Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 08:18 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Midland is not a desert....its semi-arid steppe.I was talking about fall back east.What part of the east are you talking about for summers?
New Jersey (Mid-Atlantic) summers.

I thought Midland is in the western part of Texas?? It has to be a desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 08:52 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
New Jersey (Mid-Atlantic) summers.

I thought Midland is in the western part of Texas?? It has to be a desert.
Well Midland is West Texas....it becomes desert once you get west of the Pecos River at Pecos.The desert region of Texas i called the Trans-Pecos aka Far West Texas.I think a desert has to get ten inches or less to be a desert.Midland gets about 14 inches of rain a year.I would prefer New Jersey summers to ours.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:53 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Phoenix doesn't have a fall, so I'm not sure.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:34 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Wait so snow is not bad in Colorado? Snow removal back in New Jersey is pretty good except for the ghetto cities like Newark. In NJ, snow does not melt within a few days, but the exact length of time for snow to melt varies from time to time, because East Coast weather is dynamic where it would be either warm or cold the next day or week. Colorado has warmer winters and I guess intense sunshine causes faster snow melting times.
Colorado is a big state. It definitely stays snowy in the high mountains all winter. Denver is a very different story. It’s dry, snowy, sunny, cold, and warm often in the same week. What is predictable is lots of intense sun. It never stays cold long. No weeks of gray.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:37 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Wait so snow is not bad in Colorado? Snow removal back in New Jersey is pretty good except for the ghetto cities like Newark. In NJ, snow does not melt within a few days, but the exact length of time for snow to melt varies from time to time, because East Coast weather is dynamic where it would be either warm or cold the next day or week. Colorado has warmer winters and I guess intense sunshine causes faster snow melting times.
Depends on your definition of bad. Denver averages 54" of snow per year, but it doesn't come all at once, and it doesn't stick around for weeks on end. We occasionally get dumped on (8 inches or more at a time), but most snowstorms are 3-6". We've been back in Denver for 7 years. Just bought a snowblower last year. Used it once, but there was only about 4" of snow on the driveway.

After 12 years in Dallas I'll take shoveling snow over sweating my cojones off for 1/3 of the year 100% of the time. May/June-September/October in North Texas sucks.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:14 AM

485 posts, read 324,403 times
Quote:
Is the climate out West similar to the Fall weather of the East due to the low humidity?

I know Arizona obviously gets blazing hot in the summer, but to me, I would prefer hot desert heat over a cool 100% humid day in NJ. Cool, cloudy days with extremely high humidity are horrible and I can't breathe unless the sun comes out and dries the humidity out.
I lived in Palm Springs, CA for a few years and its VERY hot and dry there ... I would dream of cool, crisp days because they felt like heaven to me. One year in March I flew from Palm Springs to Newark (vacation in NYC) and I felt alive there ... it was so green, loved the energy, the rain and the cooler temps. Hubby and I were walking thru Central Park when it started pouring, we didn't have an umbrella and didn't care...we just laughed and ran in the rain, like kids, it was great!

I'm in San Diego now, which doesn't get as hot as Palm Springs, but still more humid than I'd like. I actually preferred the drier (but cooler) temps growing up in Colorado.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:42 AM

485 posts, read 324,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I have never owned a snowblower. The difference here is that we don’t get weeks of cloudy gray weather in the winter. It snows, then it gets sunny and the snow melts. One of the nice things about very low humidity is lots of intensely sunny winter days.

People like to point out that the City of Denver’s snow removal is nowhere near as good as eastern cities because the city’s plan is typically to wait a day or two for it to be 55-60 degrees and sunny.
This is what makes Colorado so awesome! Drier, more comfortable air, four seasons but sunny in the winter so snow doesn't stick around long.

Growing up, my dad took a job in Detroit but the family didn't want to leave CO so we all stayed behind and he'd come back for visits...I flew up to visit him in Detroit once and wow, I was not a fan. Growing up in Colorado, I thought I would be prepared for winter temps in Detroit but boy was I wrong! I'm glad my family stayed in Colorado because I don't think I could have survived in Detroit.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:59 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
I lived in Palm Springs, CA for a few years and its VERY hot and dry there ... I would dream of cool, crisp days because they felt like heaven to me. One year in March I flew from Palm Springs to Newark (vacation in NYC) and I felt alive there ... it was so green, loved the energy, the rain and the cooler temps. Hubby and I were walking thru Central Park when it started pouring, we didn't have an umbrella and didn't care...we just laughed and ran in the rain, like kids, it was great!

I'm in San Diego now, which doesn't get as hot as Palm Springs, but still more humid than I'd like. I actually preferred the drier (but cooler) temps growing up in Colorado.
I used to live right next to Joshua Tree, and I would go from 115 degree weather to 67 degree weather in the summer in San Diego just two hours down the road. California has the most drastically changing weather that I can think of. Even just in LA county, right now it's 70 degrees at my house in Santa Monica, and 95 degrees in Palmdale both being well in LA County not to mention the San Gabriel mountains still in LA county where the lows are in the 30s tonight.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:03 AM

213 posts, read 175,299 times
Maybe California will be more enjoyable in the spring. But to the north in Oregon there is not that much difference. The west is very pleasant in the summer taking out Socal a few miles inland, and that is the main point.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:55 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,957 times
Sorta. Depends where you are talking about. I grew up in New England and now live in western Washington. Summer here is dry, sunny, and rather mild with very little humidity. Outside of summer it is quite rainy and cloudy but the temps do not get cold compared to New England in winter. I think fall temp wise is probably quite similar if we are comparing northeast to here...obviously southeast will be much hotter. Right now it is 60f outside here and the temps are very similar to what it is New England area for the next 10 days. Obviously that will change though as fall, winter, spring are quite same here temp wise while there winter gets quite cold and snowy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather