Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:23 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,941,017 times

Advertisements

Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs

Seems fairly reasonable to me:

$100 travel (gas, tolls, etc. and we'll completely ignore if you have to fly)
$200 hotel (2 nights if you have to travel out of town)
$100 gift ($200 if you bring someone else)
$100 miscellaneous (suit cleaning, spend on lunch outside that won't be covered in wedding plans, child care/pet care)

I really regret being invited to 5 weddings this year, but will end up feeling like a total d**che if I don't attend. Can't believe I'm going to blow over $1500 on stupid weddings this year.

Oh yeah, $500 for a wedding also assumes you're not even in the wedding party, to which you can add the expense of tux, bachelor party, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 02:56 PM

22,653 posts, read 47,843,952 times
Well worth it, to see family and friends, etc.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:14 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,901,804 times
Hope some soon to be marrieds see this, and take into account the sacrifice guests make to attend.

If you are in the wedding party the expenses can be quite high, especially if the bride expects you to throw a lavish shower etc.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM

7,010 posts, read 12,006,084 times
It depends on the class and relationship you have with the people involved in the wedding. I have been to a few weddings, due to part of my family being sort of redneck, where only the people involved in the wedding party wore suits, the rest of the guests wore a nice pair of slacks and button up shirt, ties were optional, and almost no one had a jacket or sport coat.

That's a lot of weddings to be invited to, but when people make wedding invitations they usually invite practically everyone they know. Unless it's a very close family member, friend, or close relative, I don't think they would be too stumped if you said you couldn't make it.

I'm so far removed from my family, over 800 miles in every direction that I don't get to attend a lot of the regular events. I wish I was closer though so I could be more involved in these events.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,418,424 times
We went to a wedding last year and had to drive 7 hours and then stayed on the island in a condo like place, then all the food, and nothing was cheap.

SO went to one about a year and a half ago and had to fly from Virginia to Oklahoma and had the hotel costs, etc for about 5 days.

He said when we get married he wants to get married far away so all the people who caused him to have to travel and spend so much money can get it back....funny

Old 05-08-2013, 07:28 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,674,855 times
I have 6 friends getting married this year and I'll probably be receiving invitations to 5 of their weddings. I probably won't go to any of them because I simply can't justify the expense of flying across the country for a few days. I mean, don't get me wrong...they're great people and all but I know for a fact at least 3 of them are only doing the big ceremony thing to get presents and whatnot. I'll see most of them over the Thanksgiving holiday when I go back home to visit so I'll say my congratulations then.

I will, however, go to my best friends two weddings next year and it will be a blasty blast!

If I ever get married, I won't be having a ceremony and *might* have a reception or two. I won't expect anyone to go out of their way for it nor will I demand presents or money.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 AM

11,826 posts, read 12,076,115 times
This was a topic on the morning show yesterday on Virgin Radio in Toronto. I only caught part of it but one girl is going to 8 weddings this year, 2 are destination weddings, and she's lowballed the cost at $6,000 so far, but likely higher with the destination expenses. Another guy is going to 13 weddings this year, in 2 of them, and he estimated his gift alone at $150 per wedding, not including all associated expenses with being part of the wedding parties.

It's not cheap on either side, either having the wedding or going to it, but I still think people should be grateful for those that can attend, not take it personally if your day isn't in someone's budget, and appreciate whatever they're given for a gift.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 AM

607 posts, read 1,218,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
This was a topic on the morning show yesterday on Virgin Radio in Toronto. I only caught part of it but one girl is going to 8 weddings this year, 2 are destination weddings, and she's lowballed the cost at $6,000 so far, but likely higher with the destination expenses. Another guy is going to 13 weddings this year, in 2 of them, and he estimated his gift alone at $150 per wedding, not including all associated expenses with being part of the wedding parties.

It's not cheap on either side, either having the wedding or going to it, but I still think people should be grateful for those that can attend, not take it personally if your day isn't in someone's budget, and appreciate whatever they're given for a gift.
Wow! I'd have to decline invitations for some of those. The most weddings I've been invited to in one year is 3. I went to all 3 but I only had to book a flight for one of them.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,431,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I really regret being invited to 5 weddings this year, but will end up feeling like a total d**che if I don't attend. Can't believe I'm going to blow over $1500 on stupid weddings this year.
If I found out that you were complaining because I invited you to my "stupid wedding", I would regret having included you. Why don't you just make up some "stupid" excuses and stay home? No need to feel like a D-bag at all.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,064,580 times
Ugh, they can be very expensive! Our best friends got married last year, and my fiance was the best man. It was incredible, how much it cost! April: shower, bachorelette & bachelor parties. May: Wedding: cost of gift, dress, tux rental, room.

The groom got my fiance a best man 'gift'...he bought us tickets for a cruise! Unfortunately, it left out of Florida, and the only thing he paid for was the tickets. The trip ended up costing us twice what he paid for the tickets.

This year, a friend of mine invited us to her wedding, but it was in key west. Sounded like fun, but after the cost of airfair, hotel, gift...we just couldn't do it again. I respectfully declined.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings