Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 12:45 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Tired of panhandlers at McDonalds. There is no way to tell for sure, but I doubt someone actually homeless would be concerned if I was on my way to church or not. Sounds a bit like a guilt trip if you ask me. And this person was very mean, cussing me out as I left.
We were in KFC and there was one in and she couldn't understand us or us either. She was like a foreigner. It was awful!!

My mum blamed our accents but the girl came over and said it was normal!

Old 05-04-2014, 12:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Panhandlers are everywhere here. People come here, pretend to be homeless, and rake in a lot of money by begging on the streets.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:06 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Vancouver has a very high number of panhandlers for a city of its size. I once had one come into a coffee shop and sat down at my table and asked me if I was going to finish my brownie. Another friend of mine said she was at a food court in a mall eating lunch and a homeless man sat down at her table and without saying a word just started eating her food.... It's crazy here!

Old 05-04-2014, 01:12 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Vancouver has a very high number of panhandlers for a city of its size. I once had one come into a coffee shop and sat down at my table and asked me if I was going to finish my brownie. Another friend of mine said she was at a food court in a mall eating lunch and a homeless man sat down at her table and without saying a word just started eating her food.... It's crazy here!
Wow, I've never seen it here, not even in Auckland.

Plenty of buskers, but they earn their money.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:22 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
That's crazy!

I noticed a lot panhandlers in Washington DC.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
We get all the wanderers from the rest of the country, especially groups of young people that come for the summer to hang out. Most are harmless and don't bother people. I've never heard or seen the experiences you described though.

I remember a time when Vancouver had practically no panhandlers, and the ones that existed stayed mainly in the DTES.
They started drifting west in the late 1970's, early '80's. I remember the first time I saw a panhandler on Robson street. They actually apologized for being there and said they were trying to do a little higher class panhandling. LOL
The worse was just over 10 or so years ago when many of them moved into the west end. It's much better now.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:47 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
We get all the wanderers from the rest of the country, especially groups of young people that come for the summer to hang out. Most are harmless and don't bother people. I've never heard or seen the experiences you described though.

I remember a time when Vancouver had practically no panhandlers, and the ones that existed stayed mainly in the DTES.
They started drifting west in the late 1970's, early '80's. I remember the first time I saw a panhandler on Robson street. They actually apologized for being there and said they were trying to do a little higher class panhandling. LOL
The worse was just over 10 or so years ago when many of them moved into the west end. It's much better now.
Yes Vancouver certainly attracts homeless and transients from the rest of Canada due to the much milder climate. Certainly the experiences I describe are not common but they have happened before. The brownie incident for me happened about 10 years ago so not recently. I'm not sure how long ago my friends story happened but probably within the same timeframe. You are right in that most panhandlers are harmless but you get the odd one who isn't and is most likely high on drugs and may have wandered from the DTES

Old 05-04-2014, 02:21 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Wow, I've never seen it here, not even in Auckland.

Plenty of buskers, but they earn their money.
You are lucky then!

How much crime is there there?

Old 05-04-2014, 02:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Yes Vancouver certainly attracts homeless and transients from the rest of Canada due to the much milder climate. Certainly the experiences I describe are not common but they have happened before. The brownie incident for me happened about 10 years ago so not recently. I'm not sure how long ago my friends story happened but probably within the same timeframe. You are right in that most panhandlers are harmless but you get the odd one who isn't and is most likely high on drugs and may have wandered from the DTES
Yes, there is the odd one that looks a bit crazed and it is usually because of drugs. I steer clear if I see them. I think though it's extremely rare that one causes harm. There was the Tim Horton's incident a few weeks back that would of made me feel quite uncomfortable. Chairs through the windows.
It wasn't reported though, if he was on drugs or just mentally ill.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Funny how you can't walk but yet you can think to order a meal... Hmmm...
Once I was walking back from a party in undergrad. It was an area most weren't too familiar with, so people were puzzled on how to get back. I started giving directions and I must have been obviously staggering. My friend didn't believe my directions, "you can't walk straight! And you know where you're going?! Me: "just because I can't walk straight doesn't mean I don't know where I'm going".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather