Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 05:49 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
US 35 is a key highway that will link cities like Columbus and Dayton directly to Charleston and will allow for further development of industry in the Kanawha Valley. The Toyota Plant is one example.

Yes we get that your area needs some infrastructure. But you act like the state should just stop everything it is doing and cater to Morgantown's needs. Morgantown has the amazing privilege of hosting the states largest and most profitable institution. that alone gives it the most unfair advantage (outside of the capital) in terms of economic potential. Plus how do you expect better roads when the city of Mtown and the surrounding areas have poorly planned developments?

You also act like the state is just building roads and schools in the KV like there is no tomorrow. There is probably more road work in Mtown than there is in Charleston (true statement).
That further development might happen. It might not happen. Charleston has always had good roads. In recent decades that has not stopped businesses from bailing out there.

We do have the advantage of having the state's largest and best institution. It has developed exponentially with very little support from our state government. We could debate the reasons for that, but probably largest among them is our proximity to large population centers in a way not found any place else in our state except the Eastern Panhandle. Is that an "unfair" advantage? I don't think so. The school has been here since 1867 when it was considered an afterthought in the state. It is an advantage, but not an unfair advantage.

Poorly planned developments is a term used by those who would make excuses for the state's shortcomings in terms of infrastructure. We have development everywhere here... every hilltop and valley, because there is strong demand to be here due to the obvious attributes of our city. That development is going to take place regardless of the planning mechanism employed. The state has failed to adequately respond and the effort they have put forth would be considered woefully inadequate no matter how much planning had gone into it.

That said, they have made some limited improvements. Yes, there might be more road work going on here than in Charleston right now, but nobody could say Charleston lacks adequate infrastructure. They have an infrastructure developed for 80,000 people already existing for a town with 50,000 inhabitants. You could grow at a rate of 5% per year there and not need new infrastructure for 25 years. We have 55,000 inhabitants here most of the year using an infrastructure developed for 20,000 people.

I'd like to steer the discussion back in the direction of the topic of the thread. Eastern Ohio is making another strong push for a cracker facility. In the meantime, Boss Hogg and his minions are sitting their trying to figure out how they can divvy up the pork and letting another opportunity pass bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:29 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I'm from Huntington. Born and raised. Maybe I was over generalizing when I said Charleston had the best superficial appearance in the state. I specifically meant high rises and outward urban appearance. The word 'Best' can simply be opinion. I like larger cities and the dense urban core that is present in all of them (some are spread out). Many cities are identified by the thought of that urban center. I think Charleston, and I think 'best city skyline in WV'. One might say that they prefer Huntington (2nd best) or Wheeling (3rd Best) but Charleston just looks better in my opinion.

The point is:

Do they want to show this:

This:

This:

Or This:

Btw, yes Mylan surely could have been mentioned as well.
Well Morgantown is the most urban city in WV. It might not have the highest buildings but who cares. All the skylines are pathetic when it comes to height. There are business parks in the DC metro area that destroy WV cities skyline wise. There strength is not in the skyline.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:51 AM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That further development might happen. It might not happen. Charleston has always had good roads. In recent decades that has not stopped businesses from bailing out there.

We do have the advantage of having the state's largest and best institution. It has developed exponentially with very little support from our state government. We could debate the reasons for that, but probably largest among them is our proximity to large population centers in a way not found any place else in our state except the Eastern Panhandle. Is that an "unfair" advantage? I don't think so. The school has been here since 1867 when it was considered an afterthought in the state. It is an advantage, but not an unfair advantage.

Poorly planned developments is a term used by those who would make excuses for the state's shortcomings in terms of infrastructure. We have development everywhere here... every hilltop and valley, because there is strong demand to be here due to the obvious attributes of our city. That development is going to take place regardless of the planning mechanism employed. The state has failed to adequately respond and the effort they have put forth would be considered woefully inadequate no matter how much planning had gone into it.

That said, they have made some limited improvements. Yes, there might be more road work going on here than in Charleston right now, but nobody could say Charleston lacks adequate infrastructure. They have an infrastructure developed for 80,000 people already existing for a town with 50,000 inhabitants. You could grow at a rate of 5% per year there and not need new infrastructure for 25 years. We have 55,000 inhabitants here most of the year using an infrastructure developed for 20,000 people.

I'd like to steer the discussion back in the direction of the topic of the thread. Eastern Ohio is making another strong push for a cracker facility. In the meantime, Boss Hogg and his minions are sitting their trying to figure out how they can divvy up the pork and letting another opportunity pass bye.
Nobody is saying that there isn't need in Morgantown for infrastructure. In fact, I'd say everyone on this forum including the representatives from the metro valley can agree that Morgantown needs better roads. But the problem that I have is that the posters from Morgantown have such a grudge against the state government that they want to lash out against anything positive that the gov. does in others parts of the state. Sure the Charleston area has good infrastructure, but you forget that its where 3 major interstates meet, plus Corridor G. The infrastructure is a need. Plus it was build to support 80,000 people because there used to be that many people and when the roads were built the city was growing. So you can't complain that Charleston has unneeded infrastructure, when in fact the highways and interchanges were built when there was a need. Plus there is still a need today because the roads are still heavily used. In fact, 64 could use some more work from Nitro to Scott Depot.

But I agree we need to get back on topic. I personally feel that a cracker would work just as well in Charleston as it would in the Northern Panhandle. At this point I really don't care where they built it as long as its in WV! I would like to see two of them built eventually, because I feel once the market for it picks up the demand will drive the industry to pursue another.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Nobody is saying that there isn't need in Morgantown for infrastructure. In fact, I'd say everyone on this forum including the representatives from the metro valley can agree that Morgantown needs better roads. But the problem that I have is that the posters from Morgantown have such a grudge against the state government that they want to lash out against anything positive that the gov. does in others parts of the state. Sure the Charleston area has good infrastructure, but you forget that its where 3 major interstates meet, plus Corridor G. The infrastructure is a need. Plus it was build to support 80,000 people because there used to be that many people and when the roads were built the city was growing. So you can't complain that Charleston has unneeded infrastructure, when in fact the highways and interchanges were built when there was a need. Plus there is still a need today because the roads are still heavily used. In fact, 64 could use some more work from Nitro to Scott Depot.

But I agree we need to get back on topic. I personally feel that a cracker would work just as well in Charleston as it would in the Northern Panhandle. At this point I really don't care where they built it as long as its in WV! I would like to see two of them built eventually, because I feel once the market for it picks up the demand will drive the industry to pursue another.
I'm not complaining because Charleston has adequate roads. I'm complaining because we don't have them, but the politicos continue to seek to build them there. Build the ones we obviously need first, then we can talk about the ones that might benefit the Kanawha area.

You might well get a small cracker in Kanawha, but there is no way it is as logical there as it is right smack in the middle of the wet gas deposits in the Northern Panhandle. There is already almost $2 billion invested in natural gas processing infrastructure in Marshall County. A cracker there is all they need to provide stimulus for all sorts of downstream industry. The purpose of a cracker is to process wet gas, and Charleston is at least 190 miles from the nearest wet gas deposits in western Wetzel County.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I'm not complaining because Charleston has adequate roads. I'm complaining because we don't have them, but the politicos continue to seek to build them there. Build the ones we obviously need first, then we can talk about the ones that might benefit the Kanawha area.

You might well get a small cracker in Kanawha, but there is no way it is as logical there as it is right smack in the middle of the wet gas deposits in the Northern Panhandle. There is already almost $2 billion invested in natural gas processing infrastructure in Marshall County. A cracker there is all they need to provide stimulus for all sorts of downstream industry. The purpose of a cracker is to process wet gas, and Charleston is at least 190 miles from the nearest wet gas deposits in western Wetzel County.
The Marcellus Shale runs all the way down to Southern WV, and even the so called "wet gas" is just north of Charleston in counties like Jackson. Plus Marshall County may already have some gas related industry, but Charleston has a whole valley of chemical related industries that the cracker would be marketing itself too. The reason you have a cracker is so that the gas can be used for products. The KV is one of the more concentrated of chemical based production anywhere. Plus we already have the rail and barge facilities needed.

Not rooting against it in the NP, but definitely not counting the KV out.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:40 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
The Marcellus Shale runs all the way down to Southern WV, and even the so called "wet gas" is just north of Charleston in counties like Jackson. Plus Marshall County may already have some gas related industry, but Charleston has a whole valley of chemical related industries that the cracker would be marketing itself too. The reason you have a cracker is so that the gas can be used for products. The KV is one of the more concentrated of chemical based production anywhere. Plus we already have the rail and barge facilities needed.

Chris, while there is shale in Southern WV and maybe a little wet shale in your area the real prize is in Northern WV. Specifically in the NP and the Ohio river valley around Parkersburg and as someone else mentioned wood county. It is not even comparable what is in Southern WV. There is a reason the industry is going to the Northern part of the state and Western PA. There is a lot more shale and it is easier and cheaper to get to.

The state shouldnt be promoting one area Chris. All areas should be given equal consideration. Let the market decide and give the same incentives everywhere. If a company feels it is best to locate in Charleston in those circumstances fair enough, but Charleston shouldnt get special advantages over other areas.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Chris, while there is shale in Southern WV and maybe a little wet shale in your area the real prize is in Northern WV. Specifically in the NP and the Ohio river valley around Parkersburg and as someone else mentioned wood county. It is not even comparable what is in Southern WV. There is a reason the industry is going to the Northern part of the state and Western PA. There is a lot more shale and it is easier and cheaper to get to.

The state shouldnt be promoting one area Chris. All areas should be given equal consideration. Let the market decide and give the same incentives everywhere. If a company feels it is best to locate in Charleston in those circumstances fair enough, but Charleston shouldnt get special advantages over other areas.
I never said the state should be promoting any area. I said that the KV has just as much reason to get a cracker as the NP does. If Charleston got a cracker it would be because of a local investor who has already attempted to build one here. There has been no evidence that the state has favored the KV over the NP. In fact, I remember Tomblin pushing extremely hard to get one in Marshall County just a few months ago. I think you are mistakenly assuming that the cracker talks in the Charleston area were taking away from the proposed NP one. Two different cracker proposals.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't count anybody out who still holds political sway, no matter how tenuous. That still does not make it logical. A narrow strip of Marcellus does run into that area, but not the wet gas portions. That area is primarily in Marshall County, WV and Belmont County, OH. Wet gas deposits in those counties far exceed those found elsewhere, and that explains why the big money folks have invested so heavily there already. Believe me, it wasn't because Boss Hogg wanted it that way.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:24 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
Who is this "Boss Hogg" that you frequently speak of? I know you are referring to politicians. But is it one certain group in particular or even a certain person?

Old 09-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Who is this "Boss Hogg" that you frequently speak of? I know you are referring to politicians. But is it one certain group in particular or even a certain person?
You're going to have to draw your own conclusions there, but he is a major political figure in our state. You're probably too young to remember the Dukes of Hazard.

Here is a map of known wet gas plays in the Marcellus field. The wet gas area seems to cut off about Point Pleasant, but the richer formations are north of there in Belmont OH and Marshall WV.

http://www.marcellus.psu.edu/images/...with_Depth.gif

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 09-13-2013 at 08:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia