Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 01:09 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. I think I got it right. Some computer programs and calculators expected the angle in radians into the sine function. Any chance that's the issue?
Cool... I think I got it right finally. I still didn't get -1.1 for Torshavn but I got close with 0.3.. close enough I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Oh I'm the same way, as long as we're talking about being indoors. Outdoors for whatever reason I can be comfortable wearing short sleeves down to at least 60, and that's assuming very little physical activity. If the sun's out I might even get too warm. I guess it's normal, but I always feel warmer outdoors than indoors at the same temperature. If the sun's out then it's obvious why, but otherwise I assume it's due to being physically active outdoors, even if it's just a little walking.
I'm finding that I'm needing a jacket since the end of September.. I'm too cold to go outside these days without it. Before that I usually wear long sleeves most of the summer here.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:23 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Of course annual ranges at different stations can often be greatly impacted – or give false climate impressions – when they favored (or unfavored) by geography, creating a seasonal extreme . These seasonal isoanomiles can really throw off the index of continentality: A location might have a very cold winter (maybe a highland station) or a very hot summer (maybe a low land desert climate), but the other 8/9 months have average temps for its latitude. Death Valley at 36 north it has fairly typical winter, spring, and late fall temps for its latitude – but the 125 F summer highs throw off the annual range, and thus its index of continentality. So the system, while interesting, has it flaws it seems.
I don't think Death Valley is unusually warm in just the summer, it's warmer in all seasons except winter, with summer being the strongest. Its seasonal range is bigger, so I think it deserves the more continental label.

Last edited by nei; 10-15-2011 at 12:04 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 10:59 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'm finding that I'm needing a jacket since the end of September.. I'm too cold to go outside these days without it. Before that I usually wear long sleeves most of the summer here.
I think Vancouver's a little chillier than Bellingham, but still pretty comparable. But back in August I'd occasionally see people here wearing hoodies or other long sleeved articles of clothing, and I'd be fairly warm in just a tshirt. One warm afternoon I was walking along, sweating quite a bit in the direct sunlight, and I walked past a woman wearing a hooded sweater with the hood up, drawn tightly, and with her arms crossed like she was freezing. If I had been dressed like that the sweater would have been ruined from all the sweat!

I haven't started needing a jacket until recently, and even then I'll have to remove it if I walk very long. Yesterday I visited Seattle and took a jacket, and most of the day I just had to carry it because it was too warm. And last night when I got back I walked home from the train station (about a mile) wearing the jacket because by then it was a bit chilly (high 40s I think), and by the time I got home I was a little warm. Not warm enough to bother removing it, but definitely not chilly or neutral. I guess I'll know for sure after my first winter, but my biggest worry right now is that I won't like winters here, not because they're too wet and cloudy but because they're too warm. But that may not be the case at all and I'll just have to wait and see.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I think Vancouver's a little chillier than Bellingham, but still pretty comparable. But back in August I'd occasionally see people here wearing hoodies or other long sleeved articles of clothing, and I'd be fairly warm in just a tshirt. One warm afternoon I was walking along, sweating quite a bit in the direct sunlight, and I walked past a woman wearing a hooded sweater with the hood up, drawn tightly, and with her arms crossed like she was freezing. If I had been dressed like that the sweater would have been ruined from all the sweat!

I haven't started needing a jacket until recently, and even then I'll have to remove it if I walk very long. Yesterday I visited Seattle and took a jacket, and most of the day I just had to carry it because it was too warm. And last night when I got back I walked home from the train station (about a mile) wearing the jacket because by then it was a bit chilly (high 40s I think), and by the time I got home I was a little warm. Not warm enough to bother removing it, but definitely not chilly or neutral. I guess I'll know for sure after my first winter, but my biggest worry right now is that I won't like winters here, not because they're too wet and cloudy but because they're too warm. But that may not be the case at all and I'll just have to wait and see.
Well if you like snowy winters you definitely won't enjoy it because we usually only get 1 or 2 snowfalls every winter and sometimes it doesn't even accumulate. There are exceptions like the winter of 2008-2009 for example when snow cover lasted almost a month but generally we don't have much snow here. So generally speaking, unless you want to go to the mountains, it's not the place to be to play in the snow that's for sure.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:38 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
fwiw guys, Buenos Aires is NOT in the coast like you are saying. Its in the coast of Río de La Plata (that will eventually converge with the ocean but like 100 miles southern), if you cross it, there is Uruguay. BA does not have an ocean or a view to the ocean or the refreshness the ocean gives to the weather.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Well if you like snowy winters you definitely won't enjoy it because we usually only get 1 or 2 snowfalls every winter and sometimes it doesn't even accumulate. There are exceptions like the winter of 2008-2009 for example when snow cover lasted almost a month but generally we don't have much snow here. So generally speaking, unless you want to go to the mountains, it's not the place to be to play in the snow that's for sure.
I like snow but it's not really necessary, and I think a lot of snow would be inconvenient. I'm more referring to just the temperatures in general. The average daytime highs are similar to where I'm from (TN) but overnight lows are warmer. And in Tennessee during winter you may have a couple of days in the 60s, and then just a few days later it may be snowing and in the 20s. Where I'm from in TN only averages about 4-5 inches of snow every year which I'm guessing is no more than Bellingham, but I always liked those occasional days when I'd wake up in the morning and it would be 10 or 15 degrees outside, and maybe the high for the day would only be in the 20s (snow or not). That wasn't typical winter weather there of course, but it happened usually several times each winter. But I don't know how common that is here. It looks like night time lows here average a good 10 degrees warmer in January, but the afternoon highs are similar. On the other hand, the higher humidity in winter may make it feel colder to me. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
fwiw guys, Buenos Aires is NOT in the coast like you are saying. Its in the coast of Río de La Plata (that will eventually converge with the ocean but like 100 miles southern), if you cross it, there is Uruguay. BA does not have an ocean or a view to the ocean or the refreshness the ocean gives to the weather.
I knew that. BA sounds like much of the state of Delaware then. Most of it is the Delaware River the turns into Delaware Bay but the ocean is in Sussex County, not Kent or New Castle Counties.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I like snow but it's not really necessary, and I think a lot of snow would be inconvenient. I'm more referring to just the temperatures in general. The average daytime highs are similar to where I'm from (TN) but overnight lows are warmer. And in Tennessee during winter you may have a couple of days in the 60s, and then just a few days later it may be snowing and in the 20s. Where I'm from in TN only averages about 4-5 inches of snow every year which I'm guessing is no more than Bellingham, but I always liked those occasional days when I'd wake up in the morning and it would be 10 or 15 degrees outside, and maybe the high for the day would only be in the 20s (snow or not). That wasn't typical winter weather there of course, but it happened usually several times each winter. But I don't know how common that is here. It looks like night time lows here average a good 10 degrees warmer in January, but the afternoon highs are similar. On the other hand, the higher humidity in winter may make it feel colder to me. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
I imagine that winters here will be much more humid than in Tennessee since we're right by the ocean. I find that a 20°F temperature here feels much worse than a 20°F temperature in an inland location because of the high humidity and dampness. It really chills me to my bones.
We usually get a couple of days every winter where the temperature never rises above freezing during the day but it's certainly not very common. When it does snow here, the snow tends to be very heavy and wet and usually turn to ice which is really bad for driving and getting around generally. We definitely don't get any 60+°F temps at any point during the winter. I think the record high for January and February is only about that. So, it would have to be an extremely exceptional warm spell for that.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:22 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
I hate the cold. That, combined with the short daylight hours, make me depressed. The cold hurts. I hate wearing long sleeves and heavy coats and gloves. I hate shoveling snow, driving in snow, and even looking at it. The trees are bare and the ground is colorless. I guess that overall, I find it to be confining and claustrophobic! Like I'm trapped in the house.

Luckily we do get days here in Denver throughout the Winter where it's pleasant to be outside with a light jacket, but I still dread it every year. If we weren't in such a great place to raise our kids, I'd rather live in San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather