sheltered area for some folk .

as for 36c ? hmmm , i've never known that temperature anywhere . I wouldn't go anywhere that gets that high on purpose ,but would go out of season instead .Seems crazy to pay top dollar to suffer an uncomfortable temp

anything above 31 in summer here is extremely rare - temp gauge is stuck on 24- 25c for the entire summer which is just fine

Everblack - 36c is very rare but has been known = just not where i've been at the time lol
usually yeah it is very humid a lot of the time, we have almost no wind and we are surrounded by farmland and there are many canals to carry the water to the fields as the soils are often made of clay. Some 30 km north of us, some areas are actually below sea level, and some of these places actually have foggy days well into spring, sometimes in June. The humidity is actually much higher than here. Check Ferrara for example, they have tropical summers with 23c dps regularly, and their average RH in winter is often above 95%.

That said we also have dry days with relatively lower humidity like the one which was posted above, but they are much less common.

This mostly applies to the period from late november to late january though, as the second part of the winter tends to be a bit drier for some reason. I generally dread this period because the dampness is not something I'm really fond of, and despite having foggy / humid conditions, we don't have much precipitation if at all (december 2015 was the perfect example, this January was also like this mostly) and snow is impossible while the sun is absent. Completely boring and annoying weather in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 06:13 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,399 times
Ahh - interesting weather in that part of the world - i know Milan near you gets a lot of fog in winter . Didn't know about he spring time fogs though .

My first and only visit to Milan was a September day years ago and it was like someone had a hair dryer in my face - like a very warm/hot wind - i had no idea what the **** it was until one day i read about these occasional sirroco type winds that hit your patch - or maybe it was something more localised .

Old 07-11-2017, 08:27 AM

Yeah, Milan is quite similar, although we probably get a bit more sun than them. That said the hair dryer effect is something I've experienced a lot more often when I was in Lyon, which is a bit less continental than Milan and drier overall. It is not very common here, although we've had it several times this year, but 2017 has been drier than last summers (especially 2016 which was pretty muggy in July).

The spring fog thing is more important in the countryside than in the city. Quite often the sky is clear in Bologna downtown, hazy where I am (6 km north of downtown) and turns completely foggy once you're really in the cornfields in the northern part of the province. Similarly, I suppose Milan should have less fog than places like Pavia or Vercelli, but I don't know where to find data on this.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Yeah, Milan is quite similar, although we probably get a bit more sun than them. That said the hair dryer effect is something I've experienced a lot more often when I was in Lyon, which is a bit less continental than Milan and drier overall. It is not very common here, although we've had it several times this year, but 2017 has been drier than last summers (especially 2016 which was pretty muggy in July).

The spring fog thing is more important in the countryside than in the city. Quite often the sky is clear in Bologna downtown, hazy where I am (6 km north of downtown) and turns completely foggy once you're really in the cornfields in the northern part of the province. Similarly, I suppose Milan should have less fog than places like Pavia or Vercelli, but I don't know where to find data on this.
weird how these differences crop up just a few miles apart - is your climate similar/closer to Florence ? that's all in that general area i know ! it also gets a bit mountanous around there (Apennines range) .

Old 07-11-2017, 09:49 AM

Florence is warmer than us in the winter and sunnier overall. Summers should be similar but they probably have more summer drought. We're firmly subtropical while they are mediterranean with subtropical influences.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Florence is warmer than us in the winter and sunnier overall. Summers should be similar but they probably have more summer drought. We're firmly subtropical while they are mediterranean with subtropical influences.
a right old mix going on around there .

some tropical style downpours for you today

Old 11-22-2019, 02:14 AM

11,651 posts, read 12,945,840 times
Might I add, seasonal vegetation variation can also signal a 'seasonal' climate IMO.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:20 AM

9 posts, read 6,160 times
Pianura padana and northern italy (not considering the alps), western part snowier, a lot of fog, inversions, temperatures range between -3 10. For the clothing I have different jackets that i use considering the temperatures. And i always use a scarf cause i'm a singer I dont want to get a cold.

Honestly a prefer a cold temperature like 0 to a medium like 15 (I suffer a lot the switch of the season especially summer thai is very hot for me to Autumn and Winter to Spring)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather