Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:26 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,327,752 times

Advertisements

That geo-thermal bore was a professional install...
On the east side of Allegheny Front sits a house built with solar collectors to heat the indoor swimming pool...needed because of the very short summer. It works but only because of the huge greenhouse that houses the pool.

Greenhouses are very expensive and a lot goes into them...
I did one for a professor friend as a favor and the cost was over $20,000. Heat ducts from the domestic furnace...
auxilliary heat safeguards...water and electric circuits, Thermostats, excavation and concrete. A playtoy not for the frugal...
I'm doing our sauna/hot tub room and I've incorporated a lot of glass in the roof and 2 of the walls...we will see how that goes..

Most cost effective is still geo-thermal...Those great ideas will not work effectively in this climate and latitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 12:20 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,802,043 times
Sounds like you built the upscale version of a greenhouse, which is definately much more expensive. Glazing choices can vary, along with the extent of finish work for climate control.

Both plans I mentioned were hoop system that didn't use glass, far more primitive than proffessional grade. The architectural bones would end as a foundation knee wall for secure hoop tie in. Neighbors might look upon it as an eyesore for its lack of aesthetic, but it's functional and if you've got enough acreage nobody should care. What I'm talking about is hose bibs and weatherproof outlets on an exterior wall, dirt floors with terraced flagstone paths between raised bedding planters, outdoor grade area rugs, patio furniture & aux. heat being a chiminea w/flue. More outdoor than indoor, not suitable for sensitive electronics climate & not considered sq footage by the town for lack of a permanent roof.

Geothermal sounds promising, but might turn out to be beyond my means or ability to maintain. I'm wondering if mineral rights become an issue to contend with if they haven't conveyed.

The plenum plan is being used in canada effectively, and as it turns out, increases his harvesting to 9+ months out of the year due to plants thriving from underground heat/moisture delivery root systems prefer. One thing I didnt understand was why he didn't use a solar powered fan to move the air, since the majority of the heat accumulation would happen during sunny days. I'm guessing he couldnt find something powerful enough to move it, or that overcast high heat+humidity days render it useless.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:29 PM

The new greenhouse uses an automatic window device that is in reality a pneumatic door closer filled with wax...as the temp increases the wax reduces in consistency and allows the mechanism to lift the window...

When I was in Oregon, a fellow made the "Hap-Hazard' greenhouse...
Pressure treaded 2 x10"s were bolted together in a rectangle and drilled with 2 1/4" holes every 2' on the longer side of the board.
Into the holes was placed the end of a piece of PVC Pipe cut into 20' lengths. These looked like black bows.
He then ran a 3/4" board stringer down the center and down the sides at 4' intervals and closed with a board at the bottom touching the 2 x 10" frame.
This became a plastic quonset hut covered with clear or tinted fiberglass panels.
The ends were closed in. A door was installed and it was done...
If it had to be moved, several men could pick it up and carry it a distance....most of them were 12' in length.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:52 PM

27 posts, read 93,045 times
Default Land in W VA .... back again for another question

Hi, folks,
We found a possible home (a "green" cabin, sans solar), not on much land, but the land adjacent might be up for sale. Anyway, when we checked NexTag's site for comparables, the home's/land's recent appraisal was $130k less than the asking price of $200k. So, at first I suspected greed, but perhaps it might be something else, like the owners are deep in debt (over a home equity maybe at a time when the market wasn't so soft and it would fetch a higher appraisal?). If we decide we want the home, we could put 20% down, but we wouldn't want to put up the $130k difference that our lender wouldn't cover. That would wipe out all our investments and retirement accounts. Also, I'm wondering if we get it appraised whether we should pick the appraiser, to guarantee an honest assessment. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:05 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,384,361 times
I wouldn't go by what a website tells you about a property, I know that there is also zillow.com and I found those numbers off. Also, when you are talking about a property especially outside of a subdivision it is harder to get comparables because a lot of it will also go by the land and the location. I would ask your realtor about this and wait for the appraisal. If the appraisal comes in lower than the asking price than you can ask for the price to be dropped or decide not to get it, again ask your realtor about this.

What is the size of the property?

Old 02-13-2008, 04:25 PM

Teeny. Only 0.2 acre, but the land next door might be on the market in a few years. I don't know if this is a decent deal. According to public records, the home/land was purchased for $50k in 2000. Seems everything is so expensive, even in this so-called soft market. We looked at some places in the $120s-$180s, but they were a fright. We even ran across a listing for 2 acres and a home for $200k, but the realtor in the listing said, "Consider this a tear down." And in another, where the house was concealed by a huge tree, the listing said, "No bathroom and running water." Also, $200k. Geez. I'd laugh if it wasn't so discouraging.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:27 PM

Oh, I should add (hehe) that I guess that large tree was supposed to be THE bathroom. Again, funny if it weren't reality.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:30 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,384,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingdollar View Post
Teeny. Only 0.2 acre, but the land next door might be on the market in a few years. I don't know if this is a decent deal. According to public records, the home/land was purchased for $50k in 2000. Seems everything is so expensive, even in this so-called soft market. We looked at some places in the $120s-$180s, but they were a fright. We even ran across a listing for 2 acres and a home for $200k, but the realtor in the listing said, "Consider this a tear down." And in another, where the house was concealed by a huge tree, the listing said, "No bathroom and running water." Also, $200k. Geez. I'd laugh if it wasn't so discouraging.
No bathroom , no running water that means you would need to put in a well and septic, also expensive. What does your realtor say? If all else I would put in the contract that your offer is contingent on the appraisal.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:37 PM

I'm wondering if the realtor wasn't showing you some of his OWNED properties...parcels that he bought for nothing and wants to pedal.
When you go back into those areas don't take the Lexus or Mercedes...rent a Chevrolet or Caravan.

Somehow you tipped those crooks off to the fact that you had some money to spend.
What a lot of flatlanders do is just travel around until they see a place they like and ask the folks if the want to sell.

Happened to a lady I know in Franklin...people asked if the old home place was for sale because it had the old log cabin on it...
She said 'No...They said, "Would you sell it all for 500k?" She said "Give me a check as down payment and we will do a deed in 10 days"

Most of these realtors are not locals...but foreign hari krishna from Portland, Oregon..
good luck on your next go around...as least you didn't get swindled this time.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:41 PM

Yeah, that's what makes sense. The cabin is in excellent shape, has a bathroom (composted waste system), wood stoves, electricity is up to code, uses rain water (not sure about that yet). Anyway, by sight, it's great, but not sure about the price and the rain water issue. I know there are "air wash" machines out there, in lieu of traditional washers/dryers, so if that's doable, I can warm to the idea. We used to live in the USVI, so we're used to depending on cistern water, though we bought our drinking water after getting pretty sick.
Have to thank you for listening to my rambling. Looking for a first home has been a little tense, so posting questions on this board is very therapeutic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia