Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 07:06 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heakja View Post
Bale002, I'm considering this area as well for buying a holiday condo. What's the best location between Boca and Delray when it comes to closeness/access to a beach?
That is a very particular market, and I am not in it. But I can tell you what I do know.

First, you must be a resident of the municipality of Boca Raton in order to have access to beach parking without paying an exorbitant fee. If you are resident of an unincorporated part of Boca, then you have access to such parking at only one of its beach-access roads (don't remember which one).

In Delray Beach, you pay regular street parking rates, and you need a lot of quarters if you go before 6 pm.

In my opinion, the best beach access road is Linton Blvd, there is also Atlantic Avenue (very busy), and up further north, I believe, George Bush Blvd (sorry to have to write that, it's an embarassment) or thereabouts, but I've never used it.

Generally speaking, if you want to walk to the beach, you have to live on the east side of the intercoastal: there are long stretches off the west side of the intercoastal that are relatively far from beach access.

Condo fees for units on the east side of the intercoastal are very high, how much all depends but in the neighborhood of $1000 a month.

On the west side of Ocean Boulevard (A1A) there is low-rise housing, some of it far enough from the uglier high rises, but I really don't know the price ranges. I am just guessing the such housing in Delray Beach is a bit less expensive than in Highland Beach or Boca Raton.

I can tell you nothing about specific residential complexes. You need to communicate with a knowledgeable person or a knowledgeable and trustworthy real estate agent (rare to find such a professional).

Short of that, your best bet is to come and investigate for yourself and at the least interview some real estate agents.

My guess is that between now and 2010 is the best time to buy.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 08:21 AM

16 posts, read 43,514 times
Thanks for the useful information. I have a realtor, but I am trying to get a picture of the area before I go to south-florida (in some weeks)...plus I need to narrow my options down . I would really like to be close to the beach, though with some urban ammenties nearby - but its really hard to find something within my price range (max 200K) . I ve ruled out anything south of Ft.Lauderdale, Pompano Beach and Boyton Beach, based on info on this forum.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:33 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heakja View Post
I would really like to be close to the beach, though with some urban ammenities nearby - but it's really hard to find something within my price range (max 200K) ...
At that price, my guess is that you must go west of the intercoastal, and most likely you will have to drive or ride a bike to the beach, maybe a long walk in the cooler months (on the wide, from mid-October to mid-May), otherwise it is too hot, but you may be able to buy a place with even up to three bedrooms (one or two more likely), modest upgrades, if any.

But who knows, maybe at the price you can find a modest studio or one bedroom east of the intercoastal somewhere in Delray Beach, Highland Beach, or Boca Raton.

Good luck!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 PM

87 posts, read 379,318 times
I just moved from Delray. The downtown is fun. Art, Movies, good Restaurants, museums, and nature center. You might also like Hollywood, it's kinda funky. I have to tell you tho- In general, there are not a lot of young, younger type people in the general area of South Florida (excluding Miami)

Old 08-08-2008, 10:13 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir View Post
I have the opportunity to live very nicely and inexpensively in Boca Raton. I doubt it would be my first choice of places to live but I do want a warm climate and it might be a good way for me to move to the state of Florida.

My ideal kind of place would be like Santa Monica, CA. I live close to there now but it's just too expensive for me. Are there any communities close to Boca or in other parts of Florida that are kind of funky, artsy and liberal? I have all different kinds of friends (I don't limit myself to one particular type) but I'd probably be the most comfortable with a Santa Monica type of crowd. I'm middle-aged and not looking for the bar scene. Also, I'd be moving alone so making friends there is especially important.

One place comes in mind for you.... DELRAY BEACH.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 11,378 times
fishwiz and heydade,

Thanks for your comments. It does sound like Delray Beach is a better match for me and the downtown does sound like a lot of fun. The deal I may have on an apartment is in Boca (although that's not looking very likely right now). I checked rental prices online for Delray and they are on the expensive side also. It wouldn't be worth my while to move if I'm not going to have a cheaper standard of living - unless you can tell me about some reasonably priced rentals or areas in Delray that are in good neighborhoods.

Also, about the weather, does it rain all spring and summer there? I did some research on weather.com and it looks like there are a few months when it's always raining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach