Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:33 PM

688 posts, read 2,836,918 times

Advertisements

You must consider Pocahontas County, Randolph and also Greenbrier Counties! Search Pocahontas Co. WV, and also White Sulphur Springs, and The Greenbrier. Absolutely beautiful! In the fall, the foilage is breathtaking! The streams are so clear if you swim or wade in them when you look down you can see all the colorful rocks. There are taps in the sides of various mountains (you'll see them sticking out as your driving past them) where water is pouring out, well, you can stop on the side of the road and fill up your water bottle with it! Pure great tasting, very refreshing. There is also the caverns nearby, Cass Scenic Railroad train rides and snowshoe for skiing. Hope this helps! I grew up in Ripley. I have and Aunt and Uncle who live in Poc. Co. in Marlinton. Check out Pocahontas.org

Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Default to Lukepoke:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukepoke View Post
I lived in Huntington for 6 years before moving to Charlotte. It is a great place to live and has a lot going on for small city. I got my masters degree at Marshall with alot of monetary help from Inco Alloys/Special Metals, thanks to those fine folks. I never bought a home in Huntington but there are lots of great neighborhoods and the cost of living is reasonable. I didnt want to move there in 1996 when I got a job with Inco, my friends in Pittsburgh to me I was F...... crazy to move there. But I was truly surprised and I made some of my best, strongest friendships there. It's just too bad there isnt more employment opportunities.
Just curious because of the timeframe you worked at Inco....did you happen to work or know a guy named Daniel Riffe? I've been trying to find him, a dear old friend of mine he used to work there. Just trying here.....

Old 04-24-2007, 03:26 PM

394 posts, read 1,431,115 times
Quote:
What about Moundsville and/or New Martinsville?
I've grown up in Wheeling,and Moundsville, as well as having family in New Martinsville. It's fairly small and laid back,but there's not really much in the way of jobs and economics in the actual town. I don't really care for it because there's literally nothing to do there,socially.

The same, for the most part, can be said of NM.

As far as the best city in WV debate goes, I'd throw my hat in the Wheeling ring. People from Wheeling aren't as arrogant and money grubbing as a lot of people have said (although the downtown is a mess,I'll back up the person that said that). And it definitely has a Western PA/Northern OH feel to it (I refer to it as "Pittsburgh-light" most of the time). Plus, the "burb" areas like Elm Grove are great, the Parks are wonderful too. It sometimes even shocks me that the northern panhandle of WV is even considered WV most of the time. I am currently ready to finish up with my education at Marshall University and I can say for Huntington,I'd give a mixed review. I wouldn't really refer to it as having a southern charm to it or extremely accepting, as at least twice a week, I get harassed for my "yankee accent" or as being a "snobby northerner" by people sometimes. It also is seeing a lot of crime from Detroit coming here and many places of town are simply not a good idea to go to. That being said, I would rate my time here as far from negative. It's a very easy city to get around, is planned well, and the weather is good here. If you're looking for somewhere without a lot of snow, I'd highly recommend Huntington, as there isn't much of it. If southern WV is your thing, Huntington is where I'd go. If it's personality isn't vibing with what you're expecting, I'd come up north and check out Wheeling.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,992,401 times
There is different accent in Huntington (southern WV) than in the rest of the state. But I have never been called a yankee. I'm pretty sure these people down here know that the civil war ended. I'm only in my Junior year at Marshall though. I was told one time that I sounded like a news broadcaster but that didn't really offend me. Also, I'm gay, and the city is generally very accepting in my opinion to gays and lesbiens, african americans, asians, and latinos are all accepted here by everyone with at least some sense. Huntington is a fine city in my opinion. It is worth checking out

Old 04-25-2007, 06:05 AM

174 posts, read 732,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
Just curious because of the timeframe you worked at Inco....did you happen to work or know a guy named Daniel Riffe? I've been trying to find him, a dear old friend of mine he used to work there. Just trying here.....
I worked at Inco from 5/1996 until 7/2002. I cant seem to remember Daniel Riffe. At one time Inco was a huge employer in Huntington and there were still 1300 employees when I left there in 2002. Actually things are going quite well for them now, I still stay in touch with folks at the plant. The Nickel Plant is well known in the state for shipping high nickel alloy products to customers all around the world.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukepoke View Post
I worked at Inco from 5/1996 until 7/2002. I cant seem to remember Daniel Riffe. At one time Inco was a huge employer in Huntington and there were still 1300 employees when I left there in 2002. Actually things are going quite well for them now, I still stay in touch with folks at the plant. The Nickel Plant is well known in the state for shipping high nickel alloy products to customers all around the world.
ok, well thanks for getting back to me about that anyway.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,828,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Morgantown is far enough from the urban blight of Pittsburgh to provide a safe, wholesome environment

Wheeling has the world's best municipal park but otherwise is a small version of Pittsburgh (low incomes and losing population).
Yeah... it's nothing but "urban blight" up here in Pittsburgh... what ignorance... I'd wager that Pitt, Carnegie-Mellon, Duquesne and the other 30 or so colleges and universities in Metro Pittsburgh provide a tad more "educational opportunity" than Morgantown... I like Morgantown... but it's not even a State College, PA... it's a small town with a mid-tier large public university... Wheeling's been in decline and lacks the vibrancy that a large university affords... but at least it's a real city... it has a fantastic collection of Victorian homes in its core areas... which I suppose most people on this forum would consider "nasty" lol

As for Pittsburgh having lower incomes than Morgantown... get real

2005 Per Capita Personal Income:

Pittsburgh, PA metro - $36,530 (106% of the national average)
Morgantown, WV metro - $28,058 (81% of the national average)
Wheeling, WV metro - $27,565 (80% of the national average)

wow... Morgantown's incomes are almost as low as Wheeling's...

Old 04-27-2007, 01:26 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,992,401 times
Hmm... now kiss and make up

Old 04-27-2007, 03:57 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,731,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Hmm... now kiss and make up
Seconded
Yac.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:42 PM

215 posts, read 1,164,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
For small towns or county for that matter is Tucker.
Black Water Falls
Pure God's Country.
Make that pure "West By God's Country"

I was born and raised in Berkeley. Great at one time, but would not refer it now.
I'm moving to Davis next week! I have only explored the northern parts of WV, one day I'll explore the southern half.

Black Water Falls -- breathtaking! It is pure God's Country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia