Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 04:32 PM

45 posts, read 100,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I imagine that winters here will be much more humid than in Tennessee since we're right by the ocean. I find that a 20°F temperature here feels much worse than a 20°F temperature in an inland location because of the high humidity and dampness. It really chills me to my bones.
humidity has nothing to do with windchill factor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,713,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequeño View Post
humidity has nothing to do with windchill factor
I never said anything about windchill factor.. thats' on top of the humidity which makes it feel even worse

Old 10-17-2011, 08:16 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I never said anything about windchill factor.. thats' on top of the humidity which makes it feel even worse
That's what my girlfriend in England says too. Winter there is so damp, that 40°F feels like 32°F in Pennsylvania.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:08 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
I found 19 F in Colorado to be more comfortable than a damp 35 F here in New Jersey. A cold dampness (though I like such weather) can chill you to the bone sometimes.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:35 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,989,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Why do people have such an aversion to cold weather? I love, love, love cold weather. My feeling is, you can always put more clothes on to stay warm, sleep with flannel sheets and cuddle by the fire with your significant other...or your puppy.

Hot weather to me (anything above 85, depending on humidity) is absolutely awful. Only so many clothes to take off. My wife knows when I've had enough of summer when I begin closing the curtains, crank up the a/c, pull out a blanket and watch Christmas movies.

So what is it about cold weather that bothers people?

PS: yes, I live in Minnesota...the coldest weather I've been in while living here is -40 with the windchill, which was tooooo cold for me. I can handle/enjoy up to -25 and then it's time to stay inside!
I live in Minnesota, too.

Why do I dislike cold weather?

*Because it is inconvenient. Going out of doors is an exercise in putting on a jacket, gloves, a hat. Boots, sometimes. Coming indoors is an exercise of kicking off footwear covered with some amount of snow/slush (only rarely is it cold without precipitation on the ground) and the mess it leaves on the floor. I love being able to just stroll out the door as I am.

*Because the air conditioner makes the car tolerable much faster than does the heater. And scraping windows is a hassle. Furthermore, shoveling is a hassle. And the heat never causes high-stress travel along snowy/icy roads. Again, the snow comes along with the cold.

*Because I spend a lot of time outdoors, in nature. I like being close to it, feeling the sun and wind on my bare skin, not putting layer after layer between myself and the air. When I'm outdoors, I enjoy absorbing the natural world. When it is warm, I can observe far more. When it is cold, some mammals are hibernating or inactive, some birds are gone south for the winter, reptiles and amphibians are tucked away below ground, the fish are hidden below a layer of ice, insects gone. Deciduous trees are bare and inactive, as are shrubs, flowers and grasses dead until spring. The land itself is tucked away and hidden under snow.

*Because high heat/humidity is energy-sapping. Low cold/wind is painful. I prefer feeling listless to being in pain.

*Because the green of life and the blue of skies is preferable to the monochrome of winter, with that low featureless could layer, and the beautiful puffy white clouds in a sea of blue gone until April.

When I say 'cold', that doesn't include temperatures above freezing. Cool autumn days and nights are just fine by me-- spoiled only by being reminders of the long dark winter inevitably to follow.

And it is worth noting that Minnesota really doesn't get that hot/humid. Though I prefer drier air, I much prefer our summers to southern summers. I wouldn't trade the Minnesota Climate for any climate of the South. But the warmer, drier climates of the west will draw me eventually.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:12 PM

91 posts, read 132,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
ok i'll be the outcast, i flat out hate cold i see no good about it in any way, shape or form.

have to wear tons of clothes, shake & shiver, snow & ice, your entire body hurts, it makes life 10 times more difficult.
forget about doing anything outside, and if you have to work out in it for 8 hrs just makes for pure misery.

i'm like an old bear, when it gets cool i get grumpy & it's time to hibernate.

i'll take heat any day over cold.
I hear you. Living in COLDorado has made me really tired of the cold.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:25 PM

97 posts, read 147,735 times
Default Okay, I'll say it

I LOVE THE COLD!

Now, that being said, I don't perpetually STAY cold. People who touch me whether by accident or just shaking my hand find I'm always extremely hot to the touch. Hubby says I have a furnace continually burning.
I used to live in Alaska and then Northern NY before this, now I live in Maryland and I'm so waiting anxiously for us to return back to the climate I love.
It's too friggin hot here!

That all being said, my hands are as hot as a stove right now and I've got my tiny desk fan turned on because the office I work in is filled with heat loving individuals.
I wish they (scientists or doctors) could figure out a way of turning off this ability to stay warm easily/stay hot easily.
Here in Maryland its a curse!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:28 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I found 19 F in Colorado to be more comfortable than a damp 35 F here in New Jersey. A cold dampness (though I like such weather) can chill you to the bone sometimes.
True. While Buenos Aires rarely gets temp less than 40f, there are days in winter with high humidity that are so DAMPY (if that word means exactly what i think) that it feels like its 20f or something.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:29 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
Because it's cold. Shoveling. Clearing off the car. getting stranded in the house. Then again it's good reason for practicing baby making.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:01 PM

97 posts, read 147,735 times
Good point Caltovegas!!! Cold weather is awesome for snuggling and a bit of adult fun! Nothing better than cuddling under warm blankets on a cold night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather