Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:34 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy40 View Post
Hi all,
We are on our way home from our trip to West Virginia and I can say that we are even more convinced now that this is where we want to be.

We drove up, mostly expressway, to Bowden... we spent two beautiful snowy winter evenings in one of Revelle's River Resort riverfront cabins with the river roaring by and the stars beautifully lit in the sky...we could not keep our 2 1/2 year old inside...she loves the outdoors...no matter how cold.

We had Sunday Brunch at the Canaan Resort...where the deer were hanging out right outside the window...we met some lovely people from Davis. We learned a lot about different areas of WV from them, as we did from every one we met. What made it so exciting to us is that no matter how much information they had to share, the first thing anyone said was what a great place WV is to raise children. I don't think we met one person that did not say it....by the way the drive from Revelle's to Timberline was incredible...some parts reminded me of Narnia...pure white...unbelievable.

After our 2 nights at Revelle's, we spent 4 nights at Watoga State Park, in one of the modern cabins, as the standard cabins are closed until April, I think. We had a ball.

We spent one day visiting Droop Mountain and Beartown, as well as one day visiting the Cranberry Glades...on the drive back from Beartown, we stopped at the Country Roads Cafe...what a great time we had.

We drove home via 219 and are now stopping in SC for the night. There is so much more, but I don't want to bore anyone, as I tend to go on and on...but I must say that WV is everything you have all said it is and in my eyes even more.

We are keeping our eyes open on different sights looking for teaching positions...hopefully something will happen to help our dream become possible.

Thanks for all of the information that helped to make our trip great.

Kind regards,
Newmommy 40
All these weeks later I finally remembered about you and wanted to see how your trip went..... Sounds like it went well...

Ya'll have a target location to move to yet???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 07:20 PM

20 posts, read 99,522 times
Talking We are on our way

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
All these weeks later I finally remembered about you and wanted to see how your trip went..... Sounds like it went well...

Ya'll have a target location to move to yet???
Hi,
It went very well...in fact we just returned last night from our second trip...
Now...most will think we are crazy, but we are going to be working in Berkeley County, but are looking for homes in Morgan and Hampshire. We want some land and a little bit more rural setting. We think we've found one in Hampshire...the drive won't be so bad, since we both will be working in Berkeley and will ride in together...winters may be a little tough, but hopefully our 4WD will help us with that.

Our house is on the market, here in Jacksonville. Once it sells, we will be on our way...as long as school is out. We are very excited about the lifestyle change...I tell you even the teenagers we have met up there, talk about it being a great place to raise a family...to me that says a lot.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Hi,
Now...most will think we are crazy, but we are going to be working in Berkeley County, but are looking for homes in Morgan and Hampshire. We want some land and a little bit more rural setting. We think we've found one in Hampshire...the drive won't be so bad, since we both will be working in Berkeley and will ride in together...winters may be a little tough, but hopefully our 4WD will help us with that.

Our house is on the market, here in Jacksonville. Once it sells, we will be on our way...as long as school is out. We are very excited about the lifestyle change...I tell you even the teenagers we have met up there, talk about it being a great place to raise a family...to me that says a lot.
From Jax too??? How cool.... Just moved to Frederick County just across the border in Virginia from the Orlando area.... Guess we weren't the only one's looking for that type of change.....

Ditto on the winter. It'll be an initial shock, but when I think of my 3-year old daughter out there sledding I know it's worth it...... Amen to four seasons...

Old 05-13-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
From Jax too??? How cool.... Just moved to Frederick County just across the border in Virginia from the Orlando area.... Guess we weren't the only one's looking for that type of change.....

Ditto on the winter. It'll be an initial shock, but when I think of my 3-year old daughter out there sledding I know it's worth it...... Amen to four seasons...
Wow, after reading your reply, I went back and read your first post to this thread. You really did just move up there. Are you all happy with the move?

Did you and your wife both find work in the school system? When we visited last week, we took a tour of the school...what a happy surprise. We are thrilled about our decision and once our house sells and school is out, we will be on our way up.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Wow, after reading your reply, I went back and read your first post to this thread. You really did just move up there. Are you all happy with the move?

Did you and your wife both find work in the school system? When we visited last week, we took a tour of the school...what a happy surprise. We are thrilled about our decision and once our house sells and school is out, we will be on our way up.
Okay, I'm going to bore you with a story now....

Last summer my wife and I went on a long car trip with our then 2-year old daughter (The wonder of car DVD players.. ). We drove up from Orlando, took a ferry from the NC coast out to Ocracoke Island and drove up the outer banks, went to Jamestown, Richmond and D.C. to visit my Dad..... ANYway, our next stop was a week at a cabin in the Smokies in NC so we decided to head out west of D.C. and drive down the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway on our way down (obviously in no hurry)...

Well the Skyline Drive starts in a town in Virginia called Front Royal and we really just really liked the look of it. My wife went into a used bookstore there to grab a book to read and got to talking to the lady (a proud local, I guess) and she mentioned that they were building a brand new high school right by the entrance to Skyline Drive..... "Wouldn't THAT be cool" we thought.....

Well, it was a pipe dream we supposed as I still needed to find a job paying decent SOMEwhere. Well, after a couple nibbles a job opened up in my field for the school system in that county. I applied and got the job fairly easily and then after mentioning in the interview about my wife being a teacher of ten years they began actively pursuing her...

Well, surprise surprise, she now has a job, starting next school year at Skyline High (the new school that we dreamed about her potentially working at) and I'm working in the county school system with her (thought for sure I'd be making the hellacious commute to D.C.)....

So short story long, YES!!! Though right now I'm up here by myself and have been for 6 weeks (as I had to start my job in early April) waiting for school to end down there (my wife wanted to teach out the rest of the year...) and I fly down in two weeks to bring them up here.....

Eight weeks without my family and especially our little one has been difficult to say the least, but I'm happy to say that we'll all be together up here soon enough.....

Kudos to anyone who made it through that..... I know I find my life interesting, but that doesn't mean anyone else really does...

Old 05-13-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Oh, and I'm definately happy with the move and hope my wife will be as well....

On a side note I drove through Berkeley County to the Antietam Battlefield today.... Beautiful country.... Is that where you settled on??? Or was it Jefferson??? (I forgot already.. )

Old 05-13-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Oh, and I'm definately happy with the move and hope my wife will be as well....

On a side note I drove through Berkeley County to the Antietam Battlefield today.... Beautiful country.... Is that where you settled on??? Or was it Jefferson??? (I forgot already.. )
That is a neat story. So cool when dreams become reality. It is neat that you have a 3 year old also...our daughter is 2 1/2. I am sure your wife will be as well...dream to reality. Visiting this last time sealed the deal for us. The high school is awesome and the area is beautiful. Our daughter can't get through a whole day without saying "outside Mommy" at least 20 times. Seeing how beautiful it is up there and all there is to do, she is going to love it....when we went up for spring break...we couldn't get her out of the snow...she was in heaven.

We both have jobs at a high school in Berkeley County, but found a home we love in Hampshire County. Quite a drive, but have come to terms with the fact that it will be at least a 45 minute drive no matter where we live....considering that we want to have a little bit of land. We will ride in together. It is a little more affordable in Morgan and Hampshire Counties.

By the way...just a little tidbit..I graduated from Winter Park High School...small world huh? Where does your wife teach, if you don't mind my nosiness?

Old 05-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
That is a neat story. So cool when dreams become reality. It is neat that you have a 3 year old also...our daughter is 2 1/2. I am sure your wife will be as well...dream to reality. Visiting this last time sealed the deal for us. The high school is awesome and the area is beautiful. Our daughter can't get through a whole day without saying "outside Mommy" at least 20 times. Seeing how beautiful it is up there and all there is to do, she is going to love it....when we went up for spring break...we couldn't get her out of the snow...she was in heaven.

We both have jobs at a high school in Berkeley County, but found a home we love in Hampshire County. Quite a drive, but have come to terms with the fact that it will be at least a 45 minute drive no matter where we live....considering that we want to have a little bit of land. We will ride in together. It is a little more affordable in Morgan and Hampshire Counties.

By the way...just a little tidbit..I graduated from Winter Park High School...small world huh? Where does your wife teach, if you don't mind my nosiness?
She teaches at Lyman High School at the moment. She also graduated from there... She's actually working side by side with the teacher that inspired her to become a teacher in the first place.... Pretty neat really, but still ready for a change...

Old 06-01-2007, 06:11 AM

7 posts, read 35,919 times
Default Schools in/near Elkins

I taught in the Randolph County schools many years ago. At that time it was a great system...Midland and 3rd ward are particularly good. (fomer is between elkins and beverly, and the latter is in Elkins-near "the Mall" --Beverly is pretty good as well. Ms. Pie

Old 06-07-2007, 06:31 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Quote:
Hi,

Great move on your part Mommy. The winters are not that bad and you should not have an issue either on Route 50 to 81 or Rt 9 with the exception of Devils Nose. If I moved back to By God, it sure would not be my native Berkeley but Elkins to Romney. Today, downtown Martinsburg is about equal to parts of downtown Jax, but on a smaller scale.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia