Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2020, 05:16 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,404,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Beautiful Sunny cool morning. I see a lot of 40s out there 7am August 20, 2020.
Coolest since about early-mid June for most of us.

So nice to get a break. 57° here

Same here. Weekend is going to get hotter though, and the. Humidity arrives again. But, we should see another cool down into September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 06:32 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Much of the country is in the 90s today, couple spots in the SW near Toulouse are supposed to break the 100°F mark later in the afternoon.

Summer still going strong near the Med:

"Summer" not losing grip in Brittany either:

Old 08-20-2020, 09:32 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
It got to 60F here this morning, coolest since late June. I could see my breath thanks to the high humidity.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:39 AM

6,808 posts, read 4,246,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
"Summer" not losing grip in Brittany either

I spent a whole July in Brittany (NW of Quimper) back in the 1990s...there's two things I primarily remember..the weather never felt like summer..and everything seemed very quaint and very quiet.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:16 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
The thing about flooding is that it comes with plenty of warning for the most part. People KNEW Harvey was coming and had at least some time to get out of danger if we're talking about life threatening situations. I think the final amount took people by surprise, but there were plenty of opportunities to get out of harm's way.

With one day events where a storm parks over an area, that can be a little more problematic, but still, you have time til it's actually dangerous. If you're even slightly weather aware (like this board), you can adequately prepare and know to not do anything stupid like drive in a flooded road.

If you're lucky, you have a tornado warning 15 minutes before one strikes but many people get caught with practically no warning and maybe just a Tornado Watch to keep them on their toes.
My sister's house got 5' of water from Harvey. She didn't evacuate because the mayor said not to (I told her to evacuate but she was stubborn). Her son ended up using their kayaks back and forth to get them to dry land. Houston is a horrible place to retire for that reason. DFW is as well.

Austin is actually in a sweet spot because it doesn't get harmful effects of tropical systems other than rain and it doesn't get tornadoes because it's outside the southern range of it. However, because of our topography there are parts of town that flood.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:22 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
95F with 55F dewpoint on the way to 98. Cobalt blue skies, light winds, low humidity. Beautiful day!

Old 08-20-2020, 01:34 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,217,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
95F with 55F dewpoint on the way to 98. Cobalt blue skies, light winds, low humidity. Beautiful day!
Is this airmass of desert origin, i.e. continental tropical?.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:35 PM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times
3pm it's 82F here, 84F at MDW and 85F at the big airport ORD...

Every over the next week will be near 90F or above. Maybe mid 90s by next Wednesday

And there is SO much drought showing up all of the suddent

Hopefully the two tropical lows developing might bring relief to some areas

Old 08-20-2020, 03:37 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
My sister's house got 5' of water from Harvey. She didn't evacuate because the mayor said not to (I told her to evacuate but she was stubborn). Her son ended up using their kayaks back and forth to get them to dry land. Houston is a horrible place to retire for that reason. DFW is as well.

Austin is actually in a sweet spot because it doesn't get harmful effects of tropical systems other than rain and it doesn't get tornadoes because it's outside the southern range of it. However, because of our topography there are parts of town that flood.
Yea, but that's really poor planning than anything. I was on the 5th floor of an office building with a car parked on the 2nd level of a parking garage so I knew I was good.

And Harvey was I'm pretty sure the worst flooding on record in Houston. Topped TS Allison in '01 was the previous worst event I think. In any given year, I'd take my chances in Houston over DFW

Old 08-20-2020, 03:38 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Much of the country is in the 90s today, couple spots in the SW near Toulouse are supposed to break the 100°F mark later in the afternoon.

Summer still going strong near the Med:

"Summer" not losing grip in Brittany either:
Oof, I'm guessing a lot of people don't have A/C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather