Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:36 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times

Advertisements

As I've said so in the past...'Many of our problems are regional...

1. It's not in the best interest in the powers who run our state to create wealth for the individual by giving a workable wage.
If a person wants to create wealth, he must 'jump through the hoops of business to do that.
In Wv those hoops are High and Close Together. They are made as a hinderance to keep out other businesses that might compete for the pie. This exists on the Municipal, City, County, Regional and State level and it's networked...

One example...just recently, our Gov. got involved in TV Cable channel selection...
Who, anywhere would make such a deal out of something so insignificant? It was to close a gap and send a message to that and other businesses on how things are done in Wv.

2. Why would our people NOT want to work/live in Charlotte (we have over 200,000 there from the '85 out-migration alone), Columbus or Pittsburgh?
These areas are in reality a part of us (we have family there from the '59 out-migration) and show What Wv could have been here, if it had been allowed to prosper completely.

3. These regions provide a safe haven when life and survival become impossible in Wv...(as other family are established and provide economic tranquility)

These Strangle-holds are much more than a Education Statistic...It's like looking at a accident patient who has his juglar cut and giving him an aspirn for the headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 11:32 PM

52 posts, read 90,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Young people are often more liberal and often feel like they just don't fit in here at all, all of my friends that have moved have moved for that reason more than the economic conditions. That is probably what will be why I move too once I graduate. I want to be around other young, open minded, well educated people. Which just can't be found in WV to the degree I've experienced in other places.

Peoples attitudes play such a role in this, an attitude of regression rather than progression.
Young people are liberal until they pull their head out of their behind.
I am a 26 year old registered nurse working on a critical care floor at a level three trauma center, so I am educated.
I am very conservative (Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck) though I was once was a liberal. That changed when I had a child and realized the world didn't revolve around me, which most liberals feel it does.
Liberalism is a mental disorder and one WV has little tolerance for. If you don't like it here, take your yellow liberal hide somewhere else!

Old 06-28-2009, 04:43 AM

RomanCatholic:

I've never heard Liberalism described quite like that...or so well.

GHO (Cody) is beginning to throw off the vestigages of his college indoctrination as we speak.
He is in the beginning stages of some denial now...He's still tied to certain groups who would have him think that way..
Maturity is a process all of us undergo...Cody will be fine. He's had good role models here at City-Data.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:56 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IveHadEnough View Post
It's WV we are talking about. They've cornered the market on cartoonish and one dimensional.

I see it every day dealing with the public. You would too, if you just opened your eyes, or had a modicum of education.
I'd love to add WV hillbillies to my list of groups that deserve special
attention but that is something that must be earned fairly and honestly.
I can't just take your word for it. Good reason must exist first.
And the reasoning must fairly represent the group. Those are the rules.
Mountain folk are just too easy a target. Everyone has seen Deliverance.
So put your keen observation skills and that high school diploma to the test.
Convince me that these people you deride as stupid really deserve that title.
My mind is open.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:03 AM

128 posts, read 444,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
I'd love to add WV hillbillies to my list of groups that deserve special
attention but that is something that must be earned fairly and honestly.
I can't just take your word for it. Good reason must exist first.
And the reasoning must fairly represent the group. Those are the rules.
Mountain folk are just too easy a target. Everyone has seen Deliverance.
So put your keen observation skills and that high school diploma to the test.
Convince me that these people you deride as stupid really deserve that title.
My mind is open.
Constant election of criminals to public office. General apathy. Population easily bought off by out of state coal companies for a pittance of what they really are worth. Again, general apathy towards education. Constant fights against school consolidation. County after county school system being taken over by the state for failure to do their job. Hell, the MEDIA is even part of the problem by perpetuating the above-mentioned apathy. Just look at how badly the "local" wv media completely ignored the Heather Bresch story. It had to be broken and kept alive by "outsiders," for several months until it reached the point of critical mass and finally couldn't be ignored. If it was up to the Charleston Newspapers and the Dominion Post, Garrison would still be in charge, and Bresch would be touting her MBA. Hell, there were even editorials by WV newspapers early on that were CRITICIZING the P'burgh PG for simply looking to stir up trouble. When in fact, the PPG was the only one who was telling the truth. Even Hoppy Kercheval ignored it for months.

The list is endless.

But, it's not my job to convince you. Besides, if you can't already see it and I have to lay out the facts for you, you more than likely never will understand it, and are more than likely part of the problem.

Oh, and I have muuuuuuuuuuuch more education than a HS diploma. Much more. Why? Because my parents taught me the value of a college education. Something also sorely missing in most households in WV.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:09 AM

128 posts, read 444,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanCatholic View Post
I am a 26 year old registered nurse working on a critical care floor at a level three trauma center, so I am educated.
I am very conservative (Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck) though I was once was a liberal. That changed when I had a child and realized the world didn't revolve around me, which most liberals feel it does.
Liberalism is a mental disorder and one WV has little tolerance for. If you don't like it here, take your yellow liberal hide somewhere else!
If you believe what those three disc jockeys say, you clearly aren't very educated.

There's not a college degree between the three of them.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:38 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Quote:
Typical... since you're so educated you probably realized I said in my post that I was probably leaving once I graduated... and that is the typical attitude that is contributing to the demise of our state. Congratulations.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:40 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
RomanCatholic:

I've never heard Liberalism described quite like that...or so well.

GHO (Cody) is beginning to throw off the vestigages of his college indoctrination as we speak.
He is in the beginning stages of some denial now...He's still tied to certain groups who would have him think that way..
Maturity is a process all of us undergo...Cody will be fine. He's had good role models here at City-Data.
Excuse me David! Don't make assumptions of me throwing anything away. I'm just able to think on my own, and form my own conclusions and assumptions. Just because my mindset isn't like someone who is 60 years old or conservative apparently means I'm wrong? Nothing is being thrown away, if anything I'm growing more and more intelligent every time I question something. I'm not like all the other sheep. I'm not in denial whatsoever, if anything many of the conservatives on here are.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:41 AM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
I have many fiscally conservative friends, but the Republican party of today has been hijacked by a strong southern based socially conservative element. Social conservatives love using "big government" to advance their own social values on others often times...

Old 06-28-2009, 12:00 PM

GHO:

Liberal Religion takes a certain vindictive meaness...sorry, but you lack this essential trait.

What your Grand-father has for a mindset is what you will become...cautious and conservative..

Wait and see.

Both political parties are the same...

and yes, Wv is run by two types... the Convicted and the Un-Convicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia