Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:55 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times

Advertisements

Why do people have such an aversion to cold weather? I love, love, love cold weather. My feeling is, you can always put more clothes on to stay warm, sleep with flannel sheets and cuddle by the fire with your significant other...or your puppy.

Hot weather to me (anything above 85, depending on humidity) is absolutely awful. Only so many clothes to take off. My wife knows when I've had enough of summer when I begin closing the curtains, crank up the a/c, pull out a blanket and watch Christmas movies.

So what is it about cold weather that bothers people?

PS: yes, I live in Minnesota...the coldest weather I've been in while living here is -40 with the windchill, which was tooooo cold for me. I can handle/enjoy up to -25 and then it's time to stay inside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 10:02 PM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
I'm with ya on this one! I HATE HOT weather, I don't even care for warm weather. To me it's so much easier to get warm than try to get cool when it's 100 or more outside. I can't stand to be hot and that's why I hate living in Houston. The humidity is what kills you here. The humidity even makes the cooler weather feel damp. We don't have winter here, maybe a few days in Jan then back to warm, it's so up and down. So that's why we want to move to a place that has four seasons. If it's over 72 that's too hot for me

Old 03-10-2007, 10:05 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times
I don't mind cold weather either! I do prefer dry roads, though, since I drive a truck! Lived in FL during my high school years and was stationed there later in USAF. Don't know now how I EVER got used to the humidity...

Old 03-10-2007, 10:13 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post

For me I think it has to do with where I'm geographically at on the map....meaning, personally I would take an Alaska or say a Maine "cold" over a Cleveland "cold". Alaska and Maine are beautiful in the snow and cold...Cleveland...not so much.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:20 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
I like cold normally too. For me it's a pain and uncomfortable when you have to work in it for hours at a time. And this winter we didn't have a choice because of all the ice storm damage in January. I still have a lot to clean up and I've been doing it for nearly two months. When it's 18F and windy outside and you're sawing up trees...you get a bit unappreciative of the cold!

Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
MoMark, yeah I do agree with you there! It is definitely no fun. Ice storms do so much damage, including power outages...which is something we haven't experienced this winter, thankfully.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:26 PM

562 posts, read 659,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Why do people have such an aversion to cold weather? I love, love, love cold weather. My feeling is, you can always put more clothes on to stay warm, sleep with flannel sheets and cuddle by the fire with your significant other...or your puppy.

Hot weather to me (anything above 85, depending on humidity) is absolutely awful. Only so many clothes to take off. My wife knows when I've had enough of summer when I begin closing the curtains, crank up the a/c, pull out a blanket and watch Christmas movies.

PS: yes, I live in Minnesota...the coldest weather I've been in while living here is -40 with the windchill, which was tooooo cold for me. I can handle/enjoy up to -25 and then it's time to stay inside!
Man I have been preaching that to my wife for years now. I finally put my foot down and said I am leaving back to the north and the COLD when she graduates from her doctoral program, with or without her. I don't care how much money she makes, I made my decision and am sticking to it. She was bickering with me at first over it, then I told her to get divorce papers so I could sign them and move by myself... later she told me "I'll go wherever you go, I don't want to live without you".

I got plans. Going to get a house in the woods, get a new snow mobile and snow blower for the driveway, new chains for the 4wd. I'm already buying my winter coats and boots etc. Ha! S-c-r-e-w Texas and its miserable heat!

Old 03-10-2007, 10:47 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,552,455 times
ok i'll be the outcast, i flat out hate cold i see no good about it in any way, shape or form.

have to wear tons of clothes, shake & shiver, snow & ice, your entire body hurts, it makes life 10 times more difficult.
forget about doing anything outside, and if you have to work out in it for 8 hrs just makes for pure misery.

i'm like an old bear, when it gets cool i get grumpy & it's time to hibernate.

i'll take heat any day over cold.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:16 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,360,863 times
I love the cold and can't wait to move to WI. I really love the fact that a lot of our less desirable creatures (well to me anyway) don't like it. I'll take a moose over a huge snake in my back garden any day!

Old 03-11-2007, 01:19 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
ok i'll be the outcast, i flat out hate cold i see no good about it in any way, shape or form.

have to wear tons of clothes, shake & shiver, snow & ice, your entire body hurts, it makes life 10 times more difficult.
forget about doing anything outside, and if you have to work out in it for 8 hrs just makes for pure misery.

i'm like an old bear, when it gets cool i get grumpy & it's time to hibernate.

i'll take heat any day over cold.
Oh my god I've found yet ANOTHER cousin!!!
I get SOOOOOO aggravated when it's cold!
And it makes me sleep extra too - I can't get out of the bed because I finally built up some heat! I wish I could hibernate like a bear!
And I'm talking under 70!!! I REALLY don't like when it's under 80, and I MUCH prefer 90's and up...

So to the original poster, it's this simple: COLD SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the same question too believe me! I don't know how anyone can LIKE it COLD!!!!!!!
The ONLY explanation I can conceive of is that we all have different tolerences. For example, if I am actually hot (for some strange reason, or if I'm exercising heavily?) I can take a lower temp. But if I'm sweating, I cool off within 15 mins and am freezing!!!!!!!

So to those of you who like it cold: (sorry - don't mean to sabotage your thread! )
Is it that you are just not cold even when it's a very low temp, or do you actually enjoy BEING cold?!

For me, I don't really feel hot unless it's, well, HOT!!!
Like if I'm mowing in the beating midday summer sun in 90+ degrees, I'll sweat, thus cooling me off. I never feel "hot" for long.
But when I do, I actually LIKE it!!!

Like the feeling of a space heater blowing right on your bare skin - you know how that "burns"? I like that! ?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather