Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:09 PM

148 posts, read 682,450 times

Advertisements

When will these homeowners in Boca with over-priced, inflated, houses come to their senses when trying to sell? We have seen several abandoned, empty, or shabby houses that realtors just "give up" on...why bother if it will go into foreclosure. There are also the snobby golf-communities where you can get a dumpy 1980's style home for the bargain price of one million$$...But, you should be so lucky to live there...

Plus, agents we have met have such attitude, still. My husband and I spoke with one agent in Boca who was busy watching ESPN while on the phone with us-- he sounded like that guy Jeff Spicoli (sp?) from Fast Times At Ridgemont High....didn't want to bother with us unless we were buying something over $ 2 million. News flash -- there are no more lines around the block to buy your over-priced condo's. Maybe they are waiting for some rich foreign investors to show up and pay cash. Yes, some sellers are over-extended and don't have money to come to closing. Sorry that times are tough.

Most of the houses on the market seem to be in bad shape for the prices they are asking. Maybe because "losers" are selling in this market. Sorry, we don't want to pay for idiots who chose to do 100% or more financing.

In our journey through the Boca real estate fantasy land, we have encountered listing agents who still think it's 2005 in Boca -- in fact, for many of them they are in a time warp because they have listings from that year at the same price. If there are any realtors out there, please share your thoughts.....By the time this real estate market turns around, most of us will be ready to go into assisted living!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey514 View Post
If there are any realtors out there, please share your thoughts.....By the time this real estate market turns around, most of us will be ready to go into assisted living!
I'm not a realtor, but why not just look in a nearby community where the prices are much lower? And get another real estate agent to work with. There are plenty of nice ones around. Ours couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:41 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
The agents are a joke, and the real estate prices are a joke. A few years ago (and up until recently), my parents were looking at either purchasing a second house or moving to Boca. I was around 16/17 at the time, and I remember the real estate agent flat-out insulted me in front of my mom, aunt and cousins. Also, what you get for $1.3M is a complete and utter joke.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:37 PM

148 posts, read 682,450 times
Please share your experiences....there could be a reality TV show on slimy, stupid, real estate agents in South Florida. My agent for buying has been great. Rather, it's the listing agents we meet or the ones my agent tries to work with are the problem. One guy told our agent that he doesn't work weekends - call him back on Monday. Like prior poster, we have also been insulted. We are not "high end" clients because we are looking only in the $ 1 to 2 million range. I agree with prior post that what is listed for $ 1.3 million is a joke. I think people paid too much for these houses. Many seem to be house-poor owners who can't keep up their property. Some have not made repairs since Wilma. We often hear this tale of woe "The owners paid $ 1.5 for the property in 2007, so they need to get at least (blah,blah,blah)....My hubby wants to screm "You suckers! That is YOUR problem"....Also, we are not buying a second or third home. This is where we live. One realtor looked down his big nose at us because we would be year-round residents at his posh country-club development. I don't know who will move into those aging Boca developments when all those people die off or go to assisted living. Who will have those big bucks to waste on memberships, HOA dues of $20K per year (or more), or club minimums. Major attitude. By the way, we really laughed at the agent who showed up with no shoes but drove up in borrowed Benz. What a jerk!

I had one agent insult my hubby and I by stating something like this " The last couple who tried to buy this house worked at Hooters". Obviously that is HIS problem - but it was just too wierd. We are a middle-aged professional couple. Many agents have asked to see our pre-approval letter before we even see the houses. Fine, understandable in this real estate climate. But, there is a polite way to ask for this. Unfortunately, we have been seeing some low-class agents who have these listings. The guys who are the listing agents are really creepy - they show up looking as though they have been up all night partying or they did us a favor by rolling out of bed. I think many of these guys are bouncers or bartenders who made some fast money selling condo's part-time or have listings of friends who were trying to flip.

I haven't even started telling you what we have seen in these houses in Boca --- there are some wierd people living in South Florida. BTW, if you want to sell your house, please don't leave your meds, guns, or sex toys in plain sight. That show "House Hunters" should come down here (lol).

Old 11-30-2008, 10:45 AM

522 posts, read 1,609,802 times
Your comments are so on target. And it KILLS me that these real estate agents are so lazy and unprofessional - they must be living on trust funds! I did a brief stint as a south Florida realtor and gave it up because the market was so bad - so how are these jerks earning an honest living????

Old 11-30-2008, 12:02 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Be careful about judging an entire profession based on a few poor examples.

There are poor examples in every profession. When we deal with a bad apple, sometimes we need to share the blame because of not being an informed consumer.

Frank D.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:54 PM

522 posts, read 1,609,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Be careful about judging an entire profession based on a few poor examples.

There are poor examples in every profession. When we deal with a bad apple, sometimes we need to share the blame because of not being an informed consumer.

Frank D.
I do understand the bad apple concept. I also personally know realtors who do not fit that mold here. But, what amazes me is how OFTEN I have seen otherwise and in a real estate market that has been bad for at LEAST two years now.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
I think you are exagerrating just a bit lol...I live in Boca and $1 million will buy you a really nice house. Boca has always been known as an expensive area (Florida standards) and the prices have gone down, just not as much as surrounding cities.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:31 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
$1M might by you a nice house in a undesirable development. Yay!

Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times
UNFORTUNATELY that it has to be this way, but, some areas like Boca Raton are forced to keep prices up, in order to keep away certain unmotivated, undisciplined, and disorganized citizens of this great nation, from infiltrating into good areas.

If you take a look at today's post, "South Florida -Violence #2" which bears a tape from YouTube, by the O/P, you will understand why, at times, this is necessary.

Eventually, most of us will have to live behind 10ft. walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach