Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 01:15 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Probably true. I hold out some vain hope that there exists a Shangri-La microclimate somewhere in the Marlborough-Tasman region (or maybe Hawke's Bay / Bay of Plenty) that might suit my needs, but this seems highly unlikely. Hopefully at some stage in the not-too-distant future I will leave CLOUDchurch (AKA COLDchurch) for either Perth or Brisbane and never look back.

The forecast is horrible for the next three days. Wall-to-wall cloudy drizzle and we'll be lucky if the temp exceeds 20 C. We've had a very gloomy start to December, averaging only about six hours of sun per day. Hopefully this will change in the latter half of the month.
You won't get more than about 2475 hrs average anywhere in Nelson-Marlborough - enough sites have been used over the years to affirm this. Hawkes Bay-BOP are warmer, but less sunny.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Be glad you don't live in Vancouver... we've had maybe 10 hours of sunshine in the past week if that. Granted, it's winter here but it's still not very good.
Christchurch's climate is definitely not that bad compared to a lot of other places including Vancouver
You're quite warm for the latitude though.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:51 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
You won't get more than about 2475 hrs average anywhere in Nelson-Marlborough - enough sites have been used over the years to affirm this. Hawkes Bay-BOP are warmer, but less sunny.
What about Three Kings Island?

Although at that point I may as well just go to Australia.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:22 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Crappy day 45F, and I have jury duty.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:39 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
You're quite warm for the latitude though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Be glad you don't live in Vancouver... we've had maybe 10 hours of sunshine in the past week if that. Granted, it's winter here but it's still not very good.
Christchurch's climate is definitely not that bad compared to a lot of other places including Vancouver
I wonder why so many Canadians claim to like or would like to live in Vancouver for its climate?

I guess some (most?) are more put off by cold than the dreary rain and darkness?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:17 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
So nice to know that there are some utter saddos on the internet with nothing better to do than spam someone's Youtube Account!!!

An intelligent comment from a dickwad called "ccccrsraasfsdf":

" jeawertyuiopiknd fser465g76b tr3eu5rninuyvte56 iunybtrvere uy "

a retard with no videos of his (or "its") own, and a history of spamming many other channels. Not whining about it, I guess I just love exposing retards, because it's fun, and gives me a reason to complain about something.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I SOOO just cracked up and laughed my ass off when this little piece of **** posted this on my page

"YOU ARE CORRUPT YOU FAT WHALE! I WILL BEAT YOUR ASS! "

I mean sheesh, I am one of the skinniest people you will ever meet. To that end, how in the hell is he gonna "beat my ass" on the internet. Oh my, I love playing with tards. Good entertainment.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 12-13-2010 at 09:45 AM..

Old 12-13-2010, 10:09 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I wonder why so many Canadians claim to like or would like to live in Vancouver for its climate?

I guess some (most?) are more put off by cold than the dreary rain and darkness?
I guess it depends on what people want. -30 F with sunshine or a rainy 40 F? I would assume even most of the sun lovers on this board would prefer the latter, but they can speak for themselves.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I guess it depends on what people want. -30 F with sunshine or a rainy 40 F? I would assume even most of the sun lovers on this board would prefer the latter, but they can speak for themselves.
Even though I'm more used to a more Vancouver-style winter I have experienced a week of Prairie-style winter conditions in Germany with lying snow and mostly sunny skies with temperatures between -5 and about -20C. The sunny days didn't feel that bad wearing so many layers and the chance to see things like rivers and waterfalls frozen solid for the first time in my life, but as soon as the sun sets, or there's even a breath of wind...even wearing a million layers it felt dangerously cold waiting outside for a tram for 15 minutes in the middle of the night when it was -16C (3F) and the wind blowing right in my face - I had to turn my back to it and face the wrong direction. I couldn't put up with month after month of that living somewhere like Winnipeg unless the city was designed so you never had to spend time outside, which wouldn't be my sort of thing anyway. And how awkward is it going to a heated shopping centre when you're dressed up for the Arctic!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:28 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Even though I'm more used to a more Vancouver-style winter I have experienced a week of Prairie-style winter conditions in Germany with lying snow and mostly sunny skies with temperatures between -5 and about -20C. The sunny days didn't feel that bad wearing so many layers and the chance to see things like rivers and waterfalls frozen solid for the first time in my life, but as soon as the sun sets, or there's even a breath of wind...even wearing a million layers it felt dangerously cold waiting outside for a tram for 15 minutes in the middle of the night when it was -16C (3F) and the wind blowing right in my face - I had to turn my back to it and face the wrong direction. I couldn't put up with month after month of that living somewhere like Winnipeg unless the city was designed so you never had to spend time outside, which wouldn't be my sort of thing anyway. And how awkward is it going to a heated shopping centre when you're dressed up for the Arctic!
Was that during a cold snap when you were in Germany, or a location at higher altitude? From the stats I've seen, Germany (at least at low elevations) seems to average just around freezing in the winter.

Regarding the choice between cold and sunny vs. cloudy and mild, for some with SAD, I guess seeing sunshine through windows might make a difference to affect the mood, even if they don't go outside that often.

I'd probably not prefer due to the amount of cold, the sunnier climates of the prairies over Vancouver personally, but at the same time, on account of climate alone, I'd not especially want to prefer Vancouver's or the British Isles' gloomier but milder climate over Toronto's (especially considering the shortness and mildness of the summer). On the other hand, I've even heard a few from the Prairie provinces say Toronto's winters are too cloudy and gloomy.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:04 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Was that during a cold snap when you were in Germany, or a location at higher altitude? From the stats I've seen, Germany (at least at low elevations) seems to average just around freezing in the winter.

Regarding the choice between cold and sunny vs. cloudy and mild, for some with SAD, I guess seeing sunshine through windows might make a difference to affect the mood, even if they don't go outside that often.

I'd probably not prefer due to the amount of cold, the sunnier climates of the prairies over Vancouver personally, but at the same time, on account of climate alone, I'd not especially want to prefer Vancouver's or the British Isles' gloomier but milder climate over Toronto's (especially considering the shortness and mildness of the summer). On the other hand, I've even heard a few from the Prairie provinces say Toronto's winters are too cloudy and gloomy.
That was a cold snap at only 150 metres asl. Most places in Germany fluctuate between about +6 and -6 in winter and it's often the boundary between mild Atlantic air and cold continental air, though not that wet. Some places in eastern Germany (where I was) average less than 500mm a year. I'll never forget the mid-afternoon I went into a shopping centre while it was -4C and snowing and came out 20 minutes later to crystal clear blue skies and -13C - completely impossible in my country. Unusually for the last 20 years, the last three winters have all had sudden changes to "sibirisch kalt" ('Siberian cold', as their weather forecasters call it) air where maxes below -10 and lows of -20 are possible away from the coast. I personally loved the climate over there, as with most things German. Four proper seasons with a few decent thunderstorms and 20-30 days of snow cover, but nothing too extreme apart from maybe a taste of it a few times a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather