Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 09:42 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinTheMountains View Post
I'm moving to Davis next week! I have only explored the northern parts of WV, one day I'll explore the southern half.

Black Water Falls -- breathtaking! It is pure God's Country!
You will enjoy it.
Ole Tabernacle, NJ.
I used to live in Mt. Laurel just beside the Medford limits.

Are you retiring and running from the taxes?

I miss the South Jersey area. My adopted hometown

Old 04-29-2007, 07:57 AM

215 posts, read 1,164,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
You will enjoy it.
Ole Tabernacle, NJ.
I used to live in Mt. Laurel just beside the Medford limits.

Are you retiring and running from the taxes?

I miss the South Jersey area. My adopted hometown
Wow, small world. No I'm not retiring. My husband and I got married three years ago and always talked about living in the mountains. We scoped out north central PA and it was nice but it wasn't quite what we were looking for. Colorado was too expensive and too far from our family in NJ. So I heard the John Denver song "Take me home country roads" and I was like "Hey! Let's take a look at WV! There's gotta be nice mountains if John Denver's singing about it!"

So last August was our first trip and we loved it. October 2006 we stayed a week and we decided to make it our home. March 2007 we visited for another week and I didn't wanna go back to Jersey, lol.

So Thursday we'll officially be residents of WV. We love the people, the mountains and the scenery, we love the clean air and clean water, the meadows along the slopes of the mountains where the cows peacefully graze, the small bubbling streams where the deer come to drink, etc.

Almost heaven is what we've found in WV.

As far as NJ goes, it's just too expensive to live here. We're not rich, we're just a normal family with an average income, but there is no place for the middle class family here. Taxes make the cost of rental homes and apartments ridiculously high. I figured in the cost of living comparison on an online calculator, and with our income in NJ, it's 23% cheaper to live in WV. Although the pay isn't always as high in NJ, the cost of living makes a huge difference.

NJ is not for us. My husband was born and raised here, I moved here when I was 9 (from Staten Island). We don't like it here, it's crowded, busy, trafficky, overpriced housing, insurance kinda high. I won't miss this place at all.

Mt. Laurel and Medford are nice areas however, better than most around this area of the state. South Jersey is by far way nicer than north jersey, but I wouldn't come back to live here if someone paid me.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:20 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,908 times
I'm so happy you'll be joining us in WV! Its going to be a beautiful spring and summer!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:42 AM

215 posts, read 1,164,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
I'm so happy you'll be joining us in WV! Its going to be a beautiful spring and summer!
Amen to that! http://bestsmileys.com/excited/3.gif (broken link)

Old 05-03-2007, 03:48 PM

16 posts, read 58,888 times
Default Wheeling

I was reading what someone posted about Wheeling.
First, sexual crime is not an issue in Wheeling.
I was raised there. Crime is extremely low.
There is a beautiful park (Oglebay), and as stated before, easy access to Pittsburgh and other areas in PA and OH.
Some people are cliquish, and some are not.
I have found that this is pretty much how it goes anywhere.
They are building an amusement park bigger than Kennywood (in Pittsburgh) within the next few years, and are starting to build around the Dallas Pike area.
I would suggest you check it out.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:48 PM

62 posts, read 201,099 times
It always amazes me how everyone, puts so much emphasis on crime. If you live in a town 0f 2000 people there will still be crime and there will still be drugs, people in the country use just as much meth as people in the city. There is no magic place where you will be safe from crime.
I
m not from WV but I just got back from taking a postal exam and traveling around the entire state (except for wheeling and weirton) and would like to my opinion. WV has nice scenery and I personally am planning on moving there, but as far as the towns go, they should only be compared to other wv cities because they are almost all full of rotting buildings and empty streets, and you won't find many states with their largest city at only around 50,000
people in the city proper. I found good things about every city, except for Clarksburg, which was undescribley grimy and devoid of shopping, the guy at the gas station said i would have to go to bridgeport just to go to Wal-mart.

Noone's metioned it but I thought if one had money to spend Harper's Ferry was a beautiful small town.
I apologize for my longtypedness.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:01 AM

673 posts, read 4,070,530 times
I am not familiar with much of West Virginia. But I was in Wheeling and thought it was a fantastic small city.

Lots of hills and trees, a unique downtown and lots of nice historic row-houses. When I went through there it changed my image on West Virginia. Very, very nice region out there!

When and if I move to Ohio I really want to see Morgantown though!

Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 15,350 times
I moved to Gerrardstown (just outside of Inwood) last June from Warrenton Va. It is very quiet but almost too quiet. It's been hard to meet friends and I'm not to fond of Martinsburg, mainly because I don't know my way around. Some places in Martinsburg looks a little "scary". Does anyone know a good way to meet paople around here? I'm 27 years old and have 2 kids, living with boyfriend. I moved here because it was cheaper than where I am from which is a great advantage but have thought about moving back because I am an hour and 15 minutes from my job and friends. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 05-12-2007, 09:57 PM

117 posts, read 215,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBUTTRFLY View Post
I moved to Gerrardstown (just outside of Inwood) last June from Warrenton Va. It is very quiet but almost too quiet. It's been hard to meet friends and I'm not to fond of Martinsburg, mainly because I don't know my way around. Some places in Martinsburg looks a little "scary". Does anyone know a good way to meet paople around here? I'm 27 years old and have 2 kids, living with boyfriend. I moved here because it was cheaper than where I am from which is a great advantage but have thought about moving back because I am an hour and 15 minutes from my job and friends. Anyone have any suggestions?
Well lets see--- they have plenty of strip clubs in the area to meet others. One idea you may want to try is the Herald-Mail newspaper online forums. there are many from your area that go in there and hey are very open with having meet and greets and so forth.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:47 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,908 times
ACA1 - Bridgeport is essentially a part of Clarksburg, its only like 5 or 10 minutes from downtown Clarksburg to Emily Drive in Bridgport where the Wal Mart is. Possibly longer if traffic is bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia