Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 03:31 PM

10,412 posts, read 15,660,108 times

Advertisements

I could not live without wedding party , because they are like mini Vacations To Me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 03:58 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,263,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
1. Not everyone has these things;

2. Some people who do have these things...might simply enjoy them;

3. Of course there are greedy and entitled people. Sometimes they get married. Nothing new there. If these are the kind of friends you have, get better friends.

None of those indicate a necessity to "cover your plate".
I guess i meant that if a wedding were REALLY Just about two people spending the rest of their lives together there would be no frivolous things involved besides the ceremony. Bridal parties wouldnt be expected to lay out 500$+ for hair makeup, dresses, shoes, bachelorette party etc

Im just saying that if i only give 50$ as a wedding gift bc thats my budget, the bride and groom will most likely have something to say about it... Behind my back of course. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. Ive witnessed it first hand though. My friend got married and someone gave 50$ and she complained about it.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:22 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,556,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I guess i meant that if a wedding were REALLY Just about two people spending the rest of their lives together there would be no frivolous things involved besides the ceremony. Bridal parties wouldnt be expected to lay out 500$+ for hair makeup, dresses, shoes, bachelorette party etc

Im just saying thatif i only give 50$ as a wedding gift bc thats my budget, the bride and groom will most likely have something to say about it... Behind my back of course. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. Ive witnessed it first hand though. My friend got married and someone gave 50$ and she complained about it.
Again, get better friends. I've never ever heard any of my friends or family complain about the amount of a cash wedding gift.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Again, get better friends. I've never ever heard any of my friends or family complain about the amount of a cash wedding gift.
i guess ill just agree to disagree... i still think you are expected to give a larger gift if you bring a guest.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:56 AM

37,814 posts, read 46,358,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

Seems fairly reasonable to me:

$100 travel (gas, tolls, etc. and we'll completely ignore if you have to fly)
$200 hotel (2 nights if you have to travel out of town)
$100 gift ($200 if you bring someone else)
$100 miscellaneous (suit cleaning, spend on lunch outside that won't be covered in wedding plans, child care/pet care)

I really regret being invited to 5 weddings this year, but will end up feeling like a total d**che if I don't attend. Can't believe I'm going to blow over $1500 on stupid weddings this year.

Oh yeah, $500 for a wedding also assumes you're not even in the wedding party, to which you can add the expense of tux, bachelor party, etc.
No way would I spend that kind of money on a wedding unless it was my immediate family.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:57 AM

37,814 posts, read 46,358,582 times
Quote:
Exactly. That's just trashy.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:18 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,308,937 times
Quote:
Ehh arent you supposed to cover your plate? Im not saying you have to but inst that the standard/whats expected? So if you bring someone thats an extra plate to be covered. Im not saying i agree with this lol i think weddings are ridiculous in general, but i think the brideand groom expect people to at least cover their plates.
Just because the wedding couple decides to serve lobster AND steak at a sit down multiple course meal extravaganza at their wedding instead of a buffet with home made sandwiches why should I give a larger wedding present?

After all I probably sent the wedding gift weeks before the wedding so how would I even know what they are going to serve and how much it will cost?

Old 07-25-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Just because the wedding couple decides to serve lobster AND steak at a sit down multiple course meal extravaganza at their wedding instead of a buffet with home made sandwiches why should I give a larger wedding present?

After all I probably sent the wedding gift weeks before the wedding so how would I even know what they are going to serve and how much it will cost?
oh i don't know anyone who sends a gift weeks in advance. i'm used to everyone bringing a check to the actual wedding. i know bridal shower gifts are given in advance at the bridal shower obviously. i'm not shaying you should give anything, i'm saying what is expected by the bride and groom.

weddings around here are usually 100$-130$ per plate (NYC though). i could be wrong about all this. i've never had a wedding and never will. but seeing two of my best friends get married and just hearing things through the grapevine, most people expect a gift that covers the plate. but yeah, maybe they are just crappy people? i don't know lol.

and the two weddings i'm in later this year are costing me alot... probably will be at $2k after all is said and done. but i agreed to be in the party.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:38 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,308,937 times
Quote:
oh i don't know anyone who sends a gift weeks in advance. i'm used to everyone bringing a check to the actual wedding. i know bridal shower gifts are given in advance at the bridal shower obviously. i'm not shaying you should give anything, i'm saying what is expected by the bride and groom.

weddings around here are usually 100$-130$ per plate (NYC though). i could be wrong about all this. i've never had a wedding and never will. but seeing two of my best friends get married and just hearing things through the grapevine, most people expect a gift that covers the plate. but yeah, maybe they are just crappy people? i don't know lol.

and the two weddings i'm in later this year are costing me alot... probably will be at $2k after all is said and done. but i agreed to be in the party.

Everyone that I know sends a gift, off the gift registry, in advance. Even I write a check I normally send it in advance. What do you and your friends do? Eyeball how much food there is & the quality of the food and then decide how much to write the check?

Yes, maybe your friends are "just crappy people". Or maybe that is the expectation in NYC.

My son's wedding reception & dinner (4 years ago) cost something like $200 a person (it was a package deal so the food was not listed separately). He once mentioned in passing that most of the gifts were in the $75 to $100 range per couple, with a few at $50. He was also amazed, shocked and surprised that one couple gave him $200. So, he and his bride absolutely did not expect to get in gifts what they paid for the dinner.

BTW, the rehearsal dinner cost about $75 per person. Were we (the groom's parents) expecting to get $75 in gifts from everyone who attended (wedding attendants, minister & wife, extended family & out-of town guests)? Of course not, we weren't expecting anything but a good time.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Everyone that I know sends a gift, off the gift registry, in advance. Even I write a check I normally send it in advance. What do you and your friends do? Eyeball how much food there is & the quality of the food and then decide how much to write the check?

Yes, maybe your friends are "just crappy people". Or maybe that is the expectation in NYC.

My son's wedding reception & dinner (4 years ago) cost something like $200 a person (it was a package deal so the food was not listed separately). He once mentioned in passing that most of the gifts were in the $75 to $100 range per couple, with a few at $50. He was also amazed, shocked and surprised that one couple gave him $200. So, he and his bride absolutely did not expect to get in gifts what they paid for the dinner.

BTW, the rehearsal dinner cost about $75 per person. Were we (the groom's parents) expecting to get $75 in gifts from everyone who attended (wedding attendants, minister & wife, extended family & out-of town guests)? Of course not, we weren't expecting anything but a good time.
yeah who knows. i was just talking about my experiences, which are limited. only been to 4 weddings. so i don't know what other people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings