Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:36 PM

4,962 posts, read 8,957,096 times

Advertisements

Williamson is unfortunately one of those cities that the coal companies really took advantage of. When coal was big, Williamson had a lot of activity going on and a lot to do. When the coal companies decided to maximize profit and mechanize everything or pull out all together, a lot of people lost their jobs. There isn't much in the town now. My dad is from a small town near Williamson and we drive through every once in awhile. He often talks about how much the town used to have compared to what it has now. It has a lot of empty store fronts and a lot of coal dust on everything as the trains still travel through town with loads of coal. There is a small mall and a Super Wal-mart in South Williamson but not a lot else around for entertainment. Moutain top removal is another issue which has scarred the landscape and filled in the smaller creeks and streams with dirt and mud from run-off. This often causes some severe flash flooding in the area as the creek and river beds have risen due to mountain top removal. If you are looking for solitude and good, friendly people though, Williamson may be what you are looking for. It has seen some retail growth in the last few years and the Hatfield-McCoy trail has also become a big attraction for those who like to ride ATVs. Hope this helps.
Tim

Old 03-12-2007, 05:26 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,856,577 times
Thanks Tim. That tells me a lot more about Williamson. It'll be worth checking out. I kind of like the size of it. Every place has some good and bad about it.

I'd enjoy somewhere close to the woods. I like to go hiking in the forest but I'm a bit too old to try any ATV stuff. I'd probably fall off.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:49 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,238,167 times
I'll put in my 2c worth for some towns along the Virginia border, south of Elkins and Blackwater Falls.

Lewisburg, in Greenbrier County, is a nice small city (or large town), lots of historical buildings in the downtown, recently some national retail (Lowes, WalMart) on the north side. WVa State Fair is held just south of town. White Sulphur Springs to the east, about 10 miles.

Marlinton, about 30 miles north of Lewisburg, is smaller, quieter. Most of Pocahontas County is the Monongahela National Forest or various state parks & forests. I believe it's the least densely populated county in the state, about 10,000 residents in about 1000 sq miles. Marlinton has a couple of grocery stores, a dollar store, several banks (must be money around there somewhere ).

There are, of course, literally hundreds of really small towns, with just a few hundred population, like Hillsboro, Green Bank, Frost, etc. All have their charms and their drawbacks, but their biggest selling point is that they're in West Virginia!

Snorpus

Old 03-13-2007, 05:10 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,908 times
Snorpus said it best in regards to WV towns and cities. "their biggest selling point is that they're in West Virginia!"

Old 03-26-2007, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 17,591 times
Cool I beg to differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatsark07 View Post
Do not listen to the people telling you about Huntington, it is a major college town and drugs are rampant as well as crime in general, Morgantown is expanding and probably offers the most opportunity. Wheeling in the northern panhandle, is the safest as far as crime goes, but sexual crimes are on the rise especially with children. There are few jobs in Wheeling but you have access to jobs in PA ( washington,Pittsburgh) depends on what you do. Wheeling , with the exception of downtown which is nasty, is a beautiful area and a great place to raise kids if you can find a job. why anyone would look to WV to improve their financial situation is beyond me. There is little opportunity, we rank highest in unemployment and poverty, and are at the top of the list for obesity and heart disease. most college graduates move out of state. Wheeling is very clickish also, if you have money people are your friends if not they completely ignore you and are quite rude

Dude, Wheeling is a ****hole. I am FROM Pittsburgh and I have been all over those northern towns in Wv. Including Morgantown. Wheeling has more crack and meth than any other city in Wv actually. The reason for this is because wheeling gets stomped on financially due to the fact that Pittsburgh is soo close. People go to Pittsburgh to spend their money. Morgantown: This is an ALRIGHT place considering that WVU is a wonderful school. I have many friends that go there and they love it. BUT, On the other hand.. If you are NOT a college student.. It will certainly SUCK for you to live in Morgantown. There is nothing to do, I think maybe ONE live music venue, and the streets are set up horribly. And talk about drugs, Geez, Morgantown is like a rest stop for extacsy dealers.. I actually KNOW this first hand.

I agree with the majority of the people on this page.. Huntington is by FAR the best city in the state of Wv. The reason for this is first off.. The weather.. Huntington by FAR has the best weather in the state.. Hands down. Also, Huntington is actually a VERY open minded city as well. I am in a goth/industrial band here in Huntington. I live here now because I like it better here than Pittsburgh. I wear makeup amd have facial piercings and nail polish. Im a freak. BUT, I will say that not ONE single person has EVER said anything to me about the way I look. There are many gay bars and art galleries here in this city.. And about 20+ music venues. Bars are open really late and I can always find something to do. Anywhere else in the state people will literally jump me for looking this way. As a matter of fact, I have had MUCH more trouble in Pittsburgh for being myself, Than here in Huntington.

However, There ARE a few accounts of crime in this area... BUT, The thing is, It is the largest area in the entire state.. People always seem to forget that there are 3 moderatley large cities in this area. Ashland,Ky.. Ironton,OH... And Huntington. NOT to mention there are little towns all in between these 3 cities. The total area population is 370,000. (I just looked in the almanac so dont disagree). That is MORE people than Pittsburgh. SO, If you want to take everything into effect.. Huntington is a VERY safe city. Even MORE safe in comparison than ANY other city/town in the state. Not to mention, I have found that if you stay AWAY from trouble.. Everything will be fine anyway. It kills me that people hate a place just because there is a little bit of crime there. Everything is relative to where you are. With no crime, That shows no personality.

Last edited by Waterlily; 03-30-2007 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Link-to personal site

Old 03-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Agreed.. well said friend. I am gay and this is by far the best area to be myself in the state

Old 03-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Too

1 posts, read 23,008 times
Angry Get Me Out Of Here

Here I am by a quirk of misfortune stuck in Lewisburg WV....A place where they don't even celebrate the fourth of July . A place where your income needs to be in the top bracket to shop downtown. A place that celebrates a civil war battle they LOST ........WV is a beautifull place (TO VISIT)..There is no southern hospitality in Lewisburg whatsoever...I was told by a local I wasn't far enought south for that..Yikes I am NOT moving to Mexico....
How I long for that great great day when I can return to NW PA

Old 03-31-2007, 12:45 AM

Hmmm.. I have only been there a few times (Lewisburg) that is. Only for the state fair a few times. I remember it seemed fairly nice but then again I didn't stray too far from the main highways. I can't believe its that closed minded there though

Old 03-31-2007, 05:18 PM

6 posts, read 57,110 times
Charleston is a beautiful city, not too big or too small. Some nice resturants, lots of nice people, the symphony, schools, shopping, parks, a mayor who has great interest in making this a better place to live. (Can't brag on the govorner though, so far he's all talk, no action. Besides he's extremely arrogant and thinks he's KING.) All in all if you are going to live in WV, this is probably the best city to be in.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:30 PM

6 posts, read 57,110 times
Charleston is a great place to live. Not too big or too small. Lots of great people, racially diverse, which is a must for me, shopping, symphony, parks. a great mayor who has tremendous in makeing this a better place to live. Can't say much for WV governor though, so I won't say anything. Housing in Charleston is way over priced. But not too bad in surrounding communities esp on I-64. All in all if you're going to live in WV this is the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia