Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:56 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,398,694 times

Advertisements

I can research this on my own I guess, but does anyone know if these tax increases affect those that are homesteaded, and under the save our homes act?
I guess I could be missing something, but property value is waaaaay down so I would think tax rates would have to go up??
I was paying .27 mil rate in Milwaukee and most cities are way below that here. I was also paying close to 166 dollars a square foot for my condo, when you can buy homes for 100-120 a sqft right now down here.
Not sure what there is to complain about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 06:59 AM

114 posts, read 449,224 times
"Not sure what there is to complain about?"

Some people post here just to complain. Not sure why.

THX 1138 - If you read the posts correctly, I was not saying that you were verbally attacking anybody. Rather it was the other poster alleging that Wellington is on the decline that was complaining of being verbally attacked. Also, yes, I read the papers, usually 3 a day. As I stated, the tax notice that I just received within the last 2 weeks or so, show a tax decrease of 30%, and unless I've missed something, that is with the proposed tax increases. Yes, I know, the decrease is because of the new assessed amount, which is fine by me as I just bought the property.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,520 times
Hi,
I just finished reviewing your post. I am thinking of moving to wellington in the near future...6 mos. or so! I have my eye on Olympia development. I am a young mother and my husband and four children will be moving out there soon. Is there anything that you could help with in making our decision making??? I am an african american woman that is fortunate to have wealth on my side. I am concerned about the diversity. I really want to live in a beautiful neighborhood like i do now, but now with all the snottiness I don't know how you feel on the subject of diversity or wealth...but i value your input if you have any. Thank you and I look forward to your response!
J.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 PM

475 posts, read 1,498,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
Would you buy a home in Wellington? If not, why? Or why would you?
Myself, I would say no, as I like living near the beach.

The homes and communities are very nice, lots of shopping, hospials and Turnpike exit are near, however I-95 is about 12 miles east, beaches even further.

The main east / west arteries are very busy during rush hour. They have been widening them ie: Okeechobee Blvd. & Southern Blvd. - but the traffic is still heavy.

So it gets down to what you are looking for.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,398,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaselle1 View Post
Hi,
I just finished reviewing your post. I am thinking of moving to wellington in the near future...6 mos. or so! I have my eye on Olympia development. I am a young mother and my husband and four children will be moving out there soon. Is there anything that you could help with in making our decision making??? I am an african american woman that is fortunate to have wealth on my side. I am concerned about the diversity. I really want to live in a beautiful neighborhood like i do now, but now with all the snottiness I don't know how you feel on the subject of diversity or wealth...but i value your input if you have any. Thank you and I look forward to your response!
J.
Check out Canyon's and Journey's End before you do anything in Olympia. Similar price points, great neighborhoods for families. Nothing against Olympia, just might be good to see other good areas outside of Wellington.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:13 AM

156 posts, read 710,989 times
In my opinion, Olympia was just too big, small zero lot sizes, and many homes unoccupied due to investors/foreclosures. I would try a smaller neighborhood like Binks Forest, Greenview Cove, or any of those. The homes are just as big, but with larger lot sizes and many more homes occupied.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 PM

5 posts, read 28,707 times
Does anyone know if Victoria / Anthony Groves houses are considered Wellington I know its the Wellington zip code and its Wellington schools but it says Royal Palm Beach sometimes. Also is the neighborhood back there where the houses are a pretty safe area?

Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 PM

186 posts, read 794,459 times
It's only my opinion, but I think you could do better in the village of Wellington than to buy in Victoria. Royal Palm Beach has some very nice newer developments, but I'd steer fairly clear of developments very near WalMart on #441.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:36 AM

8 posts, read 23,433 times
We can't advise someone on "what was" in a neighorhood. Wellington was quite elite and considered out in the boonies when it was under development.

What I think people must remember when either looking for advice or posting to these forums is that ALL cities, towns, even neighborhoods can and do have good and bad sections. Nothing is perfect.

The Town of Wellington has a strong governing body and many restrictions on how you care for your property. It also has many community amenities and town activities. If you don't want to see junk cars, trash cans, messy yards or odd color houses, it is the place for you. The south-west side of town is a traffic mess during Polo season. This is between the Polo fields and the Aero Club. (that's where I lived) Traffic is horrendous and you can't imagine what it is like to even go grocery shopping - and forget trying to make a left turn onto any street without a light in your favor..LOL. And the main artery in and out of town is Forest Hill Blvd. It gets pretty jamed up in season, altho if you live on the south side you can use Lake Worth Road, and on the north side can use Southern Blvd.

Pricing has swung dramatically over the years. Right now you could probably get a good deal, but as always, watch the neighborhoods and do your research. There are indeed more undesirable pockets than you would think. A good deal of the rentals, duplexes, tris-quads, and townhouses are filled with Section 8. That is government assisted rent control. These people must be under certain income guidelines to live there. And as another person posted, there are indeed places where groups of people will live together to save money: often this is the seasonal workers.

The gated communities are very nice, and most secure. I've found the people who live in Wellington full time are very friendly. Some times the ponies and snowbirds can think they are a step above, but so what? They are only in town a short time. This is an established community that is not going broke, like some of the newer developments.

The same is true for Royal Palm Beach, which is extremely family oriented. Royal Palm has two sections: the older one and the newer one. The older one has smaller older houses, and the newer one of course has larger homes. The schools, shopping, and community activities are great. Again, there are less desirable areas, and you can tell by looking at them.

I won't slander any names, but the gated communities with the big houses and zero lot lines... I know many are already going under and homeowner funds are not doing well. I'd be careful. What good is a $500K house for $250K if you have abandoned construction sites, HOA's nearly empty, and virtually no property management or amenities?

We usually buy resales... the reputation of the neighborhood is already established, the house has weathered storms, landscaping is set in, most of the kinks are out of the house. We usually do some cosmetic work anyway, so why purchase a new, poorly constructed home?

Heres hoping you find your dream home in the sunny sub-tropics...best wishes!

Last edited by NancyC29; 02-02-2010 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 01-22-2014, 05:04 PM

499 posts, read 586,222 times
Hard to believe that 2010 was 4 years ago! Anyway, that's when the last post was left. Just wondering how people feel about buying in Wellington today - Would you buy a home in Wellington, why, or not? If not Wellington, where in WPB county would you buy?

Planning to move here in the next 6-12 months with my hubby and 1-year-old daughter. I am a Family Nurse Practitioner and hubby is looking to buy a business. Wellington seems like it would be a good fit for us, but I would love some input. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach