Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 10:05 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Going on your location, it looks like we both escaped to warmer climes.
Yup, I'm in sunny SW Oz.

Your climate is much warmer,
but mine's got a great coastline, low population density, relaxed pace of life and a lot of natural beauty
so I'm equally happy here, if not happier than if I was living in Egypt.

I told people before, I like heat and hate cold so much, I'd pick Baghdad's weather over Canada's, if they were my only options.
Cairo's desert heat is pretty mild for the Middle East if I recall correctly, most of your summer is in the high 30's C?

Maybe we should discuss this more over Private Messages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Probably helps that we're used to paying for indoor heating 8-10 months a year.
The idea of not needing heating or even needing cooling for more than a few weeks is a novelty for us.
I can certainly appreciate this. In Tennessee I'd have the heat on from November through March (although there would usually be some warm days in March), and the AC would be on from Late April (or earlier) through half of October. There would usually only be a scant few weeks when I wouldn't need either. I've been here almost two and a half months now, and there is no AC and so far I haven't had to use the heat yet. My first electric bill was $22.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:13 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I can certainly appreciate this. In Tennessee I'd have the heat on from November through March (although there would usually be some warm days in March), and the AC would be on from Late April (or earlier) through half of October. There would usually only be a scant few weeks when I wouldn't need either. I've been here almost two and a half months now, and there is no AC and so far I haven't had to use the heat yet. My first electric bill was $22.
when i lived in a 1 ambient appartment, I spent 6 years only using the heat (stoufe) a couple of days per winter (maybe 15 days or so) and, eventhough i used the ventilator for like 5 months every single day, i spent almost NOTHING on bills (like 20 pesos every two months or so). Of course air vent uses much less electriciy than an air conditioning. Im moving soon and im going to buy an A/C (decided cant stand summers withouth it) but i dont think i will spend that much since here in BA you dont spend much in heating, and, aside for the summer months, you dont need to use stoufe or A/C for like 7 months a year. Good thing about the temperate weathers!!

Old 10-12-2011, 11:48 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,422,619 times
Cold weather, and why I don't like it.

-My nose runs
-It creates a "stingy" feeling on my face, hands, feet etc...
-Frost and ice is slippery
-I have to wear lots of extra clothes like coats, hats, gloves, scarves and it feels uncomfortable and takes up time and makes moving about more clumsy
-As someone with low blood pressure my hands and feet will get cold and take ages to heat up again
-My head feels like an icy poker has been rammed into it
-It feels, well, cold
-There is an absence of warmth
-It feels uncomfortable
-It means heating is required, so the elec bill is higher
-It makes me wee more
-It makes me hungry
-It makes me angry
-It makes me dizzy
-It makes my body temperature get lower

To prioritize all the thing's I'd like in a climate, this:

Warmth first
then, sunshine, to make it even warmer
then, a bit of humidity
then, a tonne of evening thunderstorms with a quick downpour to keep things fresh.

Then, repeat that every day.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
I'm a bit surprised one would have the A/C on for the whole month of May in Tennessee.

You used to live near Nashville? I checked the May average for Nashville and found it was 67°F (77.5/56.7). Did you find 67°F too hot for you? I'm a bit puzzled why people turn on A/C in weather that cool. In my experience, a house is usually a few degrees warmer than the mean outside temperature, even closer if you open all windows and air it out overnight.

Last September our monthly average was 66°F, it was rather humid, and there only a few days when my room on the warm side.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm a bit surprised one would have the A/C on for the whole month of May in Tennessee.

You used to live near Nashville? I checked the May average for Nashville and found it was 67°F (77.5/56.7). Did you find 67°F too hot for you? I'm a bit puzzled why people turn on A/C in weather that cool. In my experience, a house is usually a few degrees warmer than the mean outside temperature, even closer if you open all windows and air it out overnight.

Last September our monthly average was 66°F, it was rather humid, and there only a few days when my room on the warm side.
I'd have the AC on because of that average 77.5 degree high. Most of the day would not be 67. And often times it would be well into the 80s in May. The longest I was ever able to delay turning on the AC was April 30th, and by then it was about 80 degrees in the house, which is just above what I can tolerate. I can stand 76 degrees in the house, but I don't like it. Much over that and I'm pretty uncomfortable, and a few 80+ degree days were all it would take to make the house too warm. In the winter I'd keep the heat set at about 64 and that's when I was most comfortable.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
I'd have the AC on because of that average 77.5 degree high. Most of the day would not be 67. And often times it would be well into the 80s in May. The longest I was ever able to delay turning on the AC was April 30th, and by then it was about 80 degrees in the house, which is just above what I can tolerate. I can stand 76 degrees in the house, but I don't like it. Much over that and I'm pretty uncomfortable, and a few 80+ degree days were all it would take to make the house too warm. In the winter I'd keep the heat set at about 64 and that's when I was most comfortable.
Odd. Sounds like your place heats up really fast. Our average high last month was 76°F, but very few times was the apartment above 76°F (I remember seeing the thermometer reading 74°F inside when it was in the mid 80s outside) . I barely even used a fan last month. By the time the apartment got close to the mid 70s, it would be night time and it would cool off again, so indoors would usually be slightly warmer than the mean daily temperature most of the time. I wouldn't mind 80°F inside but I can see why other people would.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:11 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Why lots of people don't like cold weather...

HER: "Because, like, I can't get a tan, you know, and I can't show off my sexy body in a bikini either!"

HIM: "Because ******* and hoes got all they clothes on when it's cold!"

Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Odd. Sounds like your place heats up really fast. Our average high last month was 76°F, but very few times was the apartment above 76°F (I remember seeing the thermometer reading 74°F inside when it was in the mid 80s outside) . I barely even used a fan last month. By the time the apartment got close to the mid 70s, it would be night time and it would cool off again, so indoors would usually be slightly warmer than the mean daily temperature most of the time. I wouldn't mind 80°F inside but I can see why other people would.
The house I lived in there would heat up quickly but wouldn't cool off easily unless the night time low was quite low. It might reach 85 outside and 80 indoors one afternoon, then by the next morning the thermostat would read 73-74 (without ac) but it may have gotten down in the 50s outside during the night. 74 I could easily tolerate, but for most of the night when I'd be trying to go to sleep it would still be closer to 80. Then that 73-74 would easily warm up to 80 or even more the next day, and so on. If we got a couple of unusually cool days it wouldn't be enough to cool the house down much, and I'm sure the fact that the front of the house faced West and the hot evening sun beamed right at it didn't help much. So I would finally just give up and turn on the AC. The odd thing is, when the weather would start turning cooler the house seemed to cool off very rapidly, necessitating use of the heat earlier than I would have liked, too. As stubborn as it seemed in cooling down in the Spring, you'd think it would retain heat a little better in the Fall. But no! And my heating bills would be pretty high in the winter. On some really cold nights I don't think the heating unit would ever go off, and likewise on really hot days (and sometimes nights!) the unit just seemed to keep going on and on. The unit was right beside my bedroom, so at night I could hear it easily. Sometimes late at night in the Summer I'd hear it finally shut off, and then come right back on again just a few minutes later. And keep in mind the entire HVAC system was brand new! Also, this house was actually cooler than the townhouse I rented before it. That place was so hard to cool.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
bek as people age their ability to adjust metabolism to cold fails, in my case at 30.
signed
a chicago native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather