Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 01:04 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,495,103 times

Advertisements

Today and this past weekend in New Jersey, we had gorgeous weather. The humidity died down (it probably spread its wings and fled until next summer) and the weather feels tremendously different. We had typical Fall weather. It was extremely comfortable and made me so damn alive! It made me feel like a more lively person. When Fall comes, it makes me feel like it was the first time I ever felt different. Humidity is damn miserable.

Is the climate out West similar to the Fall weather of the East due to the low humidity?

I know Arizona obviously gets blazing hot in the summer, but to me, I would prefer hot desert heat over a cool 100% humid day in NJ. Cool, cloudy days with extremely high humidity are horrible and I can't breathe unless the sun comes out and dries the humidity out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 01:19 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
In western Oregon we are in the mid 70's and humidity is pretty low. We don't get humidity like the east and south. I lived in Biloxi, Mississippi in the 70's and the humidity was atrocious. 70 to 80%, and then mid afternoon, it started raining, still mid 80's and humidity went up to 100% I guess. Yikes!

Old 09-24-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
In western Oregon we are in the mid 70's and humidity is pretty low. We don't get humidity like the east and south. I lived in Biloxi, Mississippi in the 70's and the humidity was atrocious. 70 to 80%, and then mid afternoon, it started raining, still mid 80's and humidity went up to 100% I guess. Yikes!
In NJ, I keep tricking myself that the rain in the summer cools down the place, but it only makes the humidity worse. Before and after a rainstorm, the humidity will be super high with a cool day and that is the most uncomfortable weather ever. I guess the West's humidity doesn't increase when it rains. You live in Oregon. I always wanted to live in either Washington or Oregon when I finish college.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:23 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
Saying "out West" is the same thing as saying "back East" and meaning the area between Maine and Key West. There are a lot of different climates, from coastal to mountains to deserts and a lot of stuff in between.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-24-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Saying "out West" is the same thing as saying "back East" and meaning the area between Maine and Key West. There are a lot of different climates, from coastal to mountains to deserts and a lot of stuff in between.
Yes, the West has more variety in climates than the East. I think all the West's climates are far more comfortable than anything in the East. In fact, the West has micro-climates like in Mt. Rainier in WA.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:02 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post

I know Arizona obviously gets blazing hot in the summer, but to me, I would prefer hot desert heat over a cool 100% humid day in NJ. Cool, cloudy days with extremely high humidity are horrible and I can't breathe unless the sun comes out and dries the humidity out.
I think this would require what you consider "hot desert heat" and what you consider a "cool" 100% humid day in terms of temps..........

Old 09-24-2018, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 3,722 times
It really depends where you mean. Oregon and Washington are very wet almost year round, whereas, say, Southern California, Nevada, and Arizona, are going to be very dry year round.

Since you say you prefer hot desert heat, you could look into Phoenix or Flagstaff. Phoenix is going to be desert year round, whereas Flagstaff does get a semblance of "four seasons" (nowhere near like the North East, but about as close as you'll get in the southwest).

Old 09-24-2018, 02:57 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,393,460 times
In CO humidity averages 30-40% during the summers and 10-15% in the winters. Its so dry here, it can be raining and still only show 90% humidity on a hygrometer. Sometimes, we have huge rain clouds producing moisture that evaporates before it even hits the ground. Look up Virga. happens all the time in the inter-mountain west.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:05 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfishie View Post
It really depends where you mean. Oregon and Washington are very wet almost year round, whereas, say, Southern California, Nevada, and Arizona, are going to be very dry year round.
This is way off. On the west coast, the pattern is: Wet winter, dry summer. The only difference between California and OR/WA is the timing of the arrival and departure of the wet season, and the amount of rain they get in the wet season.

Inland west that is somewhat the pattern, except it's more complicated because you get a lot more thunderstorms in the spring and summer, and some parts of the Rockies are dryer in the winter. In the SW you get a summer "monsoon" with a lot of thunderstorms and increased humidity. To some extent that extends into CO and UT.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:25 PM

69 posts, read 54,117 times
In my neck of the woods in AZ, we are wrapping up monsoon. Mid/Late summer is our "rainy" season. In this area, fall and spring, and most of winter, are pretty dry. Being desert, the temperature fluctuation is usually higher than littoral/coastal or high humidity areas. There can be an 82F high on a December day and still reach the 30's at night. The West has numerous micro-climates, dependent on elevation, mountain range location, etc. Very difficult to encompass such a large area under one meteorological/climatic umbrella. Frankly, most here love the weather all the time except maybe for monsoon season (I personally like it, but some want nothing but sun 24/7/365).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather