Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2022, 02:13 PM

2,950 posts, read 2,920,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
The parks here are caked with a 5cm thick layer of ice so hopefully there's enough snow to make the paths less slippery rather than more so. I'm in that 10-15cm prediction zone.

This winter will probably have the longest continuous stretch of snow-cover in the past decade btw, at least going off memory. From January 17 to now we came close to losing our snow cover a couple times, and right now there's patches of grass around our evergreens in our front yard, but the back and side yards still have about 5cm of icy snow. The way the forecasts are, we might have snow lasting into mid-March, for a total of almost 2 months of continuous snow cover. Many winters the longest stretches of continuous snow cover we have are only about 2 weeks.
Wow, I thought that number would have been higher. Actually it's pretty similar to what central Patagonia sees here at similar latitudes, or just a few degrees poleward. Although I see you live at the lakeshore. I guess in the interior the numbers may go upward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 03:50 PM

5,902 posts, read 6,111,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Wow, I thought that number would have been higher. Actually it's pretty similar to what central Patagonia sees here at similar latitudes, or just a few degrees poleward. Although I see you live at the lakeshore. I guess in the interior the numbers may go upward.
Yeah, the areas around Hanover, Flesherton and other small towns in the uplands SW of the Georgian Bay have snow cover lasting much longer due to much more lake effect snow + 4-5C colder temperatures. Same goes for the uplands north of Orillia/Peterborough/Belleville (ex Minden).

Mean temperatures in Oakville are about -3C in both January and February but slightly over half the average liquid equivalent precipitation in those months is from rain (and significantly over half in December & March).

More often than not southern Ontario is dominated by relatively cold air masses in winter, but large amounts of precipitation are tied to interaction between cold and warm air masses that happens in a smaller percentage of time. We got a lot of rain this winter because the small number of time we had mild weather it was almost always accompanied by fairly heavy rain (followed by snow as cold air masses moved in). When it's more consistently cold we usually just get light flurries.

Usually in southern Ontario, the mean temperature has to be -5C or lower to get more snow (liquid equivalent) than rain. In areas/months with temperatures of -5C to 0C there will typically be more rain.

Old 02-25-2022, 03:53 PM

5,902 posts, read 6,111,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
The parks here are caked with a 5cm thick layer of ice so hopefully there's enough snow to make the paths less slippery rather than more so. I'm in that 10-15cm prediction zone.
Welp, we only got about 3cm. I guess we'll be snow free as soon as we get warm weather (hardly any of that in the 7-day forecast though).

Old 02-25-2022, 03:59 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
For those of you who don't know what you deal with in a sleet storm, here's a quick look.

And this is only 1 inch of sleet with a little ice on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGBD...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-25-2022, 04:51 PM

30,459 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Unfortunately I see some severe Spring flood threats with this pattern setup and the Southeast ridge causing the storm track to continue to deliver massive precipitation amounts for the Ohio Valley.
Everyone else gets feet of rain and i can't buy a drop for 4 more months.

Old 02-26-2022, 10:53 AM

Everyone on this map is below normal except for Florida, GA, and SC.

Even Southern Texas is below normal. Midday almost March and its only 40s down there?

Old 02-26-2022, 10:58 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Everyone on this map is below normal except for Florida, GA, and SC.

Even Southern Texas is below normal. Midday almost March and its only 40s down there?

Amazing. We have had many below normal days with less rain than normal this winter.

Old 02-26-2022, 03:36 PM

749 posts, read 419,308 times
Currently here, in Downeast, Maine..17F Degrees, Dew Point 8F Degrees, Winds SW 4mph, Gusts 10mph, Pressure Dropping 30.19. Clear and the gloaming is here!

Such a lovely day of blue skies and brightness (as we received about 5.5" of snow from yesterday)! Watched the birds flit about the bird and suet feeders, not venturing outside...
Right now, it is probably the most beautiful time, as the last of the day exhales and it's colors breathes across the Birch Meadows...
She is once again draped in white and pastels with the shadows of the pines and evergreens as a background...
If we ever own her, there will be flowerbeds and foundation shrubs around the house, to draw the wild-life even closer!
But most importantly, the Meadows will be pasture (and green), where a few head of Milk-Cows and their young will graze (and of course, some geese and heritage chickens)!
In the midst of chaos, and mayhem of this world...
Keep your dreams!
for surely they will keep you warm....

Old 02-27-2022, 02:29 PM

Arctic front tonight, but 2 weeks from this evening we will have twilight at 7pm. Im ready for Spring

Old 02-27-2022, 03:06 PM

30,459 posts, read 21,298,747 times
More mid 80's today inland in my state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather