Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: True winters must have snow?
Yes 72 57.14%
No 54 42.86%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 05:45 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,679,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I think exactly the contrary.

Anyway judging by your appreciation of london winter days, you're welcome to spend some winter days in a tshirt here too:

Bring some sandals as well.
I highly doubt it's like that every day, I don't even think most days are like that.

January 24, 2017:

It's not cold. 12 °C, almost windless, clear sky. Not hard to wear a T-Shirt. (I never wear sandals)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 06:10 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,214,588 times
I would say that what is defined as having a true winter season, is highly subjective, and highly depends on the climate being discussed; Indianapolis is definitely one climate that has a true winter season, both in the sense of having waves of bitterly cold Arctic air outbreaks, but also a more or less a reliable snowcover most winters, Indianapolis also has strongly defined springs, summers, and fall seasons, and is viewed by many as a highly volatile, continental climate. Dallas/Fort Worth on the other hand, has a winter season in which there are frosts and even freezes(even some hard freezes at times), but, snow, especially significant, meaningful snowfalls are a rare occurrence in the DFW metroplex; the seasons down in North Texas are considerably more muted in contrast to areas further to the north, as such, I would say that while Dallas, Texas has a winter season per se, it does not have a true winter season like the continental climates to the north.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:39 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times
Yes, but it doesn't need a snowpack. Occasional snow will suffice, say at least an inch per year.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:20 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I highly doubt it's like that every day, I don't even think most days are like that.

January 24, 2017:

It's not cold. 12 °C, almost windless, clear sky. Not hard to wear a T-Shirt. (I never wear sandals)

where does this data come from ? we did not even reach 10c this last january. Also, you chose the rarest conditions possible, we get more days like in the picture than such dry conditions. Of course those are nicer, but then again it's like picking a 29c day in Manchester and tell they have nice warm summers.

still, i would not wear just a tshirt at 12c in january with the low sun angle, unless I would be playing a football game or do some intense sport.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:46 AM

2,132 posts, read 1,369,890 times
12c in january in winter with the sun out can feel quite warm in January low sun angle or not - not quite shorts and T shirt weather , but nice enough to sit outside and enjoy the sun with a cold beer in a light sweater

the main factor is a sheltered position - my courtyard is a sun trap and everyone moans about the intense heat - in winter it feels quite toasty on ( albeit rare ) 12c - 14c sunny days . Even 9c and sunny can feel nice .

location location location

a windswept open promenade is a no no at the same temps

Old 07-07-2017, 04:54 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
12c in january in winter with the sun out can feel quite warm in January low sun angle or not - not quite shorts and T shirt weather , but nice enough to sit outside and enjoy the sun with a cold beer in a light sweater

the main factor is a sheltered position - my courtyard is a sun trap and everyone moans about the intense heat - in winter it feels quite toasty on ( albeit rare ) 12c - 14c sunny days . Even 9c and sunny can feel nice .

location location location

a windswept open promenade is a no no at the same temps
yeah, in the sun at noon / early afternoon it certainly is ok, I'd still wear a medium jacket though, but no hat or gloves for sure. We do have some 15c days in mid winter and they definitely feel mild, but there's a difference between 15c in January and 15c in April due to sun angle and generally drier weather in the spring time. I hang out in short sleeves on most April / May afternoons here.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:55 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post

Those are the places I just said have true winters, and have you tried it? If you're wearing proper winter attire WITH winter cover trousers, you're gonna be warm, but your face will still be uncomfortably cold. Also, in these places, you're never gonna be truly comfortable unless you wear cover trousers. If you're not warm unless you're wearing cover trousers, you have a true winter. If you can walk around in jeans without long johns outside for an hour, it's not a true winter.
You didn't get my point. I said people in Canada and Russia (places with "true winters") do walk around rather cozy, wearing "proper winter attire WITH winter cover trousers" as you say. Obviously they wouldn't be wearing any jeans (I didn't bring up jeans?). So if they're comfortable walking in the streets in such heavy winter attire, then they're not experiencing real winters by your logic? I really don't know what you're trying to say, tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Nothing to do with being tough. Maybe people in Sydney dress and feel like that where 5C happens once a year. In NYC, jeans and a hoodie or light jacket are common in 5C. I see school kids wearing shorts down way below 5C. Nobody goes out of their way for that kind of mundane temp.
Fair enough. Weather is relative I guess. Hell, 5C will be incredibly mild and pleasant for Yakutsk standards in their winter, perhaps even nice and warm for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I don't know, everyone wears that they want, I guess?
I'm not sure if Sydney actually feels colder than everywhere else.
I have no idea. People here start to complain when temperatures start to average between 19C-20C, with nighttime temps barely plummeting below 12C (such as in mid autumn). To them, that range is unpleasantly cold. I personally start feeling "cold" when the daily temperature ranges between 17C and 4C. 17C is nice, but it takes a long time to reach that temperature after cool 4C-ish nights. I mean, as soon as the temp rises to 17C, it rapidly starts to fall again.

But yeah, everyone can wear what they want. Winter fashion is the most prettiest, so they try to make the best of it.

I've seen women looking like this in nice, sunny 19C days:

Quote:
That's because 5 °C in Sydney is dry (I think). A humid 5 °C is very comfortable and the things you said don't happen at all (^-^)
Well, they happen to me (to an extent) and you can't say they don't happen to other Sydney-siders.

Funny thing is that it's 5C°C right now as I'm typing this. Lol. The RH% is 77%. I personally consider it to be dry because it's cool, if that makes sense? The air feels rather crispy in these conditions. It only starts to feel really moist in this temp when the RH% is above 85%. Temps below 7C usually have humidity higher than 70%. 0C-4C are mostly humid, with RH level between 80% to 95%. That's when dewpoint forms.

Quote:
It depends on the day. -1 °C, sure, you can be comfortable in winter clothing. I like breathing that air. But when it's like -20 °C it's very hard to be comfortable. When I go outside I get a mild headache, like when I eat ice cream too fast (those who experienced it will probably understand me). I can stay 30 minutes outside but staying outside for several hours will make you feel very cold.

People from climates that never get below freezing might see videos where the temperature is below -30 °C and see that life goes as usual and people don't complain. They might think that temperature is comfortable, but it is not.
We only complain because we don't have the winter gear, I guess, for the winter conditions around or below 0°C. I usually wear a light sweater with a rather thin jumper below it. Doesn't really protect me from the cold, unless if I'm wearing a hoodie or something. And that's how many Australians outside of Canberra dress like. On top of that, our homes are badly insulated. Cold (and hot) air can easily come in. In a way, my house is "continental" - Unbearably cold in winter and scorching hot in summer. You wouldn't survive without a heater or an aircon in my home.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:09 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
^ People wear clothes like that at 19 C to make a "fashion statement" not because they're actually cold. Those are the same idiots I see wearing heavy jackets, scarves and boots at 20 C and hoodies at 30 C. Dumbest **** I've ever seen.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:13 AM

765 posts, read 573,948 times
I suspect in Sydney, people wear clothes like that because they're cold.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:13 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
At 19 C? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather