Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 01:34 PM

584 posts, read 1,688,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtbell View Post
Snowbird,
I so wish I could! Unfortunately I'm stuck where I am until the winter of 2013 at which point I will be so very happily moving back up to Fairbanks Alaska.
Well, you are "lucky" to live in the States where there are different climate zones to choose from, but you chose Alaska !?

Let's use Canada to make a comparison. Most Canadians would pick "warmer" places (Toronto, Vancouver, southern Ontario ...) if given the choice or if they make an effort to move; They do not like to live up North such as Thompson Manitoba, bloody cold there !

Well enough said, it's a choice between balmy weather and polar bear, and I am not fooling myself b/c I will choose balmy weather, given the choice !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM

97 posts, read 147,640 times
Actually I've lived so far in the following states:
California, Maryland, Hawaii, Tennessee, Kansas, New York, and Alaska.
Hands down Alaska won both hubby and I over. But then we both like snow, full gorgeous winters with lots of snow, gorgeous summers with temps no higher than 75 to 80, pine trees.

Upstate NY wasn't bad but the only thing we really liked about it up there was that the winters are awesome and it was so close to Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City and of course my family is up there.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Actually I've lived so far in the following states:
California, Maryland, Hawaii, Tennessee, Kansas, New York, and Alaska.
Hands down Alaska won both hubby and I over. But then we both like snow, full gorgeous winters with lots of snow, gorgeous summers with temps no higher than 75 to 80, pine trees.

Upstate NY wasn't bad but the only thing we really liked about it up there was that the winters are awesome and it was so close to Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City and of course my family is up there.
Well, in that case, if you moved back to Alaska it would be very costly to visit your family.

If you don't like Florida's hot climate, then some subtropical zone might be suitable for you, some has snow some doesn't.

If you really like snow, upstate NY might be a good choice. Area South and East of lake Ontario in upstate NY has lots of snow.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Also, if you could stay in Canada, London Ontario has tons of snow compared to Toronto.

London Ontario gets lots of lake effect snow, you will have lots of fun to shovel snow.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:04 PM

97 posts, read 147,640 times
LOL Actually my Mom & Dad just moved to Oregon and they're the fam I would probably visit. We're in tight with Alaska air.
As for the cost, well the military owes us one last move when we retire. Plus hubby is looking to get a DOD job up there. I already have a job up there promised to me as my old boss wants me back.
Another plus, we own a house up there so we want to keep an eye on it.
Lastly, few places have called to my husband & I like Alaska has.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:10 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
I was saying our genetic make up, human survive without clothing in tropical zone but will not survive at even 32F, let alone -20F or lower.

Human beings migrated and adopted colder zone because the extra clothing we put on, it doesn't mean our genetic make up allow us to survive for even 5 minutes at -20F.
We've also developed modern medical care and agriculture. I'm happy to take advantage of technology.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:21 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,108 times
This thread reminds me of how angry I was during the summer when I lived down South.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 PM

Well, summer in Toronto is nicer than summer in Florida, that's for sure ! But the trade off is the bloody cold winter in Canada. Toronto is already the warmest big city East of the Rockies.

So, if I was to choose between South Florida and Toronto, I would pick South Florida and live there year round. But in my case, I could only live in the US for 6 months max, so South FL winter is perfect for me.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
LOL Actually my Mom & Dad just moved to Oregon and they're the fam I would probably visit. We're in tight with Alaska air.
As for the cost, well the military owes us one last move when we retire. Plus hubby is looking to get a DOD job up there. I already have a job up there promised to me as my old boss wants me back.
Another plus, we own a house up there so we want to keep an eye on it.
Lastly, few places have called to my husband & I like Alaska has.
I think you might like WA as it is cool year round, but not too much snow though.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
Well, summer in Toronto is nicer than summer in Florida, that's for sure !
Hell is nicer than summer in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather