Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:18 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,319,423 times

Advertisements

Arch is behind the scenes...doing his work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 12:59 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,378,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I love to see news like this. By all means, bring it on, tell the world we are fat, toothless, devoid of health care or knowledge. Perfect. Playing right into my long-term plans to be left alone by meddling other states. We've done pretty darned well on granny's recipe in the woods and i intend to continue that path. everyone knows the grannies, most never had kids
I bet Alice is actually the one who wrote the article.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:17 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,611,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
I bet Alice is actually the one who wrote the article.
Ssshhhhhh!

Old 11-18-2008, 01:23 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,619,147 times
Definitely puts a new spin on the name THUNDERING HERD...

In all seriousness the author could've been a little more positive by offering some testimony from local medical experts who might have disagreed with the findings. I guess there is only so much generosity to go around though when you are writing a story about the fattest and most unhealthy city in America.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:02 PM

343 posts, read 510,605 times
Why are you defending a place full of lardasses? How about instead of screaming LIBERAL CONSPIRACY why not try to find out why this place is so fat and fix the problem?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdistheWord View Post
Why are you defending a place full of lardasses? How about instead of screaming LIBERAL CONSPIRACY why not try to find out why this place is so fat and fix the problem?
You do have a very valid point. I also disagree with the liberal conspiracy to regulate what people eat...people just need to be educated on healthier living options, plain and simple.

I was merely saying there are usually two sides to every story and that the author could've perhaps included a little bit from the other side while still equally making his point. The author certainly didn't have to tell me obesity is a SERIOUS problem in West Virginia, I see it everywhere when I come back and visit. I've also seen it in a lot of rural areas throughout the southern United States.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:04 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,378,115 times
Sometimes it's interesting to explore the philosophy of others - see if this forum is just an outlet for them to be ignorant, rude, and boorish or if they are sincere. In so doing, came across a cute map of the US. Guess we are not the only state to talk of secession. (PS, Poster of the map had nothing to do with my curiosity).
//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...iend-made.html

Old 11-18-2008, 05:18 PM

Interesting map vec.. not sure how it relates to the obesity problem in Huntington but oh well.

As a DC area resident though I can assure you that Delaware, Maryland and Northern Virginia wouldn't want anything to do with the South (or Confederacy as it shows). People up here HATE if you even think about saying they are southern, it's quite amusing. We are quite liberal in this part of VA...they do call us "The Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia" for a reason.

I would also rather West Virginia become its own country before rejoining the Confederacy. Or what ever happened to that nation of Appalachia that people were creating on this forum?

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 11-18-2008 at 05:46 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 06:23 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,319,423 times
Up until the Great Society Fiasco came in the late 1960's with all the 'get it for nothing philosophy because you're too dumb and underpriviledged...

Our people were lean...they did a lot of walking...we children had P.E. in the schools and much of the food came from the garden behind the house...

The re-education has worked very well...our children now graze like animals as they work their video games...our old folks, who haven't yet died, are given Social Disability for being fat...and most feel they are owed something because they breathe in air...

to use a phrase from the 'negro community..."they have been Pimped Out...

Pimped out very well indeed...and now criticized for accepting the welfare system...

Old 11-18-2008, 08:11 PM

4,965 posts, read 8,962,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
Interesting map vec.. not sure how it relates to the obesity problem in Huntington but oh well.
The obesity problem isn't limited to Huntington. It's a nationwide problem that affects all of WV especially. Huntington itself actually fairs better than most of WV. Again, this is something that needs to be worked on but the poor numbers for the Huntington MSA were worsened by the poor numbers of the folks across the river in KY and OH who are part of Huntington's MSA. There are few parks for those people in those area and few gyms. Those who can have to come to Huntington for parks and exercise as there are few opportunities in those areas. Huntington has one of the highest numbers of parks in WV and also has the second highest number of people who walk to work in WV. There are lots of local initiatives like Walk it up! and Healthy Huntington to try to fix these problems so to suggest, as the author did, that people here are just saying "Oh well, who cares" is totally false. Here's another article from a gentleman who is leading the charge locally trying to change these things about what he wanted the author to put into the story but it of course didn't make it.

Tom Dannals: Multiple factors play into lack of exercise in Tri-State region - The Herald Dispatch
HEALTHYHUNTINGTON BACKGROUND
walkituppage.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia