Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Well I think that if guests can afford it, they should roughly cover per person cost of the event and then leave a bit more for the actual gift. But then I only went to the weddings of the friends or family members who I've know for years and cared about. I would feel different if this was someone I know casually.

But I agree that it is absolutely tacky for the hosts to discuss the gifts they received and complain if someone did not pay enough...
I have to admit to being curious about this thought process. Please explain.

If you attend a dinner party, do you also bring a hostess gift/wine based on the amount you think the host has spent on your "plate" for the evening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:54 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Well I think that if guests can afford it, they should roughly cover per person cost of the event and then leave a bit more for the actual gift.
Why? And how do you even determine your guests' financial status? Do you also print the price of the reception on the invitation?

It is not the guests responsibility to pay for the event. What they choose to give IS the actual gift.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:07 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Well I think that if guests can afford it, they should roughly cover per person cost of the event and then leave a bit more for the actual gift. But then I only went to the weddings of the friends or family members who I've know for years and cared about. I would feel different if this was someone I know casually.

But I agree that it is absolutely tacky for the hosts to discuss the gifts they received and complain if someone did not pay enough...
First, how can possibly know how much they spent on the event? And, secondly, why should it effect how much you give if the bride and groom plan a platinum wedding?

Although, I bet that niece's wedding would have cost $100,000 (not just the food) in today's dollars for 100 people. I certainly do not think most couples should be expected to give a $2,000 plus wedding gift. Yikes!

Her brother's wedding probably cost about $20,000. Does that mean that his wedding gift should be $400 for a couple?

BTW, dividing the cost of the wedding by the number of guests is completely different than the cost per plate of food. Does that mean that I should give a bigger gift to the bride that buys a $10,000 wedding dress vs. one who wears her mother's wedding dress?

Old 07-29-2016, 11:12 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
First, how can possibly know how much they spent on the event? And, secondly, why should it effect how much you give if the bride and groom plan a platinum wedding?

Although, I bet that niece's wedding would have cost $100,000 (not just the food) in today's dollars for 100 people. I certainly do not think most couples should be expected to give a $2,000 plus wedding gift. Yikes!

Her brother's wedding probably cost about $20,000. Does that mean that his wedding gift should be $400 for a couple?

BTW, dividing the cost of the wedding by the number of guests is completely different than the cost per plate of food. Does that mean that I should give a bigger gift to the bride that buys a $10,000 wedding dress vs. one who wears her mother's wedding dress?
based on the venue

Old 07-29-2016, 12:39 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
based on the venue
The venue is only one part of the event.
There is the food, the booze, the band, the decorations, the flowers, the favors....

Old 07-29-2016, 12:45 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The venue is only one part of the event.
There is the food, the booze, the band, the decorations, the flowers, the favors....
true. but if someone has a backyard bbq or a small dinner party you know it's less expensive than a 150 person wedding at a large catering hall/venue.

i would still give the same sized gift though.... but for some reason i do feel the need to give extra if i bring a date because it's an extra person. but i understand the argument not to as well.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:43 PM

652 posts, read 681,198 times
Thank God I'm not good enough for my friends or whoever to invite me to their wedding. I will soon be 30yrs old and haven't been invited to any wedding yet

Old 08-14-2016, 05:44 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Seriously, I have always based what I give on what I can afford, and how well I know the couple.
I personally think that the huge, costly wedding trends of the last decades has gotten ridiculous.
I had a perfectly lovely church wedding and luncheon which cost approximately $2000 back in 1990, and that included my dress.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:48 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,522,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Seriously, I have always based what I give on what I can afford, and how well I know the couple.
I personally think that the huge, costly wedding trends of the last decades has gotten ridiculous.
I had a perfectly lovely church wedding and luncheon which cost approximately $2000 back in 1990, and that included my dress.
Yet more great advice from Jan

Old 08-28-2016, 07:02 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
I will be spending over $100 on childcare just to attend an upcoming wedding (no kids allowed at wedding). And I already spent $48 on the gift. So I won't be spending any thing more on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings