Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 12:09 PM

122 posts, read 188,199 times

Advertisements

I've heard a lot of stories about how scary certain parts of South Florida are and people listing off neighborhoods to avoid (like anywhere that isn't a suburban gated community for millionaires). But I've lived in some supposedly "rough" neighborhoods up north and know how to handle myself.

I know Florida's crime rate is higher than average, particularly with the gun laws. But, is this is a place where drive-by's with full-auto glocks happen in broad daylight? Or is it just a place where you don't want to walk down the street at night by yourself? Do people get mugged, shot, assaulted randomly, or is it most of the crime between people who know each other and altercations that start at a bar and lead out into the streets?

Burglaries and car break-ins happened in my old city, but if you took some precautions, burglars wouldn't bother.

I don't know, just trying to gauge how dangerous it really is versus the perception. Sometimes I think it's just people who afraid of any minorities and automatically assume any poor neighborhood is like a warzone.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:51 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
I think the media over exaggerates the crime rate in South Florida is actually is very safe and crime only happens in certain pockets. Like any metro area you have to be smart about your surrounding but that is common sense 101. This thread has a map attached to it showing areas of Palm Beach County bad areas as well as good areas.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:40 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,916 times
It's not so much that South Florida is more dangerous than other major metro areas in the US, but rather than there are some very, very bad pockets of crime scattered throughout the region that are not all that far removed the nicer, more upscale areas. The way in which the land area in South Florida was developed (i.e., a narrow strip of land stretching from the Atlantic Ocean to the Everglades spanning approximately 100 miles north to south, but no more than 20 miles from east to west) has a lot to do with this. For example, cities in south Broward County like Pembroke Pines and Miramar are often receive very favorable marks in terms of safety, despite being within very close proximity to northern Miami-Dade County, home to the likes of Miami Gardans and Opa-locka and arguably one of the most dangerous areas in the entire US. Ditto Palm Beach Gardens vs. Riviera Beach.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:23 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,899 times
Default Blame the News!!

We moved down from NY - Rockland County - and there were several neighborhoods my wife and I would not go through at night. Bars on the windows, driveways lit up at night, several gangs, numerous serious crimes, drug dens, etc...and the difference....

In NY only the most violent crimes made the news - sometimes!! Down here, it seems that every crime is on the news or printed in the paper that day or the next. From the most serious to the most minor!

And yes, there are bad area's here as well and you only have to ask around to find out where they are.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:47 AM

229 posts, read 534,121 times
Florida is more dangerous than New York.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:17 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
Florida is more dangerous than New York.
The thread is not about the state as a whole, otherwise it would be in the state forum. You really need to compare locales. I'm not sure if that would change anything, but I guess it would depend on which locales one is comparing.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:10 PM

229 posts, read 534,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
The thread is not about the state as a whole, otherwise it would be in the state forum. You really need to compare locales. I'm not sure if that would change anything, but I guess it would depend on which locales one is comparing.
The South Florida counties have more crime than Rockland County, NY (which is really not that bad).

Old 10-12-2014, 02:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,075 times
This is a tough question to answer. Hence, we can all confirm that we all need to be more attentive in terms of criminal activities in our cities/location. I strongly encourage everyone to invest in learning self defense techniques, even the basic ones. It would come in really handy.

================================================== ======
Survival Tips and techniques for FREE - popushi.com / survival-tips

Old 10-12-2014, 07:48 AM

122 posts, read 188,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
Bars on the windows, driveways lit up at night, several gangs, numerous serious crimes, drug dens, etc...and the difference....
Even excluding New York City, I've seen the same thing in Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany. If you avoid certain places, you should be fine.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:50 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
I've lived in Broward for 6 years. I rent and have managed to find a relatively cheap place in a safe area. I would think Palm Beach county is less dangerous than Broward and Miami Dade is the most dangerous of all 3. I grew up in a large city in north New Jersey and as long as you stay out of trouble you should be fine. I heard bad things about south Florida, but all you have to do is look around or drive around at night to see where the bad areas are. I went to one rental broker who showed me an apartment in a dead end street where I would not live at for free. I have no problem living in a mixed neighborhood as long as there are decent people, but I would not feel safe living in the bad part of the hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach