Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 04:54 PM

27 posts, read 93,022 times

Advertisements

I no longer have the magazine on that phenom, but this will do: ABC News: Malibu Mobile Homes Can Cost Cool Million

Of course, the buyer was in Malibu. And the mobile home is gianormous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 04:55 PM

Btw, really like the travel trailer idea

Old 02-02-2008, 04:55 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,380,080 times
Mobile home or modulars have come a long way. They are dry walled and all. When we were looking for ours for our other property my husband was blown away and actually said that he will look at people living in trailers totally different. They have sunken family rooms stone anywhere you want it, even second stories. Just beautiful.

I wouldn't get a motor home but a pull along. motor homes are very expensive compared to the pull along.

Don't forget, it will also cost money for the well and septic.

Another note, if you own the land outright you can get a mobile/modular with no money down, you use your land as a down payment. That is if you want to tie it up. We did this because we weren't expecting to buy a new home at the time but had no choice and by doing this we could finance it like a house with a regular home interest rate and terms. Otherwise financing on them or even the pull along/motor homes the financing is a lot higher.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:57 PM

Mmmm, good points, Janipoo. Lots to think about.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:53 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
Modulars are NOT, I repeat NOT mobile homes in any sense...a mobile home carries a Title of Depreciation just like an automobile...
The only thing they have in common is the fact they are transported on the highway.
A modular home is a 'stick built home manufatured in a factory. It is built entirely to exceed the stick-built building code spec's. They have exterior walls of 2 X 6 or 2 X 4 wood studs, use I-joist or bridge truss flooring...osb or plywood and the best companies use the very best interior products...

The best modular company east of the Mississippi is Apex Homes of Middleburg, Pa. 15 miles south of Harrisburg, Pa on rt 522. What makes them the best are these three things..

Service: you become part of the Apex family when you won their home.
Plans: They have hundreds, but they can take a set of ordinary prints and design a
house to the modular format for $500.
Size: they can build to about 6800 sq ft...2 1/2 story mansions that go to Long Island
and every point West to Columbus and south to Charleston, Wv.. We have used
the Apex product since 1993 and received a quality award from them in 1996.

See their website: Apexhomesusa.com You will be impressed...

Old 02-02-2008, 06:06 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,380,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Modulars are NOT, I repeat NOT mobile homes in any sense...a mobile home carries a Title of Depreciation just like an automobile...
The only thing they have in common is the fact they are transported on the highway.
A modular home is a 'stick built home manufatured in a factory. It is built entirely to exceed the stick-built building code spec's. They have exterior walls of 2 X 6 or 2 X 4 wood studs, use I-joist or bridge truss flooring...osb or plywood and the best companies use the very best interior products...

The best modular company east of the Mississippi is Apex Homes of Middleburg, Pa. 15 miles south of Harrisburg, Pa on rt 522. What makes them the best are these three things..

Service: you become part of the Apex family when you won their home.
Plans: They have hundreds, but they can take a set of ordinary prints and design a
house to the modular format for $500.
Size: they can build to about 6800 sq ft...2 1/2 story mansions that go to Long Island
and every point West to Columbus and south to Charleston, Wv.. We have used
the Apex product since 1993 and received a quality award from them in 1996.

See their website: Apexhomesusa.com You will be impressed...
Yes, true. They are building mobile homes with upgraded exterior walls though. But yes a modular holds its value as a mobile does not. If I was purchasing to live in I would definitely go modular (of course you pay for it). A module when inside you cannot tell the diference to a regular built home where as a mobile even if it has drywall still has the mobile home feel.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:08 AM

So, I guess ABC News got it wrong?

Old 02-03-2008, 09:33 AM

Just took a look at Apex Homes ... very nice. And you're right, very big as well. Have you checked out the dear interiors of the Ross Chapin designs? Actually, the smaller the home, the dearer the details. I sorta like small and modest. Here's a interesting Web site about the small home movement (I know, a new "movement"? Oh brother : Small House Society

Old 02-03-2008, 01:11 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
I will do that soon...I've been working on designs for our townhouses and some small mountain cabins...I was so impressed with the exterior cut of those thimble homes that I have included an 'old time' front porch with the 1/2 gable ends...they are already roofed with the Wheeling Steel roofing...the old time 'standing seam tin...

Seeing those thimble size homes has been an answer to a design flaw of making these cabins look bigger...these cabins are only 16' by 32'...the same size as the old pioneer's log cabins...but with a 3' or 4' halfwall for the 2nd story and a reverse gable through the center, it makes a very workable loft for storage, a heating unit or sleeping...
With those ideas from your link, a more perfect design was possible...owe you more than a brownie point...I will research these other links as the interiors need to be perfect also...

In addition, we began using the modular approach to mountain cabins about 6 years ago...had a contract on the edge of a lake near B***^^^...we used a custom designed modular for the house and veneered the exterior with log cabin wood siding and used a green Wheeling Steel roof....all of them had to be the same for the development (2200 sf on a full basement) Very workable and quick and the quality could be controlled by a trustworthy 3rd party. Now we do a few.
Since 2002, we pick and choose...

thanks again, dk

Last edited by David Kennedy; 02-03-2008 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 04:13 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingdollar View Post
Threerun: That's a sad story. I used to work/live in SF and it sounds like the same sort of stuff that happened there. There were some hostile attitudes, for sure -- my husband got 9 nails in his car tires for simply disagreeing with an acquaintance's politics ... that sort of nonsense. I grew up in a town like that, a college town, and learned to keep my contrary thoughts to myself, my mouth buttoned up tight. But I'll be damned if I'm going to put down stakes in a town like that ... I'd like to find a place with a more reasonable lot of people, who can disagree without losing their minds.
Ironic, isn't it? These are the same folks who consider themselves patriotic americans, but they can't bear the sound of free speech!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia