Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: True winters must have snow?
Yes 72 57.14%
No 54 42.86%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:47 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,174,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Even Coastal SoCal gets a noticeable difference between winter and summer

San Diego Lindberg:

January 18.4°C/9.4°C
August 24.7°C/19.3°C

Yes, there is a difference in average temperatures, HOWEVER, coastal SoCal can have 90F+ days in January (especially during the drought years of 2013-2015) and days that fail to hit 70F in July (especially that non-summer of 2010). Every single year, the coast has some days in January where the highs are higher than some days in summer. That is what sets it apart from other climates of the similar latitude.

As for the original question, the "true winter" is subjective and in the eyes of the beholder but I would say would at least need a wardrobe difference between seasons which is lacking in coastal California and South Florida outside of cold snaps. San Francisco general wears hoodies year round except for warm spells and Miami generally wears shorts year round except for cold snaps. However, places like Atlanta and Dallas, while lacking regular snow would have reliable wardrobe changes from season to season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 01:49 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Even under such conditions, I imagine the sun is a bit weaker. There's another difference.
Yeah, the sun from November-January really has nothing on our summer sun. It's still a noticeable presence, but it's not quite the intense, scorching sun we see here in June/July though.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:53 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Most places which are not tropical have a "winter" but for it to be a "true winter" there has to be a significant temperature difference.

Personally, a winter for me involves cold temperatures and lots (100"+) of snow.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:03 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,253 times
Yes. At least some but doesn't need to be snowy. My personal threshold for a 'true winter' is a mean of <5ºC for that season. And most cities with that average get some snow yearly.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:12 PM

70 posts, read 70,849 times
Not really. There's lots of regions in the world where it gets super cold during the winter, but due to dry conditions they don't get much or any snow.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:15 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast93 View Post
Not really. There's lots of regions in the world where it gets super cold during the winter, but due to dry conditions they don't get much or any snow.
Like Borzya

Old 07-04-2017, 04:31 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
I would say no but for me to qualify as winter, the nighttime temp should at least drop to or below 32F at least once.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:36 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,111 times
Temperature significant/noticeable difference, daylight variation, lower sun angle, etc. I agree that snow is "wintry", but not necessarily a part of "true" or "defined" winter. There are places (in Antarctica) in which snowfall peaks in the summer, because it's too cold (dry, low dewpoints/absolute humidity) to snow in the winter

Old 07-04-2017, 08:51 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Istanbul winters maybe cold for Australian standards, but they aren't cold for many people, including me. 8.5 °C average high means a light cotton long-sleeved T-Shirt is enough for me. I don't feel cold at 8 °C. It just feels a bit cool. I don't consider that as "true winter", because I don't need gloves nor heavy clothes. It's not "too warm" for me because I like those temperatures, but for a cold weather lover I can understand why it would be too warm. It's just not exciting enough.
Except, many people are not you. I am confident to say that most people in the world would consider 8C to be cold (maybe besides Canadians and Russians).

Sure, 8C is not frigid. But it is cool enough for a knit-sweater, gloves and beanies, especially when dry westerlies are whooshing. Heck, my 60 year old grandfather, who visited us from a quasi-continental place like Berlin in the 90s, would be wearing such attire in our 8C nights. A lot us in here do, including many recent refugees from the colder regions of Iraq (the north), Syria and Jordan, which generally have colder winters (with 6C-10C highs) and even receive snowfall. So why would they dress up like that here when the daytime temp is around 13C (much warmer than their native winter weather)?

Quote:
Istanbul is warm in the winter.
To you.

Quote:
Gyumri in Armenia is cold and I think it would be more exciting than Istanbul in winter for a cold weather lover (but I prefer Istanbul because I don't like cold weather). It has an average high of -3.7 °C and that temperature is cold because I need gloves and a jacket to stay outside. And if it's windy even a hat. But not with Istanbul's winter. Gyumri has a true winter.
Jesus Christ, does a winter need to be subfreezing & frigid in order to be "cold"? But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:17 PM

31 posts, read 25,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe3797 View Post
Of course no. Snow is just a feature of winter, but the main characteristic is cool/cold/very cold weather. Winters could also be rainy as well. It all depends on the climate.
I would agree. Snowfall certainly is an icon of winter, but there are plenty of places that have frigid and very dry winters. If you're talking about places that never receives/ has never reliably received snowfall, I would still consider them to have winters whenever I feel I must turn the heat on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather